We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Bug in Oxwall 1.7 Photo plugin | Forum

Omari
Omari Aug 1 '14
Also the save as avatar feature does not work with Amazons3
Vitaliy
Vitaliy Aug 1 '14
I have been fighting a photo problem with the most recent build. 1.7.0 Build 7906.

I upgraded the core, then plugins, then themes. Nav buttons stopped working. Deactivated all plugins, everything went back to normal.

The problem seems to originate from the Photos plugin. As soon as it is activated, the buttons stop working on both logged in user nav or admin nav bar.

I tried uninstalling it, it has been in the process for over 12 hours now. Still nothing.

I am now assuming based on what I've seen, this may be an issue connected to the DB with duplicate data entry after update of 1.6 to 1.7.

Any suggestions? It would be difficult to run a social network w/o photo capabilities.

Please advise.

Alia Team
Alia Aug 4 '14
Vitaliy, are you trying to use the latest build of "Photo" plugin?
Have tested on my own installation and so far was not able to reproduce those issues. 

Try deleting the plugin completely and installing it again.

1. Uninstall plugin.
2. Go to "Available plugins" section and delete "Photo" plugin from there.
3. Download new plugin from "Store"
4. Install it.

Let me know the results.

Omari
Omari Aug 4 '14
Additional Bugs - After testing on Oxwall's Demo site and my site:

Trying to upload larger picture files (4 to 10 mb) you get a "timeout error". 

I also notice if you select a larger amount of smaller files (15 and more) ranged 100k to 1mb) you also get a timeout error.

Some suggestions: 

Please try a better method of client side compression before upload ....e.g. integrating the html5 canvas method. Or do what Facebook does to compress these larger user files on the fly. (Users are not going to compress their photos then return to upload them)

Also remember on mobile camera pictures range from 2.8 to 6mb on mobile phones. As oxwall is not a native phone application you need a way to have this compression on the fly. Otherwise uploading photos on mobile jsut doesnt make sense... (talking about a samsung galaxy s5

A progress indicator is also necessary on mobile for adding photos. Users will be confused as to if the photo is uploading relying just on the progress indicator of the webpage.

This plugin does not handle uploading multiple files greater than 2mb. 

The new version of Photo plugin is a highlight for the new update and the future of oxwall please make it a priority as it is the centerpiece of any social network

ben
ben Aug 4 '14
since 1.6 photo plugins compress uploaded file,

but yes i agree it need more optimization, facebook will compress all uploaded photo to less than 100kb. In oxwall photo will resize to max. 700kb after compress and oxwall store the file in 4 different name so you will have 700kbx4=2.8mb every photo upload.

if you have 1000 member uploading 2 mb photo, you will need 2.8mbx1000=2.8gb diskspace
if you have 1000 member uploading 4 photo 2mb each, you will need 2.8mbx4x1000=11.2 gb diskspace

In blog and forum oxwall will not compress all big photo size,
The Forum post is edited by ben Aug 4 '14
Omari
Omari Aug 4 '14
im talking about compression to facilitate uploading. not after its been uploaded. e.g. try to upload 5 5mb photos and tell me what happens
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Aug 9 '14
the feature that allows you to move a photo from one album to another does not work.

Not a whole lot DOES work with 1.7 it seems. This is extremely disappointing.

Omari
Omari Aug 9 '14
no jobee it does work. 

I'm pretty impressed by Oxwall 1.7.....what's the error your getting can u send me a screenshot and did u uninstall and reinstall the plugin?

junior
junior Aug 9 '14
I am having the same problem with the photo plugin, if I click the button it pops up and has a line and just stalls out
ross Team
ross Aug 11 '14
Jobee, we cannot reproduce the issue you're talking about, please read this post and follow the steps: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/5092

Junior the same applies to you, please read this post: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/5092

Omari, please do not duplicate your posts. http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/22808

The Forum post is edited by ross Aug 11 '14
O_o
O_o Nov 9 '14
I have an Amazon S3 account ,not sure where exactly to install the script,it calls for the end ,after dev mode or before?

Is this bug or error a serious problem?

The Forum post is edited by O_o Nov 9 '14
ross Team
ross Nov 9 '14
Read this tutorial: http://docs.oxwall.org/install:cloud_hosting:amazons3 there are detailed instructions in there. 

Pages: « 1 2