We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

After Install - Parse Error - OldFuture Theme Changer | Forum

Mark
Mark Apr 30 '14

Installed the plugin and it immediately gave me this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home3/xxxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxx/ow_plugins/themechanger/bol/service.php on line 78

Had to delete the plugin from the site in order to get the site back up

Please Help

Sen Projects
Sen Projects Apr 30 '14
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the information. Can you PM me the following details.

1. FTP access.
2. Website url.
3. Website admin access.

It could be that the plugin got corrupted during your download. We will look into it.

Thank you.
Mark
Mark Apr 30 '14

PM Sent - please read - at this point I can't upload the plugin as it crashes the site with the parse error - You will need to upload and hopefully figure out what is causing this.

Thanks For Your Help

Sen Projects
Sen Projects May 1 '14
Hi Mark,

We were able to identify the issue. Your server is failing when it is executing a php shorthand if statement which the ThemeChanger has it on line 78, this is cause of the

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':'  in /home3/xxxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxx/ow_plugins/themechanger/bol/service.phpon line 78".

The solution we made is to change the line in to regular if statement. After we changed the if statement into a regular if statement the plugin stopped giving the reported syntax error.

Another problem arised. ThemeChanger is installed now without syntax error but it doesn't changed the theme when we select a theme from the ThemeChanger widget.

May we ask what modifications do you have in your Oxwall installation? 

Even if we hardlink this http://yoursitename.com/?theme=origin it doesn't change the theme into "Origin" theme.

Thank you.

Mark
Mark May 1 '14

There has been no changes to the site, the only thing we have done is add plugins and change words in the language files.

I would really like this to work, one thing that you mentioned is a let down, we only want to be able to switch between two themes, and from you telling me that the "origin" theme has to be installed, this is a theme we would not use as a selection. it a good theme but we would have to completely change the css and images to get what we are looking for and that is something we are not comfortable doing.

Is there a way to make the plugin to where you could select which themes are available to the members for selecting... this would be a great option for the plugin.

I hope you can figure out what is causing this - this plugin seems to be a great idea and would love it work on our site, the only thing I can think of is there is another plugin that is conflicting with Theme Changer plugin..

If you login to the FTP  - you can see all the plugins we have.

The Forum post is edited by Mark May 1 '14
Mark
Mark May 1 '14

UPDATE:

I decided to see if maybe there was an issue with a different plugin or a theme issue.

I downloaded the Oxwall 1.6 and did a fresh install in a sub folder. I completed the install and re-downloaded the Theme Changer plugin and installed.

as soon as I "installed" the plugin I immediately received the
"Parse Error"

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':'  in 

/home3/xxxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxx/ow_plugins/themechanger/bol/service.phpon line 78".

Please let me know what to do - I would like to use this plugin

Sen Projects
Sen Projects May 1 '14
Hi Mark,

PM sent.

Mark
Mark May 2 '14

Got it - so my question is this:

Is there other people out here that uses GatorHost as their provider?

If so is there any settings in the cPanel or PHP.INI that need to be changed?

I did noticed that they increased my Cron Job to 15 minutes, but it doesn't seem to affect the site or mailings

Mark
Mark May 3 '14
Please let me know what changes you made to the plugin to get this error to go away - I am testing on a fresh install - but I have no idea what you changed on the script and would like to see if this will work on a fresh install
Mark
Mark May 3 '14

UPDATE:

We figured out what was causing the initial Parse Error

We found that GatorHost has PHP Handlers running ( 5.4 )

When we turned off the handler, the parse error went away and the test site functions as designed - Theme changer works without error

Now I have to figure out what was changed on the Live site and see why the Theme Changer shows up with out errors, but won't actually change the theme - this is on our Live site, so its something that was changed - we are not sure as we have not modified any code - the only thing we have done was the language file through the Admin Panel and CSS changes to one theme ( header image and size )

Sen Projects
Sen Projects May 4 '14
Hi Mark,

Good to know that Theme Changer is working now without errors. PM sent on the changes made.

Thank you.

You do not have permission to reply this topic