We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Stay logged in when using different devices | Forum

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 11 '14
Is there a way to stay logged in regardless of what device you are using?

For example, if I'm logged in via my browser (Chrome) - and login on my mobile device, we can only be logged in via 1 of those 2.  Wouldn't it make more sense to stay logged in on both especially now with this new messages plugin?  That way if I stay logged in via desktop and start a conversation, then carry the conversation over via my mobile device (which also would be logged in) I can do so rather than having to login every single time?  I think it would make things so much easier.

ross Team
ross Jul 11 '14
Do you mean you can't login to desktop and mobile with the same details at the same time?
Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 11 '14
you can, but it logs you out of 1.

So for example, I'm logged in on my desktop browser using chrome.  Then I go to login on my mobile device - I stay logged in on both but close my browser on my desktop since I'm now logged in on my phone, but when I return to my desktop and go to my website again (even though I should be logged in) I'm logged out...Same applies the other way around.

ross Team
ross Jul 11 '14
How long are you absent from desktop or mobile browser? If it is 30 minutes then you're automatically logged out, this is how sessions work
The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 11 '14
Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 11 '14
I understand that, but if that's the case, it should log me out of my desktop view after 30 minutes of having the browser closed without being logged into anything else but it doesn't...

Very odd.

Is there a way to change this somewhere in the code to allow users to stay logged in on different devices (at the same time)?

ross Team
ross Jul 11 '14
Well, that means your cron jobs are not properly configured. 

as to the staying logged in please check here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/12138?page=1#post-61264

Emil
Emil Jun 1 '15
I have the same issue. Once I log in from another device the previous session is lost. Example: I'm on my laptop and logged in. I decide to move to my tablet and log in from there once I go back to the laptop I have to log in again. This is very annoying. Why can't be logged in from different devices? It's not the cron. It's oxwall.
ross Team
ross Jun 2 '15
Emil what version do you use on your tablet? mobile or desktop?
Emil
Emil Jun 6 '15
1.7.4 thanks.
It is a weird issue. Maybe it is cookie based?

It even appears if I use an Apple Webclip on iPhone. If I log in from the webclip app and then click a link it opens Safari and the session is lost. I have to log in again in Safari.
The Forum post is edited by Emil Jun 6 '15
ross Team
ross Jun 7 '15

Quote from ross Emil what version do you use on your tablet? mobile or desktop?

Jean DeJean
Jean DeJean Nov 27 '16
To me this problem is related to https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/38467.

I proposed the following idea to gather votes:
https://oxwall.uservoice.com/...ltiple-devices-login
The Forum post is edited by Jean DeJean Nov 27 '16