We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Messages + IM Chat (Oxwall v1.7) - Mailbox | Forum

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 8 '14
Hey there,

I know you guys just updated this plugin to make it compatible with ow1.7, and think this is pretty slick (joining the messages/im chat plugins together), however, I don't think it is rendering the correct people who are online...

I have a total of 10 users atm online, but when I click on the messages container at the bottom, it only shows those who I have started a conversation with and not all others who are online.

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to talk about here...

In that picture, it says 9 users are online (which is correct since it doesn't count me as the 10th) but nobody is showing up?

Attachments:
  Image2.png (521.33Kb)
Jozef
Jozef Jul 9 '14
Same problem...
Michael
Michael Jul 10 '14
Same problem...
Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 15 '14

Hello messages can not be loaded with version 1.7 

Someone can help me? The site is very slow 

Thanks Jimmy

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 15 '14
Try uninstalling the messages plugin and reinstalling it.
Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 15 '14
it does not work
Ace132
Ace132 Jul 16 '14

I have the same problem, and cpu load goes skyhigh.

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 16 '14
If you can, try getting yourself a VPS.  I had this same issue back when these plugins were seperate (IM chat plugin & the mailbox plugin) - If you are on a shared hosting plan, your site will be slow (sometimes ungodly slow).  Simply upgrade to a VPS as they are quite cheap and you will see a huge performance in site speed.

If that doesn't help, I'm not sure then why this is occurring on your end.  For me, this new plugin works just fine.  Prior to myself upgrading to a VPS, i had to deactivate the IM chat plugin...then when I upgraded I noticed a HUGE improvement to site speed.  And in regards to where I am currently at, upgrading to v1.7 I still really haven't noticed a difference with page speed loading with this new plugin.  So your best bet would be to get yourself a VPS (best alternative anyway as most plans for VPS's cost almost the same as a shared hosting plan).

Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 16 '14
Nothing to do for me I'm already on a dedicated server. I registered on the site oxwall demo does not work either at home

Jimmy

The Forum post is edited by Jimmy Jul 16 '14
Ace132
Ace132 Jul 16 '14
My site is on a dedicated server as well. It has over 13.000 members.
Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 16 '14
Wowzers.  Over 13,000 members...That's impressive ;)

That I guarantee is why your site is slow Ace132.  What plan do you have for your dedicated server.  If there are any options to upgrade, I'd do so since you have that many members.

This plugin coincides with how many members you have, the more you have, the slower it will be because it depends on how many members you have.  Also, depending on other activities going on within your site from these members, (ie: posting, uploading, etc.) and users who refresh a page and/or go to another page on your site, this plugin refreshes itself each time.  So unless you upgrade your hosting plan to suit your needs (ie: increase in members) your site will continue to be slow.

If you are unable to afford upgrading your hosting plan, I would deactivate this plugin, and resort going back to oxwall 1.6 along with any plugins that are compatible with that version...Hopefully you have backups of that version and those plugins.

I hope that helps ;)

Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Jul 29 '14
The reason your messages don't load, and your server load is high, is because this plugin has made EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE ANYONE HAS EVER SENT FROM THE BEGINNING OF TIME INTO AN ACTIVE CONVERSATION. 

It is trying to load 1000's upon 1000's of old messages now that remain in your database. It has turned every message from the beginning of your site into an inbox conversation, and it's now trying to load them all. If you have a very strong dedicated server, if you wait (go have breakfast, take the dog for a walk,) eventually the messages will load if it doesn't suck all your server's memory dry first.

The only fix that I have discovered is to go into your database and delete all the messages. I left the most previous 1000 or 2000 messages sitewide, but after deleting 20,000 or 30,000 messages from the database, my site now works fine, and the messages plugin works fine. 

I hope they fix this "messages" plugin. Because currently, it is just a "mess". 

Chris Abram
Chris Abram Jul 31 '14
I hate that you can no longer have read, unread, and sent email anymore. This new version sucks. You also have to load each email one at a time to delete them, wont let you bulk delete. Please change this back to the way it was.
Joseph
Joseph Aug 7 '14
the old version still works with oxwall 1.7 I just reverted to using the old one
Hadi Kamell
Hadi Kamell Aug 11 '14
some users of my site have fake unread messages in their mailbox.

Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Aug 14 '14
Guys, our developers are handling the issue. The plugin will be updated asap, so that you can deal with the massive amount of conversation in your mailbox and decrease CPU usage. Please be patient. We do our best.

Hadi, can you please provide a screenshot of those fake unread messages? as I don't quite understand you.
Joseph
Joseph Aug 15 '14
the plugin should only call up a few messages at a time instead of trying to call up every single message at one time. How did you guys completely overlook this in development after you have done this with this plugin on the past (having crazy high cpu usage) why don't you guys start doing more in depth beta testing and allowing us site owners to help join a beta site instead of saying we cant join because we arent developers ourselves 
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Aug 15 '14
Now I know its not me alone
Hadi Kamell
Hadi Kamell Aug 16 '14

Quote from Oxwall Software Guys, our developers are handling the issue. The plugin will be updated asap, so that you can deal with the massive amount of conversation in your mailbox and decrease CPU usage. Please be patient. We do our best.

Hadi, can you please provide a screenshot of those fake unread messages? as I don't quite understand you.
i was checked the database and  i found that some conversions in ow_mailbox_conversation table are unread... and users can not check them as read , because these conversions may be from a long time ago...
this is one important issue by messages plugin that i have.
Rob
Rob Mar 8 '15

Quote from Hadi Kamell
Quote from Oxwall Software Guys, our developers are handling the issue. The plugin will be updated asap, so that you can deal with the massive amount of conversation in your mailbox and decrease CPU usage. Please be patient. We do our best.

i was checked the database and  i found that some conversions in ow_mailbox_conversation table are unread... and users can not check them as read , because these conversions may be from a long time ago...
this is one important issue by messages plugin that i have.

I have this issue as well. I show as having 3 unread messages and I can't read them. Even if I manually read every message or try to bulk delete them all.
Pages: 1 2 »
You do not have permission to reply this topic