We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Widget question - Ultimate News 1.01 | Forum

Dominick
Dominick Jun 19 '14

The widget "Top News" doesn't seem to be working. I can place it on the side bar but after closing the customizing section, the widget disappears under normal running. I am still configuring news so maybe there's a reason for that not showing yet.

Can I get that "Top News" widget to appear on other pages?

Dominick
Dominick Jun 21 '14
It's been several days and no response to issue.
Martin Philipps
Martin Philipps Aug 4 '14
hmmm, looks like their service is not really what the price of the plugin would suggest... Not really discouraging for me as potential buyer. I asked also a few questions today, I'll will see how long they take to answer...
Dominick
Dominick Aug 4 '14

They are slow to respond. The plugin is stand alone and it did work but the widget only works in the news portion. For some reason it doesn't seem to load in IE in the sidebar but was fine on other browsers. However it's the best NEWS plugin there is. Imports the total article. Adds headlines to the feed. Has a lot of options. Was definitely worth every penny.

Avoid the News plugin form Aron. Terrible, just like his, response time, and attitude.

Martin Philipps

Yes, I already ruled out Arons plugins - they have ALL without exception very bad reviews and his screenshosts look all aweful...

But I was considering Purus simple "RSS Reader" for only 5$, creating also a "News" site in the main menu alimented with RSS feeds from different sites. Looks also nice. But of course categories etc. are missing.

Since the developer of this plugin here does not reply: can you tell me the difference between "News"/"My News" and "Feeds"/"My Feeds" in this plugin? I thought all infos are coming from RSS feeds... why the difference in this plugin?

Dominick
Dominick Aug 4 '14

You can take a look at my site: http://nakedgameplay.com a social network for game developers. I have a dozen or more news sources. You can see how headlines are added to the main feed too, a great add on that makes things look very active. In addition the whole article is imported with images. It's also smart in that it doesn't always push users activity down if it was just posted, but appears below, allowing user activity to stay visible slightly longer. The formatting is good to for posting to twitter, if use social sharing tools to promote. The pages are also ready to submit to google as well. In fact I purchased almost all of their plugins. Totally can enhance your site if you use them correctly. I've tried all the other plugins. This one crushes them all.

You need to contact them through their site and open a ticket and it takes a few days for a response but, the plugins are solid.

As far as Aron goes, steer clear. He responds rudely as if your stupid and his plugins are not mis-represented. I'm going to report him to oxwall. Post about his attitude, poor response time, and terrible plugins.

Good Luck

Martin Philipps

Thank you!

I just bought it, now playing around with its options...

but my side bar completely disappeared from the "News" page. Fortunately it is still there on all other pages... 

Dominick
Dominick Aug 4 '14
That's because it's stand alone. It has it's own sidebar separate from the main oxwall system. You can add the news widget but I found it doesn't appear with Internet Explorer but works with all other browsers. I found that to be a small trade off. Watch for that phrase "stand alone" when you buy a plugin. Other than that, it's awesome. It's my biggest traffic generation tool.
The Forum post is edited by Dominick Aug 4 '14
Martin Philipps

but my own old sidebar does appear when I open "Manage feeds" or "Manage news" etc. Only the main page when actually seeing the news then my sidebar is gone... :(

Dominick
Dominick Aug 4 '14

What's your site address? I definitely want to contact them concerning this, I've just been too busy. It's always better when two or more get together about an issue. Regardless, it's the best plugin for news. At least they need to add a custom/html widget to their system. I've used the custom/html plugin on my home page to add news, but it requires a manual approach. But since it post headlines into the feed, I found it really wasn't needed.

The Forum post is edited by Dominick Aug 4 '14
Martin Philipps
Martin Philipps Aug 5 '14

I realized that the sidebar is only gone when I am opening the site with my Admin account. With all other accounts the sidebar is visible.

But the "Top News" widget does not work at all... But I can live with that. The news site is just awesome!

Martin Philipps
Martin Philipps Aug 5 '14
you mean a custom/html widget on the main page? What code did you enter there?
Dominick
Dominick Aug 8 '14
I just copy the content of their widget into a code editor ( I used frontpage ) switch to code view and then copy the paste it into the custom/html widget on the main page. It needs a slight edit, but worked fine,
Martin Philipps
Martin Philipps Aug 10 '14
that sounds good, but where do I find there widget code?
Dominick
Dominick Aug 10 '14
DOMINICK.GENTILE@GMAIL.COM is my Skype address. reach out to me tomorrow and I can show you much faster that explain via Skype. 

In the meantime go to younet and open a ticket requesting a Custom HTML widget. I already did and explained that I've been receiving questions concerning their plugin despite this widget limitation and still recommended it. I was pretty detailed. Mention my name too. This will add some validity to my request. When 2 or more people ask for something, we're more likely to get it.

I already got a response and they are considering it. I get almost 3000 visitors a day aggregating news through twitter but, have a 75% bounce rate because it's difficult to lead them in to other parts of the site or advertise. The plugin is great for building traffic but the limitations or lack of Custom HTML widget makes it hard to capitalize on that traffic.

Look forward to talking to you.

Martin Philipps
Martin Philipps Aug 11 '14
Thank you for sharing, and I am sorry for my late reply. I was busy with work - my oxwall site is something I do besides...

I have not written to the developer yet, but will certainly do so. I'll keep you updated.

But it's already interesting for how long we can communicate here on their(!) forum and they don't at all realize it.. :)

Martin Philipps
ok, I wrote them a description of the widget problem, now waiting for there answer...
Martin Philipps
I also suggested to them a new widget for "featured feeds". Right now one is dependent on users to feature news. But I would prefer that the Admin is able to choose a RSS feed to be featured - and all news from that feed would automatically be  and displayed in its own widget...
Martin Philipps
Martin Philipps Aug 23 '14
Hello Dominick,

I had opened two tickets wit YouNet, one describing my widget problems and one with a feature suggestion. The only answer I got was that my two tickets were combined into one. Then I waited. Now I got the message that my ticket was closed - but I never got an answer to my questions or solution to my problems... They are expensive but their service = 0...

Dominick
Dominick Aug 23 '14
They upgraded the plugin and fixed and addressed everything. Integrated sidebars. You can add custom html or put "top news" on home page.  Make sure you go into maintenance mode and uninstall the first plugin first. Then install the new one. I had some issues with it. They will install it for you if you request. Supply them with all your info for front end and back end log in. Works much better now.
The Forum post is edited by Dominick Aug 23 '14
Pages: 1 2 »
You do not have permission to reply this topic