We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Newfeed link preview | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Vasilis
Vasilis Aug 23 '14
Hi all,

Anyone knows where the code is located for the preview of the links posted on a newsfeed? I am not getting the image, title and description I would expect from the links and I would like to alter the code to make sure it uses redirects and that it grabs the info from og: meta tags.

Thanks!

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 23 '14
this is a big problem i have been fight with developers on there plugin to make it work and also on of the teem said they will ad fix the newsfeed links up to the roadmap  
so could be 6 months or a year untill is fixed 
Vasilis
Vasilis Aug 23 '14
I am happy to fix it myself. The only problem is that I am having difficulties finding the particular piece of code that grabs the information from the link page. Any ideas?
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 23 '14
sorry i have never even looked in the newsfeed plugin before 
ross Team
ross Aug 25 '14
Vasilis what is the exact link you try to insert into the newsfeed?
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 25 '14
any site links posted in newsfeed 

oxwall dev team know about the problem of it grabbing wrong images 
and was to be added to the roadmap but i still can not see it in there 

attachment plugin fixes the problem but as i have ssl i dont want embed videos in my newsfeed 

answer from Sergey Kambalin

It is not the plugin's bug. It is bug of link content grabbing system. It should not take an image that's less than minimum size. 

I fixed the issue in my Attachments plugin. 

I will add this issue to Oxwall Core road map. It will be fixed in the future Oxwall Core updates.

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 25 '14
i have seen problems posted 12 months ago marked as It will be fixed in an upcoming build
and not been addressed as of yet .
ross Team
ross Aug 25 '14
I'm sorry where are you trying to post the link?

Is this what you're referring to:

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 25 '14
Yes posting a site link in newsfeed or chat grabs icons and even powered by oxwall images Post a profile link next if u have profile cover plug in posts broken images Off site links seam to work fine
The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Aug 25 '14
ross Team
ross Aug 26 '14
Vasilis says that he cannot see image description and title when he inserts the link which is why I asked to provide the link he tries
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 26 '14
the problem is the images it grabs i am use advanced seo so it grabs right title and description with out it yes gets wrong image wrong title wrong description

newsfeed and chat have same problem
The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Aug 26 '14
Vasilis
Vasilis Aug 27 '14
Hi Ross. Thanks for your reply. Any Financial Times link (e.g. http://www.ft.com/...tml?siteedition=intl)

Vasilis
Vasilis Aug 27 '14
The same link on Facebook: 

tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 27 '14
i am only have problem with links to images now 
Vasilis
Vasilis Aug 27 '14
I have checked the FT page and it has these og: meta tags as expected. The Newsfeed plugin seems to be getting the information from elsewhere. 
Vasilis
Vasilis Aug 27 '14
Tammy does this FT page preview normally on yours?
tammy harris
tammy harris Aug 27 '14
ft page ???

ross Team
ross Aug 27 '14
Vasilis how the FT page looks on your website?
Vasilis
Vasilis Aug 27 '14
Hi Ross. I uploaded a print screen 4 messages ago but the image is no longer visible for some reason. Its says FT - Error | Akamai Error and loads no image and for the description is mentions something like the standard FT description and not the particular page.

Thanks

The Forum post is edited by Vasilis Aug 27 '14
ross Team
ross Oct 30 '14
the preview fetches title, description and first image it finds. 
Pages: 1 2 »