We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

HostGator | Forum

Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 7 '11
So i was with HostGator shared hosting, i had no issues except you are only allowed 15 minute cron job minimums. So with this in mind and i plan to create a popular site i moved over to a VPS.

CPU1.13 GHZ
RAM768 MB
Disk Space30 GB
Bandwidth500 GB
cPanel

Now i can add 1 minute cron jobs and not worry about resource issues plus its managed so backups and software updates/installs are done for me.

So far no issues. Oxwall removed them as a recommended host because they neglected to keep the Oxwall script up to date via the QuickInstall panel.

If you choose to use HostGator avoid the QuickInstall Oxwall install as this misses files and incorrectly CHMOD's them. Do a manual install.
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 7 '11
I must agree, doing a manual install is much better.  It doesn't take long to do anyway and you are in control. (ish)
Nishat Shahriyar
Nishat Shahriyar Jan 22 '12
If i use  HostGator shared hosting,will it occur any problem with my website?

I am going to move my site at hostgator.
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 31 '12
There won't be any problems if you move your site properly. Don't forget to backup before transferring files and database.
Russell
Russell Mar 7 '13
How would you transfer database? It keeps denying my import to mysql
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Suggest you to create a new topic and list your issues there with more information about the import error messages.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 10 '13
You can not import you old database on to the new if your do not empty the records in all the tables. I export the tables one by one to a folder on my hard drive.  Then upload them one by one after clearing out the records in the tables of the new database. Some tables you need not worry about if they have no records in.

Your need to collapse (zip) and then expand (unzip) on your new site:

The directories

ow_pluginfiles
ow_plugins
ow_userfiles

it normally works fine, if your are watching whats happening on your new site, then do the newsfeed tables last, or your get a 500 page error.      

Michael I.
Michael I. Mar 11 '13
Well, you actually can import your old database to the new one of you export it on your old server and import it via phpMyAdmin.
Bob (Coder Whacker)
Bob (Coder Whacker) Mar 11 '13
Yes Micheal, it does work if you delete the records out of the tables on the new database however prior to the import.  Other wise you keep getting errors that make it rather annoying. Then its best make sure all the plugins are installed exactly the same as the old site prior too to make things go smooth. 

david frost
david frost Sep 29 '15
By the way, for a database around 50GB in size, how long does it overall take for the move? [img]https://imagicon.info/cat/6-4/1.gif[/img]
ross Team
ross Sep 29 '15
around 24 hours

The Forum post is edited by ross Sep 29 '15