We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

CPU usage - High | Forum

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Oct 22 '14
As we all know part of being a webmaster includes the constant battle of  keeping your site running efficiently,,,
a tedious task to say the least, especially if your utilizing Shared Hosting services..

As you can see from the above Screenie my site is running efficient, to some efficient enough, to Me, Not efficient enough, a Load time of anything over the 2 second mark is unacceptable...

After further digging into this issue I have found the issue/Source may be related to the script at: public_html/index.php as this particular script is running high Cpu's...

Proof is in the pudding
Top Process %CPU 105 /usr/bin/php /home/krunch/public_html/index.php
Top Process %CPU 93.0 /usr/bin/php /home/krunch/public_html/index.php
Top Process %CPU 88.0 /usr/bin/php /home/krunch/public_html/index.php

I'd like to add that I'm so busy doing other things I rarely have time to properly network/Keep members active, so at best I may have anywhere from 2 to 5 members on at any given time, sometimes I have zero online members, shit happens I say - LoL, no matter, my site's Cpu's should Not be running this high!,

P.S.
Any Ideas from anyone?

Regards
-Krunch
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Oct 29 '14

I'm using 1.7.1 and all themes n Plugins are kept as updated, cron is proper, disabled plugins,
haven't applied any real code modifications,  my site STILL repeatedly spikes to near 100%
CPU usage, So only thing it can be is the Messages plugin.

I'm constantly being limited and this keeps my site running/Loading slow.
The message as follows NEVER turns off:

Resource Usage Overview: Your site has been limited within the past 24 hours.

I'm pretty much at my end here using the Oxwall software, it may seriously be time
to consider other Social Networking scripts for me, way too much headache and
constant battle of keeping this script running smoothly...
The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Oct 29 '14
bobbi
bobbi Oct 30 '14
i have recently updated to 1.7.1 as well the first thing i did was uncheck chat from the message plug in i notice it shows every friend you have whether they are online or not that must be heavy on resources especially if you have a big site with 100s or 1000s of members so for now i have no im chat, have you tried unchecking chat see if it brings your cpu down or deactivating the plug in

i am on business class with arvixe and the server load for my server is under 10 over 350 sites share the server i am on, my server doesnt have the cpu meter so i cant check my own usage
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Oct 30 '14
Joined and I seen that, solution shouldn't be that we have to discontinue use of the IM system, my members enjoy this, it's an important part of my community.
ross Team
ross Oct 30 '14
Can you PM me your admin details and Cpanel access details, please?
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Oct 30 '14

Quote from ross Can you PM me your admin details and Cpanel access details, please?

I did..
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Oct 30 '14

Quote from bobbi i have recently updated to 1.7.1 as well the first thing i did was uncheck chat from the message plug in i notice it shows every friend you have whether they are online or not that must be heavy on resources especially if you have a big site with 100s or 1000s of members so for now i have no im chat, have you tried unchecking chat see if it brings your cpu down or deactivating the plug in

i am on business class with arvixe and the server load for my server is under 10 over 350 sites share the server i am on, my server doesnt have the cpu meter so i cant check my own usage

I as well utilize the upgraded version/1.7.1, mine doesn't load all members, only online members and even sometimes not that, sometimes you have to go to the Online members page and click the (Chat Now) icon before it will show them up as online at the IM users list.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Oct 30 '14

Quote from Kяuncн
Quote from bobbi i have recently updated to 1.7.1 as well the first thing i did was uncheck chat from the message plug in i notice it shows every friend you have whether they are online or not that must be heavy on resources especially if you have a big site with 100s or 1000s of members so for now i have no im chat, have you tried unchecking chat see if it brings your cpu down or deactivating the plug in

I as well utilize the upgraded version/1.7.1, mine doesn't load all members, only online members and even sometimes not that, sometimes you have to go to the Online members page and click the (Chat Now) icon before it will show them up as online at the IM users list.

Update: tinkering around I tried changing Confessions plugin to show instead of the default 10 posts per page to 5, kept giving out e500, disabled the Confessions plugin and now the IM chat IS showing all site members w/In the IM User list.