We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email notifications | Forum

Michael Leader
Michael Aug 7 '10
When a new user is registering the validation email comes through almost instantly.

However, the email notification when there is activity seems to not be working.
I have set the notification to immediately but don't seem to get any messages.

This is the same if SMTP is configured or not.
SMTP test came back successful! (But when using my own SMTP Verification emails aren't sent)

I only seem to get verification emails with SMTP not enabled.

I dont get ANY notification emails, even with immediate ticked.

Any help?
Emil Team
Emil Aug 9 '10
Looks like your cron is not activated. Add a cron job that runs ow_cron/run.php once a minute. We are updating online installation instructions.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 9 '10
Ty for that. I will try that later and get back to you.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 9 '10
I added the cron job
First asked the support guys for the file path... They gave me the url...
so http://siteurl.com/ow_cron/run.php not surprisingly came back "Not Found"

So after a little digging, I found my host path,
/home/accountname/public_html/ow_cron/run.php but now the error I get is "Permisison Denied"

Is this a host issue or something within the job??? (or is my file location a bit wrong?)

If it is a host issue, can you help me word the question right to get them to understand what I need done!
I fear they haven't a clue to be honest!!!
(Second time I needed their support and the second time they gave me bum information)
The Forum post is edited by Michael Aug 9 '10
Emil Team
Emil Aug 10 '10
Your file path seems to be right. It probably has something to do with your permissions to add cron jobs. Just ask them to assist you to add /home/accountname/public_html/ow_cron/run.php to cron. It should run every minute.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 10 '10
Good news! All is working now!
However the host only allows cron jobs to be run once every 15 mins... I can live with that!

/usr/bin/php -q /home/accountname/public_html/ow_cron/run.php
I missed the usr/bin/php -q bit!

I am assuming */15 * * * * * Is sufficient (Google is wonderful)
I now have 100s of emails ! LOL
Emil Team
Emil Aug 10 '10
I must warn you, once every 15 minutes can be slow for a busy site. But then you won't sit on a shared hosting account probably.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 10 '10
I am limited by their policy. I will try and load this on my win www server. See how it fairs! As long as the notifications are going out I'm happy.
Reddemon
Reddemon Aug 10 '10
is there a way to manually run a cron job?
Den Team
Den Aug 10 '10
Quote from Reddemon

is there a way to manually run a cron job?

Sorry, but it's impossible.
Adalto
Adalto May 2 '11
Hi,

I want to use this too but. I use the wall.fm server it's possible?
Michael Leader
Michael May 3 '11
It should be there OK but you should direct wall.fm questions in wall.fm support to be honest!
Jay Brosnan
Jay Brosnan Jan 16 '12
Quote from Michael Good news! All is working now!
However the host only allows cron jobs to be run once every 15 mins... I can live with that!

/usr/bin/php -q /home/accountname/public_html/ow_cron/run.php
I missed the usr/bin/php -q bit!

I am assuming */15 * * * * * Is sufficient (Google is wonderful)
I now have 100s of emails ! LOL

Thank you, thank you, thank you
After so many attempts i finally fixit 
I now have 100s of emails ! LOL :)))
You are doing a greate job out here guys 
Keep up the good work
Jay Brosnan
Jay Brosnan Jan 16 '12
Hello guys 
Is there any way to do this setup so i will not get suspended 
By the time I get more members I would like to send mass emails once a week with news but look what my actual host said 

Hello Jay,

Your accoun thas been unsuspended. Please note that mass mail is strictly prohibited by our Terms Of Service:

You can send no more than 19 emails per minute (using PHP) and 9 emails/minute (using SMTP). Additionally, You are allowed to send up to 100 emails/hour from Your webmail account. 

We are sorry for any inconveniences, but this is how the system works. We cannot remove this mass mail limitation as it would result in our mail server IP being blacklisted very fast. The server hosts hundreds of domains, and it is not possible to track everyone in real time so we must run this software to disable mass mailers.

Do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions.

Kind Regards,
Alex F.
Help Desk Staff

Posted by Jay Brosnan, on January 16, 2012, 01:27:36

Hello
Thank you for your genuine reply
I AM SO SORRY FOR TROUBLE CAUSED, THIS IS SOMTHING NEW TO ME AND I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING 

So that means I cannot use my Admin Oxwall Mass Email sistem??? i whas hoping to use that for news release for my members once i get more members etc :(

I mean to send mass mailind to my members from my site sistem not to receive mass emails as i did 

Please let me know asap

Thank you

Jay

Posted by Staff Member, on January 16, 2012, 01:37:35

Hello Jay,

Basically, you can send out mass mailing, all you have to do is configure your script to do it more slowly. Set an email per hour limit and make sure you send out under 100 emails per hour and under 20 emails per minute. This way you can still send the emails and will not get suspended.

Contact us for a consultation or with any additional questions you may have.

Thank You,
Alex F.
Help Desk Staff

The Forum post is edited by Jay Brosnan Jan 16 '12
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 16 '12
Well, maybe you should find a hosting that doesn't have such limits? Or would you like to reduce the number of emails sent at the time?
Jay Brosnan
Jay Brosnan Jan 16 '12
Thank you for reply
In the end the mass email is not so important because I can add any site related news on the wall or on the top of the site to be seen on every page of the  site.

But for future can you please recomand any good hosting provider who dont apply this limits , by pm ofcource.

Also in the future if I want to transfer the site to another Hosting Provider it will do any harm to my site or is not somthing complicated for someone like you guys who know what they are doing?

Thank you in advance.

Ps: Apologise for my english, i dont use google translate at all times when I reply but I hope I make my self quite clear of what i say:)

At the moment I would like to reduce the number of emails sent at a time but how i do that???

For example lets say 19 people will send an email in the same time they will suspend me again, This is bad :(
The Forum post is edited by Jay Brosnan Jan 16 '12
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 20 '12
Jay, your English is near perfect, nothing to apologize for ;)

Here you can see hosting companies recommended for Oxwall: 
http://www.oxwall.org/hosting And if you transfer your site properly (which is not complicated at all), there won't be any problems with your site for sure.

As for limiting number of emails to be sent - I think that would require a custom code modification, but probably someone have a better solution.
Jay Brosnan
Jay Brosnan Jan 20 '12
Hello,
Thank you for your genuine reply.Then I will continue with my actual hosting provider and when will be necesary I will simply transfer the whole site to a better hosting provider.Thank you for support.
Jay
Controversy
Controversy Jan 29 '12
Can someone help me do the Cron jobs? I'm not a developer and I need help. I can't receive any email notifications and my site seems to be moving a little slow. 
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 1 '12
You can check the following manual: http://docs.oxwall.org/install:cron for Cron set up. You can ask someone to assist you, probably you have some friends skilled in Cron.
Pages: 1 2 »