We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is it safe to delete old updates? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Hybrid
Hybrid Aug 7 '14

This is somewhat of a 2 part question.

Part 1:

I was curious, is it safe to delete old updates that are in the main "ow_updates » updates" folder, the "ow_themes » updates" folders and as well as any of the "ow_plugins » updates" folders?

I'm trying to reduce the amount of files on hand on my server and was thinking that if there are any "old" updates I can get rid of, that would clear up and/or save me some space.  I'm just now sure if be deleting them, it would cause any issues.

Part 2:

Before installing Oxwall on another website of mine, can I delete all the main "ow_updates" folders and be okay?  Or do I need at least the latest update "7906" to stay?  Or do I need all those previous updates for it to work before installing?

Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 7 '14
Hybrid82, if your site platform and all plugins are up to date, you can remove the ow_updates folders. But removing of these folders won't significantly change the situation. If you want to reduce the number of folders and files, I suggest that you remove the /ow_pluginfiles/base/wurfl folder and check the /ow_static/ folder for the old/junk folders of plugins.
Hybrid
Hybrid Aug 7 '14

Thank you Daisy for your quick response.  I do have a few extra questions though.

What is the wurfl folder?  And what is the purpose of it?  If we can delete that, why include it in the overall package?

Also, would I be okay if I deleted all updates in the "ow_updates" folder in regards to "before installing 1.7" at my new website?  Or will that mess things up - currently the latest update folder is 7906 in the "updates" folder which is in the "ow_updates" folder, all other update folders are less (ie: 7157, 6746, etc...)

Since the latest version 1.7 is functional and working with the build 7906, wouldn't it be okay to delete all other update folders less than 7906 before even attempting to install the entire package on my new website?  Or does the 1.7 version along with the build 7906 run off of those previous builds (ie: 7157, 6746, etc...)?

Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 7 '14

The wurfl folder was used in Oxwall 1.6.0. for the mobile version. Since the update process does not remove any files and folders from ow_pluginfiles/ and ow_static/ files, this folder left as is in this folder.

As for the other two questions - the updates folders are used only in case you need to update plugin. If you check an update folder, you will see that there are only several files: 

- the langs.zip which contains the new language values and keys 

- the update.php file which contains the queries to update the database entries.

Hereunder, if your plugins are up to date, you can remove these folders.

Hybrid
Hybrid Aug 7 '14
Thank you!

You have answered my questions in regards to the ow_plugins "updates", but what about the main core "ow_updates" ?  Would I be able to delete all of those updates, including the 7906 folder?

Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 7 '14
Yes, you can remove this folder too. :)
Hybrid
Hybrid Aug 7 '14
Mucho gracious!