We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

{{{sigh}}} As Totally Expected, Problem with Oxwall Update {{{sigh}}} | Forum

ross Team
ross Dec 10 '14
Peter, Jobee, can you please remember and provide us with the steps how you updated the software? what other plugins you have on your website? As many details as possible because we cannot reproduce this issue with renaming.
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 10 '14

Quote from Peter I looked at the file htmlarea.js and it was also renamed as htmlarea_KOPY.js.
I renamed it back and now it is fixed. Thank you. btw I did not rename the original file to _KOPY. It's weird....
Thank gawd! I was beginning to think instead of sleepwalking, I might be sleepfilerenaming and not remembering it. 
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 10 '14
I followed these instructions exactly from this post: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/24134

1. deactivate all third-party plugins.
2. turn on 'Maintenance mode" in Admin Panel >Pages&Menus > Maintenance Page
3. enable DEBUG mode ( set to "true" in ow_includes/config.php)
4. perform platform update.
5. update native Oxwall plugins.
6. update your theme.
7. enable DEV mod in ow_includes/config.php
8. Turn "Maintenance Mode" off.
9. refresh any site page and disable DEV MODE: define('OW_DEV_MODE', false);

If everything is ok, activate and update third party plugins one by one. Check your site after updating each plugin. Contact plugin developer if you get any issues.

After update has been comleted make sure that ow_logs folder got renamed to  ow_log.

Here is the list of plugins I have. There are deactivated plugins that had updates, which I activated only for the purpose of updating them, then I deactivated them after updating. I don't quite remember all the plugins that had updates. Hope this helps. 

ACTIVE PLUGINS

0xArt Speed Optimizer

ADS Pro

Activity notifications

Admin Tools

Advanced Poker

Birthdays

Blogs

Compose message

Contact Us

Events

Extended Questions/Polls

Friends

Facebook Connect

Forum

Favorites

Group Cover

Groups

Image Slideshow

Image Slideshow by Oxwall CandyStore

Links Pro

Login As User

Newsfeed

PayPal Billing

Privacy

Photo

Profile View Counts

Photo Carousel

Profile Cover

PhotoGroup

Support Center

Site Statistics

Tiny Chat

TopLink

Users Quick Search + Site Search

User IP Tracker

User Hint

User Carousel

Video

Who Viewed Me

INACTIVE PLUGINS

API and App Interface for Oxwall

Anti Brute Force

AddThis

Advanced Admin Statistics

Add Skype

Abuse Report

Advertisement

Attachments

Contact Me

Classifieds - Ultimate Pro

Credits History and Transfer Credits

Cache Extreme

Chatrooms

External Linker

Feedback

Family and Friends

Fundraising / Crowdfunding

Firewall

Google Analytics

Hide External Links

Login Notify

Links

Login Redirect

MessageAll

Membership Level

Oxwall Backup Genie

Oxwall Credit Lotto

Oxwall Art FAQ

Profile progress bar

Profile Snippets

Referral Bonus

Radio Player

Referral Invite Credit Points

Reminder Notifications

Site Backups + Site Monitor

Site FAQ

Super Plugin Controls

Spam Blitz

Smart Captcha

Shop Pro

Suggested Friends Widget

Top users by Oxwall CandyStore

User Credits

Virtual Gifts

WYSIWYGEDITOR (Visual Editor)

YouTube

ross Team
ross Dec 10 '14
Let's see what Peter says
Kumi Festus
Kumi Festus Dec 12 '14
I am so afraid to update my site looking at what is happening here, and from my history I always have problems during updates.
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 13 '14

Quote from Kumi Festus I am so afraid to update my site looking at what is happening here, and from my history I always have problems during updates.
I understand that sentiment, and I also understand how frustrating it is. And I also experienced before that when the problems happen, support was very slow to respond in the past. 

But it seems lately, the Oxwall team has realized that, and have made changes.

Lately, I have seen Ross being very busy responding to support requests in a very timely manner. And he has resolved all my problems and my site is now running better than it ever has before thanks to him. I am no longer scared of updates.

Problems can happen during updates, but those problems can be resolved. Ross has been extremely helpful, and I have seen that he is very competent to take on any problem. I have seen a big improvement in Oxwall support.

So I recommend you go ahead and update. Follow these instructions closely: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/24134 and simply report any problems you can't resolve yourself. Once the bugs and issues are worked out, you'll be glad you did. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 13 '14

Quote from Jobee Bendijo
Quote from Kumi Festus I am so afraid to update my site looking at what is happening here, and from my history I always have problems during updates.
I understand that sentiment, and I also understand how frustrating it is. And I also experienced before that when the problems happen, support was very slow to respond in the past. 

But it seems lately, the Oxwall team has realized that, and have made changes.

Lately, I have seen Ross being very busy responding to support requests in a very timely manner. And he has resolved all my problems and my site is now running better than it ever has before thanks to him. I am no longer scared of updates.

Problems can happen during updates, but those problems can be resolved. Ross has been extremely helpful, and I have seen that he is very competent to take on any problem. I have seen a big improvement in Oxwall support.

So I recommend you go ahead and update. Follow these instructions closely: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/24134 and simply report any problems you can't resolve yourself. Once the bugs and issues are worked out, you'll be glad you did. 

yes updates have become less painful 

ross is doing a great job 

but ever update is so full of bugs and problems 

oxwall needs to release update on here and there test site for one month before releasing to public, so most the big problems can be fixed

instead of a huge flow of issues flooding the forums smashing pore ross
and having oxwall dev scramble for trying to fix so many problems

the test site should have 2 modes basic install and full setup

basic install  just default plugins

full install  have every theme every plugin available  so users can test there setups on if its going to work or not and be able to contact dev on any issues there may be 

dev can test there plugins working with other plugins 

once all issues are resolved release the update 

you can not run a site where you have everything set up how u want it 
then do an update and have half your site not running for few months waiting for dev to fix stuff
then just get everything working again and in 1 weeks time wow another update and go through the whole mess again 

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Dec 13 '14
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 13 '14
Tammy, I agree. Sometimes I feel like we're all forced to be the beta testers with our live sites.

Having said all that...in closing.... I think I'm seeing improvements because I think Oxwall Team is realizing all this, and working gradually to improve things. Evolution takes time. I'm staying hopeful. Certainly this last update experience went much much better than all previous, and I also learned a whole lot. 

Sometimes the experience is worse because of our own lack of knowledge. And I think developers sometimes develop thinking we're all developers. A couple months ago, when I updated to 1.7.0, I saw it show up in my admin, and I just clicked and started the update. Was there any information or link to direct me on HOW to perform the update? NOPE!! 

What resulted was my site totally screwed up. I did not know there was a particular way to perform the update, BECAUSE I GUESS THE DEV TEAM ASSUMED EVERYONE KNOWS. Come to find out, I found instructions in the forum on how to do the update, but it was too late. Why couldn't they put a link to those instructions in the update notice that appears in my admin??????????

It totally pissed me off. 

Sometimes devs just don't realize some of us are not technicians. Yeah, we know how to upload scripts, we know certain things, but not everything. If I was a dev, I guess I could write my own script, right? I wouldn't need to use this one, or buy plugins. I could just write my own. So devs, PLEASE....if there are certain steps to follow, or instructions, LET US KNOW IN THE NOTICES THAT APPEAR IN OUR ADMINS. We cannot read minds.

Please put yourself in our shoes when you develop. Most of us are users, not developers. We don't know what you know. If we did, we wouldn't need you. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 13 '14
i have seen hundreds off ppl come to oxwall say wow how great it is 
only to in few months of painful updates and dealing with plugins that dont work and dev that just should be be allowed to sell crappy plugins 

to leave oxwall in descust   
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 13 '14
To be honest, if it were possible to export all my users and their data, their photos associated with their profiles, etc....and import them to a professional paid social network script like Dolphin or Social Engine or something that is costly, but only one time cost, I would do it. I would drop $600 on a script right now, and I would pay each yearly fee for ongoing support (which I probably wouldn't need very much because they know how to test and write scripts and plugins that integrate with everything). 

But I don't, because my site has been established for 2.5 years, with a couple thousand members. I would have to start the site from scratch again.

So I am hoping that Oxwall will get their act together and make updates much less painful and buggy, and put a tighter reign on garbage, rip-off plugin devs, and require everything to integrate with everything. If it doesn't, it's doesn't get approved. 

Oxwall is sort of like the Wild Wild West in many ways.  

Durlabh Ashok
Durlabh Ashok Dec 13 '14
+1 jobee, I agree with you.
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 13 '14
Yeah, I'm basically stuck with Oxwall now (unless someone out there knows if there is a way to export user data and photos for import to another platform)
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 13 '14
Maybe Ross should be the CEO of Oxwall. I've never received much useful help from anyone here in any timely fashion until Ross came around. 

I vote for Ross..Chief Director of Oxwall. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 13 '14
if oxwall cleaned the whole mess up id would be happy to pay for the script 
Jobee Bendijo
Jobee Bendijo Dec 13 '14

Quote from Tammy if oxwall cleaned the whole mess up id would be happy to pay for the script 
Thus the reason it's free.
tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 13 '14
its not free go and buy every plugin you need to make ur site work 

it will cost you over $1200
Durlabh Ashok
Durlabh Ashok Dec 14 '14
Quote from Jobee Bendijo Yeah, I'm basically stuck with Oxwall now (unless someone out there knows if there is a way to export user data and photos for import to another platform)

Come on Jobee, Oxwall has great potential.I am with oxwall from v1.2(If i remember it right) its almost 3 years or so.

How Did I got into oxwall: 

When i came to oxwall, it was still going through its early phase but the moment i used oxwall software I was shocked about its potentinal.See my first website of oxwall picture, I still misses this site.:)

tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 14 '14

Quote from Jobee Bendijo Yeah, I'm basically stuck with Oxwall now (unless someone out there knows if there is a way to export user data and photos for import to another platform)
export in pjpmyadmin is not hard to do export into csv and the get csv editor edit to what the new script needs and import into new databse 

but images are harder 
The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Dec 14 '14
ross Team
ross Dec 14 '14
Guys, there's a General Chat if you want to discuss something, please stop your off-topic posts as it makes harder for other members search for the solutions. 

Jobee, we plan to do that in the nearest future: read my reply here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/29191?page=1#post-125163 Please do the search before posting anything, the forum is full of duplicates, because you don't do the search. 

sdffdh bhb
sdffdh bhb Jul 26 '23
Clear information on return and exchange procedures in case customers are not satisfied with their purchase shoes
Pages: « 1 2