We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

1.7 Messages Error | Forum

Sean
Sean Jul 17 '14
Made no difference to me.
Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 18 '14
Hello plugin works with the new version thank you for the work against not send attachments (404) 

The requested URL /ow_userfiles/plugins/mailbox83/attachments/attachment_1_53c6a89664a76_10402701_257899444399958_5480098633640264955_n.jpg was not found on this server.

Thanks Jimmy

ross Team
ross Jul 18 '14
Jimmy, please make sure ow_userfiles folder has permissions 777 set recursively. 
Sean
Sean Jul 18 '14
Still not working for me, is there anyway I can use the 1.6 version of the plugin with the 1.7 platform?
ross Team
ross Jul 18 '14
What exactly is not working?
Sean
Sean Jul 18 '14
The messages do not load, I just get the spinning icon.

Also all the ping requests fail that the mailbox uses for checking for new messages, and I am still getting the memory error message in my error log, despite upping it to 128mb.

Sean
Sean Jul 18 '14
See my opening post, it's still exactly the same despite upgrading to the lastest version
Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 18 '14
@Sean Do not get in private mode on the internet (Safari) otherwise the messages will not load
Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 18 '14
@Ross Thank you I'll try and say

Thanks 

Jimmy

Sean
Sean Jul 18 '14
Jimmy, it happens on any browser from all the machines I've tried.
Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 18 '14
@ Ross I tried to do everything 777 and it still does not work attachments. when I want to open this is what it says
Jimmy
Jimmy Jul 18 '14
@Sean tries to reinstall the plugin it worked after me with the update
Martin Philipps
Martin Philipps Jul 18 '14
i am not yet updating to oxwall 1.7 until the problem with messages/chat is redolved, any news?
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Jul 19 '14

Quote from ross Guys, mailbox plugin has been updated, please update it. The notification should appear in your admin panel within next 24 hours. 
If you have ever mass-messaged your members, now all those sends are going to show up as conversations in your inbox. 

In my case, I have mass messaged 1500 members 3 or 4 times. Now, with the new messages plugin, I have THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of conversations in my inbox. Now, do you know how long it takes to load the inbox? minutes, upon minutes. My inbox is so bogged down, it's useless. Utterly useless. 

So imagine how PISSED OFF all my members are now that THEIR inboxes are loaded up with every message they have ever sent. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 

DO AN EMERGENCY UPDATE OF THIS PLUGIN TO ADD A BULK DELETE OR PURGE INBOX FEATURE!!!!!

ASAP!!!

THE INBOXES ARE NOW SO BOGGED DOWN, THEY ARE SO DAMN SLOW, THEY ARE NEARLY USELESS, NOT TO MENTION IT'S SLOWING DOWN THE SITE SIGNIFICANTLY!!!!

Way to go Oxwall! Good one!

Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Jul 19 '14

Quote from Sean The messages do not load, I just get the spinning icon.

Also all the ping requests fail that the mailbox uses for checking for new messages, and I am still getting the memory error message in my error log, despite upping it to 128mb.

This is because your inbox is now so bogged down with every single message you have ever sent which was not replied to by the receiver. 

Before this update, if you sent a message, only the member  you sent it to gets it in their inbox. But now, every message you have ever sent, unless it was replied to and deleted previously, now shows up as a conversation in your inbox. You are getting memory errors and such, and the loader icon is spinning because it's trying to gather possibly thousands of conversations. 

What a major bumble!!!! And Oxwall doesn't even know it. They are running around trying to figure out why everyone is having problems with this plugin.

THAT is the reason. 

I have a super powered server, so all I have to do is sit there and wait, and wait, and wait, and eventually, messages show up. Now I have to delete ONE BY ONE because there is not bulk delete or mailbox purge. 

Oxwall, simply make it possible for people to bulk delete or purge their entire mailbox. 

Do this test. Create a new test account, it will have no messages in it. Have some people send you a private message, or send others a few private messages so that you have a few conversations started in your inbox. 

Watch how wonderfully it works, loads, and performs. Works perfectly if THERE'S NOT HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS OF CONVERSATIONS IN IT to load up.

You're having trouble, because this plugin has brought every message you have ever written in the past into your mailbox now as a conversation, regardless if anyone replied or not. Your mailbox is overloaded now. Too full for it to load, unless you have dedicated server with strong resources.  

The Forum post is edited by Jobee Bendijo Jul 19 '14
Sean
Sean Jul 19 '14
I've sent over 5 thousand messages using the mass mail function, that'll be why then! 
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Jul 19 '14
The reason why this plugin is putting so much load on, is because your database saves messages as sent, but the previous plugin never called or loaded your "sent" messages. But with this new version of messages, it is now calling and loading (or trying to load) every message you ever sent since the beginning of time, since it now puts them into your mailbox as conversations. 

Lucky for me, I have a very strong dedicated server, and after a minute or two, my inbox loads. And what I see is all the messages I ever sent since the creation of my account. When I log into a normal user test account which only has a few conversations, messages plugin works beautifully, quickly, and no problem.

But when I go back to my admin account, after the inbox loads after a few minutes of waiting, I can see all the unreplied messages I have ever sent for the past two years. Thousands! And I can only delete one at a time, and after deleting one, it takes another minute or two to load the next. This will take months, years to delete all those messages. 

Previously, if you message someone, your message only shows up in the receiver's mailbox. If they reply, then the conversation shows up in yours. You can carry on the conversation, or delete it. 

But imagine all the messages you ever sent, which were never replied, now being called by this new version of the plugin. I have mass-messaged my members many times. I have 1500+ members. Now that this new version of messages calls all sent messages into the inbox, it's now trying to load 5000, 8000, maybe 10,000 messages. 

This is what is causing such heavy load, and crashing your browser, and/or taking so loooooooooooooooooong to load. 

I hired Skalfa to perform my update to 1.7. These folks are professionals. They agree this is the problem. Why is Oxwall not acknowledging this and doing something about it? 

Ross, I have the July 17 update, and it's still doing the same thing. Can it be updated again so that people can purge or bulk delete? 

What's being done about this? It's screwing up people's sites. 

The Forum post is edited by Jobee Bendijo Jul 19 '14
Sean
Sean Jul 19 '14
I don't think they're back in until Monday.

They need to edit the plugin so it only loads a few conversations at a time, like only the ones visible on the left hand column, and then load the others on scroll with an ajax request or something.

That way it only loads the ones you're looking at, not the whole lot all at once.

ross Team
ross Jul 21 '14
Yes, we are aware of this issue with the conversations, we are dealing with the issue. I'll get back to you asap. 
ross Team
ross Jul 21 '14
Yes, we are aware of this issue with the conversations, we are dealing with the issue right now. I'll get back to you asap. 
Pages: « 1 2