We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cronjobs not working unless I manually run cronjobs | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
bob
bob Sep 26 '11
I think I had everything working pertaining to cronjobs with v1.2.3 but updated to v1.2.4 and my email stopped working.  I reinstalled cronjobs as per instructions in the doc's and everything seems Ok but the only way I can get email go go is to manually run the cronjobs using an ssh.  Where did I go wrong?
FaceTester Leader
FaceTester Sep 26 '11
which cronjob command do you use exactly and on which system ?

greets
FaceT
bob
bob Sep 27 '11
* * * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/myusername/www/mysite/ow_cron/run.php
however today it seems to be working.  I sent out some invitations and they went.  I'm going to test mass email and see. 
Thanks for your interest in my problem facetester.  I'll let you know in a post later today if in fact every thing is working ok.
Bob
bob
bob Sep 27 '11
Ok, Mass emails is working great.  About a minute lag before it came in.
Don't know why it wasn't working yesterday but I'm not arguing with success.

bob
bob Sep 30 '11
Well emails stopped working since Sep 28.  It still works If I mannually run cronjobs though. I'm wondering if it is my host???
The Forum post is edited by bob Sep 30 '11
FaceTester Leader
FaceTester Oct 1 '11
- ask your webspace provider if there have restrictions for the PHP-Mailer, many provider do restrictions against Spamscripts and similar reasons.

- look in your LOGfiles, maybe the cronjob noticed any failure since 28.Sept

- how you have edited the cronjob entry, as root or as the user with the UUID for this webspace in a terminal login, or any ISP-Programms like Plesk/confixx/etc. ?
bob
bob Oct 1 '11
Thanks Facetester for responding to my question. 
using SSH in crontabs I issue this command line:
* * * * * /usr/local/bin/php /home/myusername/www/mywebsite/ow_cron/run/php
I get a message installing new cronjobs
I have a support ticket opened with my host but haven't got an answer back yet.
again thanks for your help.
The Forum post is edited by bob Oct 1 '11
FaceTester Leader
FaceTester Oct 2 '11
try add parameter for php-Parser (-f file Parse and execute file)

* * * * * /usr/local/bin/php  -f /home/myusername/www/mywebsite/ow_cron/run/php

and when this do not any function try
0-59 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -f /home/myusername/www/mywebsite/ow_cron/run/php

in any cases the cronjob-deamon use " * " as placeholder not as Time-Parameter.
should maybe stand in the Provider FAQ :-)
The Forum post is edited by FaceTester Oct 2 '11
bob
bob Oct 3 '11
Ok, Facetester, I tried both of your suggestions but they didn't work.  I also looked on FAQ on my control panel for my web host and couldn't find anything.  My host hasn't responded to my questions.  I'm at the end.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my Host.  Either they don't allow cron runs every minute or they have a special way to invoke the runs???
Is there a space between -f and /home?
* * * * * /usr/local/bin/php  -f^ /home/myusername/www/mywebsite/ow_cron/run/php
I tried with a space

The Forum post is edited by bob Oct 3 '11
FaceTester Leader
FaceTester Oct 3 '11
yes there are <spaces> between php-command to -f and to the action command of oxwall.

if it possible to listen what hosting-provider do you use ? (only for looking of FAQ of them)

greets
FaceT

PS: try to activate the cron with more minutes, maybe 5 min or 15 min

bob
bob Oct 3 '11
phpwebhosting.com
Thanks I'll try the more minutes. 
I am getting discusted with my host's support... still haven't heard from them.
bob
bob Oct 3 '11
Ok, thanks for the suggestion of 5 minute intervals.  I tried */5 * * * * and that worked so I tried */1 * * * * and that didn't work but */2 * * * * works.  So I now get emails every 2 minutes... I think I can live with that.
Again Facetester, Thanks for all your help and sticking with me to get this resolved.  Seems that my Host does not allow 1 minute cron jobs???
FaceTester Leader
FaceTester Oct 4 '11
2 minutes are a good time.

in there FAQ dont stand anything exactly of cronjob, and over google find old support entrys from 2004 and 2005.
No Information about 1 minutes restrictions but entrys very old.

greets and happy oxwalling :-)
FaceT
The Forum post is edited by FaceTester Oct 4 '11