We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

accounts and roll problems - Paid Membership | Forum

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 3 '14
ok say i have 2 accounts and 2 rolls
accounts
free
payed

rolles
free
payed

in admin profile questions set up accounts 
and questions for both accounts
and set payed account to be default payed roll

now a free member upgrades to payed roll
they dont get the payed roll questions 
but join as payed member gets the payed members questions 
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Nov 30 '14

Tammy, the system does not work this way. 

This is the simple core functionality which just gives an opportunity to set a role to the specific account type. 

The account types can be chosen on the registration only. Thus, when a user joins the site, they chooses the specific account type, fills in the set of profile questions belonging to this account type and the system gives allocated role. That's it.  

There is no possibility to make the system work in the reverse direction. i.e. to change the account types in case a user changed the role (upgraded their account).

P.S. The Paid Membership plugin has nothing to do with this functionality. 

The Forum post is edited by Skalfa LLC Nov 30 '14
James
James Dec 1 '14
Then how does the upgraded member get the upgraded credit packs or action costs?
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Dec 1 '14

Dear James, 

Sorry, but it's not quite clear. What do you mean by saying 'get the upgraded credit packs or action costs'? Are you talking about the User Credits plugin and its relationship with Paid Membership plugin? Could you please explain in more details?

James
James Dec 1 '14
Yes.. When a person upgrades there membership to VIP. I don't want them to do things on free and when they upgrade they can with the paid membership. The role switches to paid(VIP).  With VIP they get cheaper credits price and more credits for doing actions on the site.

I had it all set with hidden the Account types on the join page. So that way they do not get the paid(VIP) for free. But then when they upgraded it did not give them the VIP credit costs or actions. Also now with the new 1.7.2 the way they listed to hide the Account Types does not work.
You said above that this plugin does not do that anyways. So how do I then set up where the member pays with the paid membership and then they get the VIP credit pack costs and the better credits for actions on the site.

I have a new test site set up and have just the basic plugins installed. Forum, Photos, Videos, and so on.. I added both your plugins to the clean test site. The paid membership and the user credits.
I made up on the test site one extra Account Type(VIP). I have the main admin account already set up on the fresh install of the server. I then made a new account after all the plugins and account types were set up.. On the join page they can choose the free or VIP. The VIP should cost but will not charge since it is on the join page. I can then switch from free to paid(VIP) as much as I want without paying. Sure now the credits work as needed but they are not paying for the upgraded membership?

Any help would be great. thank you..
I have been trying to figure this out since I bought them from you.
tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 2 '14
ye sit just does not work right 

also user credits on member upgrade to new roll
does not change any the credits amounts  it stay the same no matter what you set it to 

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Dec 5 '14

Guys,

As far as I've understood from your explanations, you have three main problems with this system configuration:

1. You have VIP account type and when a user chose this account type - you want a user to upgrade to (pay for) the membership type assigned to this account type on the registration. 

2. If a user chose Free account on the registration and then upgraded to (payed for) the VIP membership type - the account type for this user should also be changed to the VIP account type.

3. The credits packs assigned to different account types should also be changed in case a user changed their account type by upgrading to VIP membership (this problem is as a consequence of the second problem).

The fact is that the User Credits and Paid Membership plugins are two separate systems which do no work jointly with the Account types and Roles features the way you need. 

These plugins are just addons for the core Account Type and Roles functionality and allow the site admin to earn money. These plugins can not affect the core functionality the way you've described, for instance, change a user account type in case the user upgraded their membership (changed role).

This all about the Account Type and Roles features and should be developed in the core within the Account Type and Roles functionality. 

The default account type and roles systems work as I've described above:

"The account types can be chosen on the registration only. Thus, when a user joins the site, they chooses the specific account type, fills in the set of profile questions belonging to this account type and the system gives allocated role. That's it. "

Just imagine, you have no Paid Membership and User Credits plugins installed on the site. You created two account types and two roles. You want the account type to be changed in case the site admin changed a user role. What should you change and configure to make it work in this case?

Another problem is the relationship between the User Credits and Paid Membership plugins - if a service is available to the membership type which is based on the certain role - the credits will never be taken from the balance. So, if you need the service to be paid by credits - it should not be available to a user role and vice versa. We believe that this is the correct way to handle the site monetization despite of this behavior not always satisfy the requirements of specific site conceptions.

Hereunder, there are two ways in your situation:

First way is to re-consider the site monetization conception to make the site work with the default functionality.

Second way is to perform a custom code modification to achieve the technical effect you need.

tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 5 '14
il enplane it easy for you

lets say i have 2 accounts and 2 rolls

account names A  and B

rolls   Y  and Z

account A is set to be default  roll Y
account B set to default roll  Z
now if a user is account A and in payed membership upgrades from roll Y to roll Z
they should get the questions set up for account B

credit

user on roll  Y  set to lose 2 credits on add friends 
roll  Z  set to use oxwall to control it  so should not lose credits on add friends 

but it keeps taking credits 

what ever is set in roll Y controls  roll Z in user credits 

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Dec 5 '14
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Dec 11 '14
Tammy, this is what I was talking about:

"This all about the Account Type and Roles features and should be developed in the core within the Account Type and Roles functionality. The User Credits and Paid Membership plugins are just addons for the core Account Type and Roles functionality and were designed to allow the site admin to earn money.

tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 12 '14
well select account is completely useless

can you add select rolls 

so can set different prices per roll

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Dec 12 '14
James
James Dec 12 '14

Quote from Tammy well select account is completely useless

can you add select rolls 

so can set different prices per roll

I agree...
James
James Dec 13 '14
Ok what good is this plugin? Really?
You make up a new Account type for this to work. At the join page they can pick what account type they want. The problem is, THEY NEVER HAVE TO PAY.... They are already set to that account type. You have to have two different user roles.. Ok I got that part. but then you need to setup at least two account types for the different roles? But they get everything for free because they already picked there account type at the join.... Where do they not get stuff until they make a payment?? You do not even have a demo of your plugin in action. I need an ideal of how you can make money off your plugins that I have spent a good bit of money on. Every way I look at it I don't see or get how this are to be set up.
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jan 16 '15

Guys,

The Paid Membership plugin just allows you (site admins) to get money from the site users. That's it. Oxwall created possibility to divide users by levels (roles) and we simply allow the site admin to set the price for this role, nothing more.

The functionality you are describing has nothing to do with the memberships. It's all about Oxwall core functionality and our plugin cannot effect this functionality the way you are describing. 

All we can say is that we are going to add the possibility for admins to add the subscription option onto the registration process. In this case when a user joins the site, chooses the account type or whatever, they will not be able to use the site unless they subscribe to a certain membership type.

tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 16 '15

Quote from Skalfa LLC

Guys,

The Paid Membership plugin just allows you (site admins) to get money from the site users. That's it. Oxwall created possibility to divide users by levels (roles) and we simply allow the site admin to set the price for this role, nothing more.

The functionality you are describing has nothing to do with the memberships. It's all about Oxwall core functionality and our plugin cannot effect this functionality the way you are describing. 

All we can say is that we are going to add the possibility for admins to add the subscription option onto the registration process. In this case when a user joins the site, chooses the account type or whatever, they will not be able to use the site unless they subscribe to a certain membership type.

thats completely useless as well

it needs to work with accounts properly or rolls 
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jan 16 '15
Tammy, I will forward this topic and your requests to our Product Department. They will consider what can be developed and redesigned to make the plugin work according to your needs.
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 17 '15
its not just mt needs its everyone 

as it is now its just not work right with user credits 

You do not have permission to reply this topic