We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

user permissions not working! | Forum

Joseph
Joseph Jul 28 '14
1.7 has screwed up user permissions now my normal users can create model pages which is suppose to be limited to our models staff only! I am sorry oxwall you just lost our support there is only so much one person can take and I have had enough
ross Team
ross Jul 29 '14
what is model pages, can you please elaborate the issue?
Joseph
Joseph Jul 30 '14
model pages are groups I just changed the name in language and thsi is only one example of several issues with user permissions
ross Team
ross Jul 30 '14
Do you mean that the permissions has been set to allow usual users to create groups? Are you sure that none of your group staff or anyone who has permissions did that? 

Can you provide us with the steps how we can reproduce the issues?

Joseph
Joseph Jul 30 '14
no I am saying the permission is set to not allow it and yet they can still add them 
Joseph
Joseph Jul 30 '14
and my staff are all people I have known a long time and wouldn't make that change considering this is how our site makes money
ross Team
ross Jul 30 '14
I believe all plugins are up-to-date. Joseph, can you pm me your admin details for that domain? Because we cannot reproduce that on our test websites or demo.oxwall.org. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 30 '14
Joseph
Joseph Jul 30 '14
its not just 1 domain it happens on all oxwall sites you set the user permissions to not allow basic members to create groups and then go in as a basic user and look and the create new widget has it listed and upon clicking add new it works just fine you end up with a group created regardless of user permissions
ross Team
ross Jul 30 '14
Joseph, can you provide access details for one of those websites? we'd like to take a look at your problem, please. 
Joseph
Joseph Jul 31 '14
one of the sites is musernation.com (this is wickednation.net in case you wonder about the oxwall link not being there we just changed names recently but you can enter the wickednation.net to be assured its the same site) and on that site groups are called chats and you will find basic users can create groups (chats) yet the permisiions are set to not allow that
Alia Team
Alia Aug 6 '14
Joseph, I think that all your issues might be connected to "User Credits" plugin. Please check Skalfa's reply about User Roles and User credits here http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/20851?page=1#post-102282)
Alia Team
Alia Aug 6 '14
>>will find basic users can create groups (chats) yet the permisiions are set to not allow that

Make sure that this action is disabled in "User Credits" plugin.

------
Skalfa LLC
In both situations if you would like to prioritize user role's influence, just click on "disable" button located next to each action of the "User Credits" plugin. In this case system will ignore settings of the "User Credits" plugin and will follow only the logic of  user roles feature.

------

Let me know if this doesn't help.
Joseph
Joseph Aug 6 '14
so if we want to limit this to user roles then we cant charge credits for the action either? What a rip off and I know Hot list is having issues because it uses both user roles and credits wow leave it to some developers to mess up a good thing it seems people have a habit here of trying to fix things that are not broken!
Alia Team
Alia Aug 8 '14
Joseph, not really.

Let's say, before the update you have set your site so that
- users roles allow adding photos and you charge 5 credits for this.

You had to allow this in user roles, because otherwise users would be getting "limited permissions" notice when trying to add a photo.

Now, to charge users for adding  photos you will just need to:
- set user roles NOT to allow adding photos
- set User credits to "-5" for photo upload.

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 8 '14
aliia so to get credits to work on anything in permissions needs to be set as not allow ??
Alia Team
Alia Aug 8 '14
Tammy, yes. Let me know if you'll find that this is not working for particular content. I did check this for photos and groups for sure.
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 8 '14
yes thanks is working now for the few things i have - credits on but invite friends works a bit stupid if a users has 1 credit and set invite friends to -1 credit that user can invite 200 users or as many as they can before someone accepts the friend request then it take the one credit from them also problem users permissions something set to everyone can view on main site works on mobile does not so 3rd part plugin so may be plugin related and i have noticed since you updated line breaks and paragraph not work here