We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Canonical redirect, Canonical REL attribute - Oxwall Art Advanced SEO | Forum

tammy harris
tammy harris Oct 14 '14
hi sandar

can you please explane Canonical redirect, Canonical REL attribute

i have read a lot on this and just can not workout what changes this does to my site 
this seams to be something that should be by page by page basis 

http://searchenginewatch.com/...irects-vs.-Canonical
Sardar
Sardar Oct 14 '14
Hi Tammy,

I'm going to update the plugin description (including all new features) this weekends. Canonicalization helps webmasters to avoid multiple versions of the same content on different URLs. It's very bad for SEO and can lead to bad consequences like:

"

- Search engines don't know which version(s) to include/exclude from their indices

- Search engines don't know whether to direct the link metrics (trust, authority, anchor text, link juice, etc.) to one page, or keep it separated between multiple versions

- Search engines don't know which version(s) to rank for query results

- When this happens, site owners suffer rankings and traffic losses and engines suffer lowered relevancy.

Both options solve this problem. Redirect option makes 301 redirect if duplicate content is detected and rel option adds special tag which provides content original URL.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

tammy harris
tammy harris Oct 17 '14
thanks but im still at a loss as to what is best for my site

also the og tag are great but its not grab any images every page i have looked at has the default image even all profiles is default image and not the avatar 
tammy harris
tammy harris Oct 17 '14
ts also over ride image in photos  from add me widgets they show default images now 

i have to remove its no good
lyndaeldo
lyndaeldo Nov 14 '16
A canonical URL allows you to tell search engines that certain similar URLs are actually one and the same.

301 – Hey, Search Engines: My page is no longer here, and has permanently moved to a new page. Please remove it from your index and pass credit to the new page.

Canonical – Hey, (most) Search Engines: I have multiple versions of this page (or content), please only index this version. I’ll keep the others available for people to see, but don’t include them in your index and please pass credit to my preferred page.

ex:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://net-informations.com/" />

Which is Better?

Google’s own Matt Cutts answered this very question in a Google Webmaster Help video in which he confirms that: although rel=canonical is a directive that Google generally follows, 301 Redirect are to be preferred whenever/wherever possible.  You should be cautious when using either 301s or a rel=canonical, as these changes can easily go wrong if not implemented correctly, and hurt your website as a result. Regardless of the path you choose, be the “master of your domain”

Lynda

You do not have permission to reply this topic