We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Database Back Ups | Forum

Mark
Mark May 6 '14

As sites grow and more content gets stored in the database, I am wondering if there is a easy way to back up the database in segments?

As most people know, there is a limitation to phpMyAdmin and most other MySQL connection clients can handle.

Our database has far surpassed that limitation and if we were to loose our database and needed to restore from a back up, we would most likely have to manually break up the saved SQL file into sections to get it restored.

Looking for suggestions - I am not a MySQL, php, or any other type of guru, so I do not have the skill level to create or understand what would need to be done to have the database backed up in segmented fashion.

John
John May 6 '14
Hi Mark,

For starters, Oxwall carries about 4 meg of overhead. Chris_W and I have both reduced the size of an empty database from over 4 meg to around 450kb. We think the overhead is to do with the Watchdog plugin which is switched off by default:

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/17645

For seconds, you can export your DB to a Text file or whatever via the export feature in MySQlAdmin in cPanel.

You can tick as many tables as you want and do a hundred Exports if that's a concern. When you do a reinstall, just import each file one after the other.

I had to use that trick to export/import from my server to WAMP. It works fine.

Try doing an export from the server to your WAMP installation.

John