We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Help with custom links | Forum

Jordan
Jordan May 6 '14
SO i have Oxwall on my server as my main interface but can not stand the forms that are included so I have an installation of SMF under /forums folder. Using the FAQ located here how to link to my custom link I named it forum changed my htaccess file but when i do and my site will return a 404 on every page that i link to on the oxwall interface (good news is the forum link will take me to my SMF forums and not the oxwall)  but then everything else is broken. Any advice?
John
John May 6 '14
Hi Jordan,

My reading of this is that Simple Machines is not really a custom page. It's actually an external link even though SMF exists as a script on your site.

I just did a test and it worked perfectly. I also din't have to modify my .htaccess file. Here's what I did and it should also work for you. I'll spell it out in case someone else has a similar problem some time down the track:

1. Place SMF in a directory or folder of its own. Avoid mixing it up with Oxwall:
    Root/my_oxwal_site
    Root/my_smf

2. Make sure SMF is running without issues. Treat it as a completely different program.

3. Go to Admin/Plugins and deactivate the Forum Plugin. You may wish to keep it alive to use with Groups etc. In that case, go to Admin/Pages & Menus and rename the button. You can then move it to the bottom of the admin screen under Hidden pages. Then nobody will be able to see it when they're viewing the site.
-----------------
4. Go to Oxwall Admin/Pages & Menus and click the Add Item button in the Pages section
5. Click the External URL radio button under Page Address.
6. Enter the name of the menu item: Forum
7. Enter the full URL to SMF: http:/www/my_site.com/smf
8. I suggest you tick Open in new window, but this is your choice.
Note: Don't enter anything in the local page box.
9. Click Submit.

10. Go back to your site and the Forum menu item will be listed.
11. Click the link and it will take you to SMF.

That's it.

In your case, make sure you restore the .htaccess file.

Jordan
Jordan May 17 '14
Thank you for helping with this. I tried everything you said and it still does not work. The only difference is i have mine as 

Root with my_oxwal_site
    Root/forum/smf_forum

I did your method and it just says page not found

Any other advice 

I feel if this was a fresh install and i had seprated my sites alittle better this method would have worked, I dont want to run my data bases and such bu just moving everything in to a sub older

Jordan
Jordan May 19 '14
Thank you so much that is what i needed but you said this -
Quote from Chris_W You can make it display as part of your site, create your link as a "new page" instead of an outside URL, then add this code to your page:

Where whould i place that code at. I tried the custom footer and header section but just put it on top of the site. Again thanks again for your help mate
Pete
Pete May 20 '14
set it up using a sub domain and it should work fine
Jordan
Jordan May 24 '14
Thank you kindly that help and is working thank you again 
Steve
Steve Jun 11 '14
Chris,

Your members will now have to sign up on the forums instead of being automatically included like the Forums plugin, right? Since the forums use a separate database? Or is there a way to pass information (like userName variable) to the new forums?
Steve
Steve Jun 11 '14
Well, you can hide the entire header and footer with CSS, so I imagine you can hide the buttons in a similar fashion. Not sure what div element is used for those buttons, but something like:

.ow_??????
{

display:none !important;

}

would probably do it.
Jordan
Jordan Apr 18 '16
I have since destroyed the original configuration and was setting up using oxwall 1.8.2 and SMF 2.0.11 i can get it to display the frame of the where it should be showing up but it is not pulling up the actual forums. Now when i can get to the forums nothing is showing up with themes  Here is a copy of my /httaccess

Any help would be greatfull

Got it to work but not in the frame that is my next task

The Forum post is edited by Jordan Apr 18 '16