We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

404 Error after URL change | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Adam Dawtrey
Adam Dawtrey Nov 6 '11
I was running Oxwall successfully on one of my other Spare URL's, but now that the site started to take off I decide to purchase A URL just for it.
Purchased the URL then set to work copying the files to the new location within my file control panel.All went successfully, then I changed the "ow_includes/config.php" to the new URL, and saved the settings.

I can now access the site using my new URL but after logging in, if i try to click on anything like the forum page (literally anything) it throws me a 404 error telling me that the requested URL cannot be found on this server.

This is really infuriating because there is absolutely no reason that I can see for the error.
I'm hoping somebody can help.
The Forum post is edited by Adam Dawtrey Nov 6 '11
Adam Dawtrey
Adam Dawtrey Nov 6 '11
Nevermind, this post can be deleted.

Oxwall is too buggy, there isn't enough staff support available for if anything goes wrong, my users have been left stranded for hours, this is un-reasonable.

I shall move to different software and never recommend oxwall to anybody.

I wish everybody all the best with this software.
Den Team
Den Nov 7 '11
I am really sorry that you didn't receive any response. It was Sunday and a lot of us has holidays in these days. In any way let me know if you still need help. 
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 7 '11
Adam you have to understand this software is being developed and handed out for free and you are giving 6 hours of support time. I could understand if you were paying you would expect better response times. I did see this post and i was going to give a response but i thought i would leave it to one of the team as i wasn't 100% sure.

It could be a permissions issue or htaccess issue.
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 7 '11
.htaccess issue as Keelan mentions or your host isnt redirecting right.
Did you chahge the URL in config.php?
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 7 '11
Quote from Michael .htaccess issue as Keelan mentions or your host isnt redirecting right.
Yep:
Quote from Adam Dawtreythen I changed the "ow_includes/config.php" to the new URL, and saved the settings.

Did you also change hosts? If so do the meet the Oxwall requirements?

The Forum post is edited by Keelan Nov 7 '11
Adam Dawtrey
Adam Dawtrey Nov 8 '11

I must admit I was rash with my choice to move software, I was just very annoyed as nothing was working how it should with config and I was recieving complaints upon complaints.

I am going to freshly install oxwall on my new file location and start fresh, all members that wish to stay with me, will do, others i can do without.

There are just a few things that really do need ironing out with oxwall, one of which being the "apps" a lot of them are unusable due to them conflicting with each other, which narrows down the choice, and takes away the option of paying for any of the developed apps just incase any dont work, it would be wasted money (the devs don't seem to like to respond to individual questions unless mobbed by complaining users).

I shall stick with Oxwall afterall as I do agree with the poits you have put across.

I hope some of the problems get ironed out in due time.

The Forum post is edited by Adam Dawtrey Nov 8 '11
Adam Dawtrey
Adam Dawtrey Nov 8 '11

Quote from Keelan
Quote from Michael .htaccess issue as Keelan mentions or your host isnt redirecting right.
Yep:
Quote from Adam Dawtreythen I changed the "ow_includes/config.php" to the new URL, and saved the settings.

Did you also change hosts? If so do the meet the Oxwall requirements?

And no I didn't change hosts, I run too many websites to bother doing that lol.

I do have some knowledge of php and such but no matter what I tried it just threw me errors, but not to worry, it really is just one of those things, my guess is the file route is indented in more than one or two places and does't change so easily.

Michael Leader
Michael Nov 8 '11
I have had oxwall running with only minor errors but nothing show stopping since it was born back in beta!  ANy bigger bugs were fixed by Oxwall.  OK may take a while but it was fixed.  I expect nothing more from a free service!
I have run several Oxwall sites on my single host.  1 on main domain and one on addon domain.  Any problems I had were .htaccess.
I have moved sites from one host to another.  I have a very stable successful daily incremental backup system running each night and I regularly load that up in another location.  This checks data integrity and also allows me to play.

I have stripped bits from databases to restore broken bits in sites for others.
In short.  Oxwall is very robust in moving.   And if you do have any issues please do post.  You will get help!
Den Team
Den Nov 9 '11
Nice to hear that you came back :)
Quote from Adam Dawtrey There are just a few things that really do need ironing out with oxwall, one of which being the "apps" a lot of them are unusable due to them conflicting with each other, which narrows down the choice, and takes away the option of paying for any of the developed apps just incase any dont work, it would be wasted money

Would you provide us with some examples? We are really interesting in such feedback. What plugins are conflicted and unusable? 

Quote from Adam Dawtrey the devs don't seem to like to respond to individual questions unless mobbed by complaining users).
It's more accurate to say "don't have enough time" instead "dont' like" :)
Adam Dawtrey
Adam Dawtrey Nov 9 '11
Quote from Addenster Nice to hear that you came back :)
Quote from Adam Dawtrey There are just a few things that really do need ironing out with oxwall, one of which being the "apps" a lot of them are unusable due to them conflicting with each other, which narrows down the choice, and takes away the option of paying for any of the developed apps just incase any dont work, it would be wasted money

Would you provide us with some examples? We are really interesting in such feedback. What plugins are conflicted and unusable? 

Quote from Adam Dawtrey the devs don't seem to like to respond to individual questions unless mobbed by complaining users).
It's more accurate to say "don't have enough time" instead "dont' like" :)

By conflicting software I am talking of such software as the Instant chat plugin, if used with certain other addons it makes the site unusable untill such a time as you remove it.

Once again michael, "free service" isn't good enough alone, as I mentioned on a previous post, I woudlnt use a chocolate fireguard simply because it was free...
I do agree that with it being free and with limited Devs that there will be bugs, but it isn't a good idea with any website or service to keep shouting out "free" and expecting smiles.
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 9 '11
Quote from Adam Dawtreythe devs don't seem to like to respond to individual questions unless mobbed by complaining users).
Also normally if it is just one person then its something they did or didn't do and/or a possible environment issue. Where as if 10 people complain about the same thing then it is more than likely a software issue.

Once again you need to state which plugins conflict with which, the only conflict i had is the image slide show messes up my templates. More than likely due to a CSS conflict and it doesn't work with IE. But i just removed it.

Michael Leader
Michael Nov 9 '11
I  had the image slide show work fine...  It was the sql queries that it kept making made me remove it.  host was grumpy.
Adam Dawtrey
Adam Dawtrey Nov 9 '11

Quote from Keelan
Quote from Adam Dawtreythe devs don't seem to like to respond to individual questions unless mobbed by complaining users).
Also normally if it is just one person then its something they did or didn't do and/or a possible environment issue. Where as if 10 people complain about the same thing then it is more than likely a software issue.

Once again you need to state which plugins conflict with which, the only conflict i had is the image slide show messes up my templates. More than likely due to a CSS conflict and it doesn't work with IE. But i just removed it.

Your stating 1 in 10, which in addition is 10 in 100 and 100 in 1000 (so on, so forth).. Trust me, I know a lot about customer service, having owned my own companies for a few years and them having taken off quite well, you learn never to under estimate single enquieries, even when it seems like there is only one person, it could be that there is only one person that is actually bothering mentioning it.

Seeing as if you read my abopve question properly, you will notice that it is neither an environment issue or personal fault (as I have outlined everything that I did to attempt to correct the issue and it follows "the book" completely).

What would be wise would be to stop blaming all the faults on a lack of time, the software being free.. rocket landings or whatever else you can come up with and actually look at the ruite of the problems.

Wether the service is free or not the devs should be happy that people are choosing to use the service and have certain volunteer uusers that know more about the software to lend assistance to users.

But before anybody preaches to me about using software that is still in development then you should take into consideration that the software has been released, and "end user" software should always come with support if it is still in production, wether it is free or paid.

The Forum post is edited by Adam Dawtrey Nov 9 '11
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 9 '11
Did the clean install work?
If so, consider using the data importer and exporter plugins to move users across.
Make sure this is all done before the site goes live.
The Forum post is edited by Michael Nov 9 '11