We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Password for user with facebook connect | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Dhananjay Gupta
Dhananjay Gupta Jun 3 '14
Hi all

I don't know it is an issue or a normal thing.

For the users logged in with facebook connect - 

1.) the user is not able to change is password

2.) neither he is able reset it with - forget password

please tell me what is the password for users logged in with facebook account.

I expected it to be facebook password or atleast the user should be able to change the password later on so that his account becomes independent of facebook login

Thanks

Dhananjay

ross Team
ross Jun 4 '14
Member cannot login to the website directly using his FB account access details, he/she need either use FB login or reset their passwords in order to login to the website directly with the FB username. 

In order to change the password on the website, they have to reset their password first, then they'll be able to do that on the website. 

If you don't get reset password e-mail, there's something wrong with your cron job. Make sure it is properly configured. 

JB TECH
JB TECH Jun 4 '14
To change a password if a user has connected using a third-party connection plugin, they must log out and click 'Forgot Password.' From there, they need to enter their email that is associated with their account and then follow the directions. They will now be able to login without having to use the connection button(s) again.

I do believe, however, that changes should be made to the social network connection/sync plugins - they should only submit a user's basic info like email, name, gender, and birthday and leave the rest of the registration to the user. So clicking on Facebook Connect will redirect the user to the /join page but their email, name, gender, age, etc., has already been filled out for them by clicking that button.

~Jake

Dhananjay Gupta
Dhananjay Gupta Jun 5 '14
Hi

Thanks to Ross & Jake

It means that for the user creating account on oxwall website - with his/her facebook account can't Reset his password for the first time because he does not knows the "Old Password". Instead if he wants to change his password he has to take the help of "Forget Password link" and the reset instructions will be send to his email

Am I right?

If yes, cannot we get the old password - so that user can change the password from "Profile Edit" link

It should be like that - for the users signing up with their facebook account - the default password should be word "password" which the user immediately changes after first login with fb. It is more logical. Can't Oxwall team do this improvement

Thanks

Dhananjay

ross Team
ross Jun 5 '14
Yes, you're right, in order to enter the website with his FB username, he need to use Forget Password link, then he/she will be able to do that directly on the website. 

As to the default password, please make a suggestion on uservoice: http://oxwall.uservoice.com/forums/13756-ideas-for-oxwall