We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Can't update Oxwall | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Azia Underwood
Azia Underwood Oct 31 '11
First off let me make it clear I DON'T WANT TO DO MANUAL UPDATE. Whenever I do this (even while following the instructions) I screw something up.

Okay so I have cron jobs set up properly and the link is there to auto update my site but here is the problem.

When I go to update I am asked for FTP details... I don't use FTP; I use SFTP (or SSH) because I am on a VPS. I do have an FTP user is my control panel that I installed so I tried that and no luck.

All it says is
"Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files."
The Forum post is edited by Azia Underwood Oct 31 '11
Owen Baines
Owen Baines Oct 31 '11
The FTP required is the Main FTP (Special FTP created on Account creation) You should have the

Username - (Your Account)@(yourdomain)

and your password should be your CPanel log in.
ma3ih Club
ma3ih Oct 31 '11
some of my users have same problem sometimes
Owen Baines
Owen Baines Oct 31 '11
You need the correct FTP Details like i said.

If your ohsting account was Oxwall and your password was Oxwall22 and your domain was Oxwall.org then the details would be,

Oxwall@oxwall.org and password is Oxwall22.

If you read what i said then it should work.
Azia Underwood
Azia Underwood Nov 2 '11
Quote from Owen Baines The FTP required is the Main FTP (Special FTP created on Account creation) You should have the

Username - (Your Account)@(yourdomain)

and your password should be your CPanel log in.

You do realize the I don't have cpanel and working on an UNMANAGED VPS where I have installed everything myself through SFTP and Putty.

My hosting doesn't provide cpanel for me and can't help me with this

sorry I gotta tell you this by those FTP details aren't correct for any hosting that I have seen

Your hostname is usually always your website domain or you append ftp to the beginning or it.

Your username never has @yourdomain appended to the end of it, at least its not supposed to. 

So by your example the correct login should be
Hostname: Oxwall.org
Username: Oxwall
Password: Oxwall32
Port: 21
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 2 '11
If you can manage your own vps you can upload a few files and that is it. FYI your username can have @yourdomain appeneded to it if you create a custom ftp user.
Azia Underwood
Azia Underwood Nov 2 '11
I've never seen it that way 
I'm new to VPSes so I don't know how to do a lot of things, just really the basics 
Anyways I got everything updated with SFTP