We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Character Limit | Forum

Abbey
Abbey Jul 12 '14
The character limit for forums and blogs is 50,000, is there a way to raise this?
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14
You can abbs but I don't no how you do it ,I saw a post about this ages ago,try searching in forum sweet
Pete
Pete Jul 12 '14

$description = new Textarea('description');

$description->setRequired(true);

$sValidator = new StringValidator(1, 50000);

$sValidator->setErrorMessage($language->text('forum', 'chars_limit_exceeded', array('limit' => 50000)));

$description->addValidator($sValidator);

I think its the above you edit for forum which you can find in if you ftp to ow_plugins/forum /controllers/customize.php

just be careful abbs I could be wrong

The Forum post is edited by Pete Jul 12 '14
John
John Jul 12 '14
Hi Abbey, I just did a quick calculation and 50,000 characters is equivalent to ten (10)  A4 or twelve (12) (approx) American Letter pages of text. For a forum post I'm sure most readers would consider that far too much. It may be okay for Blogs, but what do you do? Go to a lot of trouble to give a few people an extra page or two, or encourage them to write less? I would consider a forum post of three or four paragraphs is sufficient. After that, they can always attach a PDF or other document. The same goes for Blogs.

Just a thought.
Abbey
Abbey Jul 14 '14
Yeah, I don't know why my users are complaining.
Apparently the blogs has the same limit
ross Team
ross Jul 14 '14
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Alia Team
Alia Jul 23 '14
http://www.oxwall.org/...um/topic/7813?page=1;

Solution was given for previous version  of Oxwall, but might work with 1.7 and 1.6 as well. Needs to be tested.