We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to use two themes together | Forum

Frank Z
Frank Z Nov 13 '14
This title could be little bit confusing.
What I want is : if my user use a PC to browse my site, it switch to a theme that I want which is better for PC, and if they browse it from mobile devices, it switch to a mobile friendly theme.
Can this be possible?
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Nov 13 '14
this is something i am interested in aswell 
Frank Z
Frank Z Nov 13 '14
Kieron,
I don't think this is a complicated problem, oxwall can already recognize different devices if you enable the mobile mod. Maybe there is a way to rewrite the "mobile" file under a existing theme to do that?
The Forum post is edited by Frank Z Nov 13 '14
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 13 '14
Disable site mobile version at: your-site/admin/mobile/settings and use a responsive theme from the store selection at: http://www.oxwall.org/store/list/theme/tagged/responsive
Frank Z
Frank Z Nov 13 '14

Quote from Kяuncн Disable site mobile version at: your-site/admin/mobile/settings and use a responsive theme from the store selection at: http://www.oxwall.org/store/list/theme/tagged/responsive
Thank you but that's not what I want..

I want a website which contain two different theme for different devices...

I already bought a very perfect theme (Not responsive) and I have another theme which is responsive.

I'm asking if there are any ways to make them work separately for different devices.

Frank Z
Frank Z Nov 13 '14

Try to upload another theme under an existing theme's mobile folder

But it can't work and showed that, same as what I think.

Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 14 '14
You can't upload a desktop theme to the mobile theme folder..
Frank Z
Frank Z Nov 14 '14

Quote from Kяuncн You can't upload a desktop theme to the mobile theme folder..
 Is is possible to add a if statement (I'm not very good at programming) to the theme file to decide which CSS will it use? Can it works?
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 14 '14
No, the best way is to customize the default mobile version theme
Frank Z
Frank Z Nov 14 '14

Quote from Kяuncн No, the best way is to customize the default mobile version theme
Ops.... But default mobile version doesn't contain forum or blog function... my users are really can't get rid of it...
The Forum post is edited by Frank Z Nov 14 '14
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 16 '14
@Chris_W  I'm thinking his goal is to have 2 separate themes, the no-responsive for desktop version then have the system auto detect when a mobile device is detected and use a responsive theme for this.
Kяuncн Leader
Kяuncн Nov 16 '14
Yeah, thanks for saying this for me lol,,, wait, while were at it,,,,, why not add auto detect to those accessing the site via tablet ;->
The Forum post is edited by Kяuncн Nov 16 '14
Frank Z
Frank Z Nov 16 '14

Quote from Chris_W
Quote from Kяuncн @Chris_W  I'm thinking his goal is to have 2 separate themes, the no-responsive for desktop version then have the system auto detect when a mobile device is detected and use a responsive theme for this.

Seems like he's making thing more difficult than they need to be. If he can find a responsive theme he likes, I can't think of a reason not to use it for both. What would be the reason for not using a responsive theme for PC users?
Chris_W,

I just want to bring better experience to my user.. and by the way, I already bought an very perfect NO-Responsive theme. I'm still a student so I don't really want to afford another one... And I don't really like those responsive theme design because for mobile it looks great but for PC might too simple...

FB
FB Jul 10 '19

I  know that this thread is old, but did you FrankZ get a solution to this problem?

Or anyone has how to define a theme to be used by the mobile version and another for the desktop version. Since the PWA it has even more sense to have a different theme for the mobile edition.

Marius
Marius Aug 17 '19

Mobile for Oxwall Plugin:  

https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1310

Quote from FB

I  know that this thread is old, but did you FrankZ get a solution to this problem?

Or anyone has how to define a theme to be used by the mobile version and another for the desktop version. Since the PWA it has even more sense to have a different theme for the mobile edition.

Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Aug 18 '19

I don't think recommending Aron plugins is a good idea.

The forum is full of complaints from this developer to the point that he was expelled, go to his profile and you will check.

What makes no sense is that your plugins are still for sale.

I think that the manager of the OxWall store should eliminate them from the sale or at least give a warning that "you are buying a plugin whose developer ..."

Marius
Marius Aug 18 '19

This plugin is ok.  I install and work fine.  Not all  Aron”s plugins  is ok,  but this plugin is  good.  I tested.  

Quote from Patricia Zorrilla Bcn

I don't think recommending Aron plugins is a good idea.

The forum is full of complaints from this developer to the point that he was expelled, go to his profile and you will check.

What makes no sense is that your plugins are still for sale.

I think that the manager of the OxWall store should eliminate them from the sale or at least give a warning that "you are buying a plugin whose developer ..."