We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Users Locked Out [Solved] | Forum

Alun Owen
Alun Owen Jul 24 '14
We've had an Oxwall site running for a short while but recently we've been experiencing an issue where users become locked out of the site and received a couldn't connect to site error.  We've established that this is based on the IP address and always occurs after making a post. Tried various things but not been able to find a solution.

If the IP address changes or is reset then you get access but generally get locked out again after making 1 or 2 new posts, again always after making the post.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem or had a fix for this I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks

Alun

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 24 '14
ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
Is this the exact error they get: couldn't connect to site error ? I recommend you to contact your hosting provider, probably they're blocking some IP for some reason. 
Alun Owen
Alun Owen Jul 24 '14
Yes, that's the error.

That was our initial thought as well! 

We've been through it really thoroughly with the hosting provider and they assure us that there are no blocks on the account and they're not preventing any access to the site or blacklisting any IPs.  

ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
please approve my account http://www.sfmuk.org/user/ross , by the way, you said it always occurs after making a post - forum post? 
Alun Owen
Alun Owen Jul 24 '14
Done!
ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
Do you have any plugin in any way related to the users IP?
Alun Owen
Alun Owen Jul 24 '14
And yes, forum posts seem to be the trigger that we've identified.  May be others but that's what we've got to.  
ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
How long does it usually take before users get this disconnection error?
Alun Owen
Alun Owen Jul 24 '14
Not sure.  Running the following plugins:

Newsfeed

Mailbox

Friends

Activity notifications

Image Slideshow

Blogs

Groups

Links

Photo

Video

Forum

Events

Birthdays

Instant Chat

Google Analytics

Alun Owen
Alun Owen Jul 24 '14
Disconnect is variable I'm afraid.  Last time I was locked out after 2.  Some people seem to avoid it.
ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
Well, I've been online for 15 minutes, made 3 forum posts at intervals of 5 minutes. I'm still there. I will stay online for 30 minutes more, if I am not disconnected, I will have to mark this post as Solved. 
Alun Owen
Alun Owen Jul 24 '14
You should be able to see the running thread there about the problems users are having.  Realise it is difficult to pull together the reasons and how they interact to cause the issue.

If we switch providers is there a UK based service which supports Oxwall?

ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
I can only suggest your these: http://www.oxwall.org/hosting
ross Team
ross Jul 24 '14
Sorry Alun, can't reproduce the issue. If you come up with step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the issue, feel free to contact us. I'm going to mark this post as Solved for now
The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 24 '14