We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Messages Notifications Won't Reset | Forum

Robert Rodrigues
Robert Rodrigues Jan 4 '15
Quote from Joe Roberts The lack of feedback from the developers lately has me wondering if they think they've fixed the problem.  I have installed their "fix" and I just got a new message on my site and after responding to it, the indicator still showed the new message waiting.  I don't wish to keep manipulating my SQL database since it clears ALL new message indicators including the legitimate ones people may be relying on to inform them of new messages.
Oxwall Team Blogged: 
Right now we want to take a short but much needed break from work – our support will be limited from December 31 to January 5. Hope you do the same, and get some energy needed for a robust 2015.
Wilson
Wilson Jan 4 '15
Don't forget t finish the post....http://blog.oxwall.org/...diary-october-2-2014

Looking Ahead

Now that monumental work (that takes ages to release) is out of the way, things should fall back into a more regular and familiar pace. Nevertheless, even more great stuff is coming your way, as we have some ambitious plans for the short and long term futures. Watch this space for announcements and dev reports, since the next year and a half are shaping up to be quite exciting. Here’s why:

– Admin Panel Improvement;
– Content Management System Introduction;
– Default Theme Reimagining;
– Mobile Version Enhancement;
– User Interface Facelift;

There’s likely more stuff, and that’s quite a full plate, isn’t it? Still, our team is always excited and passionate about continuously improving the product, but only if the changes are consistent, healthy and gradually introduced.

Well, ‘till next time, when we’ll take a more detailed look at some of the things in our plan. In the meantime, subscribe to our updates on this blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ to never miss an announcement.

Cheers,
Oxwall Foundation Team

Steven
Steven Jan 12 '15
To the developers of the messaging plug-in:

The issue still exists with the mail notifications bug. According to this forum a fix has not been published and this has been going on since December 2014. This is now Mid-January. Can we please get an update from the developers on the status of the fix for this plug-in. I have over 500 users that overload our support system with reports regarding this feature not working. I could really use a permanent fix for this issue because it is a pain running sql queries manually every day. Thanks in advance for the devs prompt response to this issue.

Björn
Björn Jan 12 '15
Agree Steven,
This topic has by far the longest trail and we really don't get any reply, other than it is work in progress. At this stage I have given up on expecting even on expecting an update. "Please be patient, the developers are working on it" isn't sufficent anymore. When can we expect an update with more information?
Steven
Steven Jan 12 '15

Quote from Björn Agree Steven,
This topic has by far the longest trail and we really don't get any reply, other than it is work in progress. At this stage I have given up on expecting even on expecting an update. "Please be patient, the developers are working on it" isn't sufficent anymore. When can we expect an update with more information?
We definately need some information on this issue from the dev. This kind of thing can lead to consumer mistrust and ultimately cost clients. We just need an update and ETA on the possible fix for this issue. This is a global issue that affects many clients and their clients. OXWALL is a great platform filled with many useful features and best system out there handsdown. But, it is not valuable if there is no support to help you when you run into an issue. Because oyur clients look to you to resolve the issue and start looking at you funny when its been a month and a half and your telling them your still working on getting it fixed. Just saying....
Simone
Simone Jan 13 '15
Kids, just wait...

thank you

Kev
Kev Jan 13 '15
Middle of Jan, and there still isn't a fix for this bug yet - very poor indeed. Any update on this guys?
ross Team
ross Jan 14 '15
Guys, I have deleted your lasts 2 post, as they had nothing to do with the issue. 

Please be patient, our developers are working on the issue, the fix or update of the plugin will be provided soon. 

Евгений
Евгений Jan 23 '15
Another week passed. Corrections is still no.
Jordi
Jordi Jan 23 '15
same problems here.
Patricia Zorrilla Leader
Patricia Zorrilla Jan 24 '15
With this plugin the problem disappears

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/688

Hybrid
Hybrid Jan 24 '15

Here is my best guess on why this plugin has yet to be updated...

First and foremost, Oxwall is an open source software.  This means that contributions made by the community helps oxwall grow - those who complain over an issue for an extended period of time do not help.  If you did any reading in this thread, you will note that there IS a fix to the issues you are encountering for this plugin.

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/29195?page=3#post-127021 - (Broken down version)

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/29195?page=4#post-128274 - (May be complicated for some users if you do not know what you are doing)

Sure, this means that you yourself have to take responsibility in fixing the issue, but that is pretty much what you signed for when using open source software.

Secondly, since this messages plugin is FREE, it too is considered open source.  And since I have been an oxwall user for quite sometime now, I can attest that some issues cannot be fixed by the devs as they are unable to replicate and/or reproduce the issue.

Thirdly, when there is an update to the actual platform, that's when these freebies get updated as well, (e.g.: messages plugin, blogs, groups, events, etc.) - essentially all the FREE plugins that come with the platform.  In total I think there are 19 plugins that come with the platform.

So, if you do not want to take matters in your own hands and trust the community for help.  Please be patient.

To re-iterate:

1. Oxwall is open source, this includes the messages plugin.

2. Read the entire thread - there are actually 2 solutions to this issue (both do the same thing, 1 way is broken down for you, the other way is/or may be a bit more complicated for you if you do not know what you are doing. However, both accomplish the same result - a fix).

3. If you do not want to take matters in your own hands, please be patient. I'm sure this plugin will need to be updated once a new version of oxwall comes out (this may still be awhile, so you may need to resort to #2).

The Forum post is edited by Hybrid Jan 24 '15
Kev
Kev Jan 24 '15
@Hybrid,

Your "fix" actually isn't a fix at all. I followed your "fix" (took me hours), and yes, for a short time there were no unread messages. However, they are starting to tick up again. So the issue is inherently with the Messages plugin, and changing values in the DB is only a temporary workaround at best.

Steven
Steven Jan 25 '15

Quote from ross Guys, this is a bug and we passed to our developers. It will be fixed asap

I built a php script to access mysql database in order to auto update the read (3) status of all of the messages in the database and use a cron job to execute every 12 hours until a perm. solution is found. This keeps the messages in tact for my clients. Yes, it is inconvenient and I have a notification in my community for all members to double check their messaging section for new messages as they may not have a notification until the issue is fully resolved with the developers.
The Forum post is edited by Steven Jan 25 '15
DeFender
DeFender Jan 25 '15
try the fix from  inside83,it is working
Hybrid
Hybrid Jan 25 '15
@Kev,

Not sure what to tell you then - perhaps it is a third-party plugin that is causing this to continue for you.  I haven't had any issues with this since I figured out how to fix it using what I posted as a "temp fix" for the community until the devs of this plugin release an update and that was almost 2 months ago.  So I'd say in my case, it was a permanent solution.

inside83's short version does exactly what my long version fix does. So if you are knowledgeable with php and mysql, you can give his solution a try.  It does the exact same thing - just minus the labor on your part of having to go through the entire table in your database as the query runs automatically.

Or as Steven has suggested, you could build yourself a php script to access your mysql database and use a cron job to execute every 12 hours (or sooner) - however, you will have to either ask him here -or- PM him on how he accomplished that.  His version would be the middle version of the 2 already suggested.

Either way, these solutions have helped many others and they all work as a perm solution for the time being.

The only reason why it wouldn't work in your case (or at least that I can think of) is that you have other third-party plugins that may be affecting it.  It's unlikely but probable.  Before you go disabling plugins though, I'd suggest trying all the solutions posted by the community (in total there are 3 now) - all of which do the exact same thing - however, they progress depending on your time and availability (e.g., short version is the quickest, middle version will take more time, and the long version may take you the longest depending on the size of your websites community).

And like I've mentioned before - the devs (from my experience) rarely check these forums since they have their own "private forums" for their plugin/theme.  Oxwall does have a team of customer support though that checks these forums and relays the information to the devs.  And as Ross has pointed out many times, the devs are aware of this - so please be patient.  And since this message plugin is part of the overall oxwall software, it is highly unlikely that an update will come anytime soon.  We will more than likely see it updated when the main platform is updated.  So if you do not want to wait any longer, try all 3 solutions already posted - if it's still causing you issues, it may be a third-party plugin causing you these issues to continue, or as a matter of fact, could potentially be other variables at play that is causing this issue to continue for you.

If the 3 solutions did not work for you - post any relevant information such as error logs, etc. rather than saying these solutions did not work for you.  The community can't help if we don't know why things are not working right on your end - especially since the solutions worked and are continuing to work for so many others.

Cheers,

Hybrid

Kev
Kev Jan 25 '15
@Steven - could you share your script please buddy?

@Hybrid - thanks for the in-depth reply buddy. Reading my comment back, I didn't mean for it to come across as rude as it did. So apologies for that.

I've spent so much time on this issue with my dev site, it's very frustrating. I've been through and disabled all plugins (apart from Oxwall core), and systematically re-enabled them, but the problem still persists. There's nothing in the logs to share, literally, the only thing I can see/find are these phantom unread messages. Like I say - very frustrating.

Oxwall is FOSS, and that does need to be taken into consideration. But I think people's frustrations sometimes get the better of them, unfortunately. I'm not a PHP developer, so although I'd love to help fix the problem, my skills don't allow me too.

Anyway, hopefully Steven will share his script and a cron will draw a line under this one. :-)

Kev

Steven
Steven Jan 25 '15

Quote from Kev @Steven - could you share your script please buddy?

@Hybrid - thanks for the in-depth reply buddy. Reading my comment back, I didn't mean for it to come across as rude as it did. So apologies for that.

I've spent so much time on this issue with my dev site, it's very frustrating. I've been through and disabled all plugins (apart from Oxwall core), and systematically re-enabled them, but the problem still persists. There's nothing in the logs to share, literally, the only thing I can see/find are these phantom unread messages. Like I say - very frustrating.

Oxwall is FOSS, and that does need to be taken into consideration. But I think people's frustrations sometimes get the better of them, unfortunately. I'm not a PHP developer, so although I'd love to help fix the problem, my skills don't allow me too.

Anyway, hopefully Steven will share his script and a cron will draw a line under this one. :-)

Kev

Kev, 

My script is working very well. My support staff continue to test the system 4 times a day to ensure it is working. The only inconvenience in using my script is it resets every users messages notifications, weather user has read them or not. The good news is it does not delete the messages so i advise my users, with the help of our support team, to check the all messages folder for new entries they haven't seen.

It is a very good fix compared to some of the other methods i have seen here.

I must profess the idea of using a php script with cron came from a brain storming session our support dept had and my Head of Network Security came up with the idea from his previous experience of knowing you could do sql queries via php. So he was tasked with writing the script, so he did, and we implemented it a week ago and it has been preforming wonderfully as an alternative option. 

i AM POSTING OUR SCRIPT BELOW AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL HELP Y'ALL UNTIL A PERMANENTSOLUTION IS REACHED WITH THE DEVELOPERS.

Attachments:
  php_script_oxwall.PNG (18Kb)
Wilson
Wilson Jan 25 '15
Well that may be good for you Steven but as you have stated "The only inconvenience in using my script is it resets every users messages notifications, weather user has read them or not" tells me this is not the right TRUE fix then...I'll wait for the Oxwall team to fix there script the right way with NO issue instead of piecemealing it together. Just my view that's all. But again thanks for the input on this issue.

Wilson
Steven
Steven Jan 27 '15

Quote from Wilson Well that may be good for you Steven but as you have stated "The only inconvenience in using my script is it resets every users messages notifications, weather user has read them or not" tells me this is not the right TRUE fix then...I'll wait for the Oxwall team to fix there script the right way with NO issue instead of piecemealing it together. Just my view that's all. But again thanks for the input on this issue.

Wilson
Wilson,

This is just a temporary fix and our solution to the problem. I think we all would like the official fix but as this is FOSS sometimes that can take some time for the devs to correct. In talking with my technical support team I have learned that because this is a default plug-in, a true work around  solution would be to purchase a third party mail/messaging plug-in from the premium section of the oxwall store. This would fix the issue more permanently and you won't have to wait for a fix of the free plug-in. Also, third party plug-in devs also offer much faster plug-in fixes than the default plug-ins do. Just a thgought if you don't want to wait for the fix of the free one. We are planning to purchase the Mail Pro plug-in fron the dev "Aron". But, the ultimate decision is based on the preference for your own community. Just because something works for one community doesn't mean it is a one size fits all solution. Do what is best for your own community but we will continue to donate our experiences to the oxwall community to provide others options and encouragement to contimue to develop this great software.

Thanks,

Steven

Social Reconnection Community

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »