We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Adding "New Topic" in the forum | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Mike
Mike Sep 25 '11
Is it possible to only allow admins or moderators to create new topics in the forum?

Thanks!
Den Team
Den Sep 26 '11
Yes, you can create a special User Role (Some thing like Forum moderator) in Admin Panel->Privacy&Permissions and give a permission to "Create forum topics" for this role. And remove this option for FREE user role.
Mike
Mike Sep 26 '11
Thanks Addenster, I've done this and don't think I'm doing this wrong.

The issue is the only option is "Create/Edit topic" -- when I uncheck this option on the FREE user role they cannot create new topics but they also can't post to the topics on the site.

Am I missing a step?

BTW.. I've subscribed to new posts but never get notified on this site. My email is working so I'm unsure of the problem but thought you might want to know should it be a system problem.
Mike
Mike Sep 26 '11
Could the solution be adding a custom css setting to simply remove the "New Topic" button completely? If not a css setting somewhere else in the code to do the same thing. If in the code might you be able to direct me where?
Den Team
Den Sep 27 '11
Hi Mike
As a solution, you can lock topic's after creation. There is no option "Allow posting on the forum" in permissions settings. You can do it via CSS changes, cos it must be programmed. 
Regrading your email notifications, do you have cronjob installed correctly? What are you cronjob settings?
Mike
Mike Sep 27 '11
HI Addenster... the site I'm running the email works fine. What I was saying is I am not getting emails from this site even though I am subscribed to this forum.

I am wondering though about the frequency of the cron jobs. I have two for oxwall. One that was from the install instructions and another to get the emails working.

Does they need to run every second? Can I don once an hour? Is there somewhere on this site where I can read what the cron jobs do?

Here are the two I have running:

php -q /home4/couponp1/public_html/y-club-footballpen/ow_cron/run.php; /home4/couponp1/public_html/y-club-footballpen/ow_core/cron.php

and

/home4/couponp1/public_html/y-club-footballpen/ow_cron/run.php
Mike
Mike Sep 27 '11
I found this: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/63

Do I need both of these cron jobs? The 2nd one is what I read from the install notes. The first one I used because I could not get emails to work, now they do. This was prior to me starting the topic btw.

I do get permission denied on both though even though the site seems to be working just fine. Is this normal?
Den Team
Den Sep 28 '11
No, you don't need this cronjob
/home4/couponp1/public_html/y-club-footballpen/ow_core/cron.php 
This is not a cronjob file and the usage of this file is incorrect.