We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

user rolls | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 8 '14
i have set up a second roll and added profile questions for that roll

on join page can select roll on join up ( i have to remove this )

but a regular user can not get to anywhere to change rolls 

as admin go to a user profile and click moderate and change roll 
that user can not see the roll in profile edit 
admin users can set the new roll
ross Team
ross Aug 11 '14
Tammy I don't understand your request, please elaborate. 
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 11 '14
in admin/users/roles i have the default roll named free second roll called silver and have set up permissions for both rolls in admin/permissions/roles in admin/questions/account-types i have set up extra question for silver roll on sign up page theirs select roll ( i dont need this i will remove it ) a free roll member can not see the change rolls dropdown select box in profile edit how does a user get from being a free roll to silver roll
ross Team
ross Aug 11 '14
This is how it works currently, only admin can manage user roles
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 11 '14
Yes but as administrator you make a normal user to the next roll they can not see the profile question for the roll If I make a normal user a silver roll they can not see silver roll question With out this it makes half the ad in panel useless
ross Team
ross Aug 12 '14
You need to obtain paid membership plugin in this case, otherwise it is not possible only admin can change user role
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 12 '14
yes i have payed membership but it only works with real money 

think of it now i did see a plugin something about pay with credits 
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 12 '14
and yes admin can change a users roll but on change a users roll they can not see the questions for that roll

let say you joined my site as free member an me as admin made you a silver member 

now other then the label on you profile pic theres nothing you can do you can not see the questions for silver roll you can do nothing so makes half the admin panel useless
ross Team
ross Aug 12 '14
You confused me Tammy user roles and account types profile questions does not influence on each other

No matter which role you're now, you'll see the same profile questions in your profile according to the account type you chose while registration. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 12 '14
well thats a bit stupid 
so if a free meber want to be a silver member they ether have to pay or delete there profile and make a new one 

ross Team
ross Aug 12 '14
How come? 

For example you have two account types and three user roles

account types - male/female

user roles - male/female/vip

If a male wants to get VIP user role, does that mean he should have different questions in his profile - no, the questions will be the same, but he will have more or other options according to the user role. 

I don't understand your confusion if a free members wants to be silver member, you, as an admin are free to change it, or use membership plugin,  however I don't understand what does it have to do with the profile questions. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 12 '14
ok say in accounts have 2 account nice and naughty 

nice questions for nice account 
extra naughty questions for naughty account 

now if a user sings up as nice  and after some time want to be naughty they have to ether pay or delete there profile and make a new one 

rolls should be hooked to accounts 
with out it makes both useless 

there no use for a user to update ie pay money or credits if they dont get extra in questions as it is now only get permission to view or do stuff by roll permissions 

ross Team
ross Aug 12 '14
Tammy it is very individual and applies only to your niche or target audience or your vision of a social website

In this case you will need to change the account type as an admin as well. Go to members profile, click on edit his/her details and choose account type from the drop-down menu

In the meantime this is a complicated custom code modification

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 12 '14
I ask paru about his plug in 

If you have like you said a mail and female a counts what's the use of gender question

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Aug 12 '14
ross Team
ross Aug 12 '14
No, do not confuse it with gender, this is just a profile question, when male and female can also be set "nominally" as account types as well. It is just an example, you can name your account types any way you like . 
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 13 '14
you answered my example
Tammy it is very individual and applies only to your niche or target audience or your vision of a social website
and i answered yours
with what should of been but stupid spell check on my phone
If you have like you said a male and female accounts what's the use of gender question

the way it works now the only thing its good for is male female accounts 
but since theres a gender question  accounts just dont make any sense 

ross Team
ross Aug 13 '14
Yes, but what if your website does not care about gender, admin may remove this profile question at all or leave one value, like gamer, or investor.

However there may be several kinds of investors/gamers, depends on the type of video games, this is  where you take advantage of account types. 

Anyway, this is how it currently works , to change this is considered as a custom code modification.