We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall.org and IM | Forum

Michael Leader
Michael Nov 8 '11
I was wondering if Oxwall.org were going to enable IM.  It could be useful for helping users. (or even arrowchat?  They could be nice, give it for free to oxwall.org........Worth trying|)

Could be good for those who want to help others with a faster response time.

( I thought I asked this earlier but cannot fine it...apologies if this is a duplicate post)
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 8 '11
As globally allow and not just friends? I am not sure people get mad if you don't respond to a thread they posted 3 hours ago if they message me and i left my computer logged in or something it would be all our war ha.

For friends, sure!
Max
Max Nov 8 '11
The problem with IM is problem and question are not write in forum. If someone have same problem, he will not found an answer for this.
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 8 '11
So using it more of a live chat support?
Max
Max Nov 8 '11
Yes but problem are often the same. It's better if users can search question ever answered.
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 8 '11
I agree though a lot of people still don't use the search feature ha.
Max
Max Nov 8 '11
It's true :/
But If IM is enabled, when Addenster will login, hewill be inundated with questions xD
It's like support by Private message..
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 8 '11
If the ability to set to invisible, busy or online were there then I cant see a problem.
Yes Keelan, I can imagine someone posting a problem and going mental cos no one fixed their site before the ink was even dry on the post!
With Arrowchat you can have specific rooms for support.  If the ability is there to turn it off per person (or block) then I can only see it as an enhancement.

@Max...  Few people search!  If a problem was found then yes, a forum post should follow.

IM you can personally opt out of.  I can only see benefit in it.  Addenster can hide if he likes.  Or set to friends only.  

I still think Arrowchat could be beneficial.   And I still think they should donate it to oxwall for this purpose!  After all it is a shameless plug for their product and personally, once I get a stable good fast host, I will be getting it to trial!

so:
IM, can only be good if people can opt out, be invisible or select privacy!
Arrowchat should probably be the medium.  It gets airtime for their product.  They can see it in a real world environment.  They can develop it more. 

If it gets abused too much...  remove it but maybe try it first before shooting the idea down!  (At least run tinychat, you only appear there if you are on the page and you can pvt message within it)
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 8 '11
I do agree that it should be installed for the sole reason to showcase it. But as friends only. 
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 9 '11
Well.  I think I have my local server cracked.  I am seriously considering dropping them and hosting from home.  I will probably get arrowchat and deploy it there.