We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

FYI - Softaculous Install Still Faulty | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Joe
Joe Jan 28 '12
I just tried the Softaculous install v1.2.6 on my dev site.

The following folders were set to permissions 001:
ow_pluginfiles
ow_smarty
ow_static
ow_userfiles

Using ftp I could not access or change permissions on the those folders. I removed Oxwall via Softaculous and it left those folders in the directory. I could not delete them using ftp.

Using cpanel >file manager I was able to change permissions and delete those folders.

Just thought maybe the dev team would want to know.

The Forum post is edited by Joe Jan 28 '12
Attachments:
  Screen.jpg (388.2Kb)
Pulkit
Pulkit Jan 29 '12
Hi,

A new version of Softaculous 4.0.2 has been launched today.
We got this bug report a while back and we launched an update asap.
This is there only in version 4.0.1 of Softaculous.
We apologize for this mistake.

You can update your softaculous immediately :
http://www.softaculous.com/docs/Immediate_update

Again we apologize for this mistake and we have taken steps to prevent this next time.

Regards,
Softaculous Team
Michael Leader
Michael Jan 31 '12
if you are doing a new install, build it manually.  you get a better understanding what is happening and it is simple to do.
Joe
Joe Jan 31 '12
Agree. I usually do a manual install. I just wanted to do a quick install in a sub-folder on my dev site to test something when I noticed it. But it looks like Softaculous fixed it.
Michael Leader
Michael Jan 31 '12
Oxwall (and a lot of other sites) are that simple nowadays to build it seems silly to automate it.  :o) 
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 1 '12
Thumbs up to Softaculous team for a prompt action!
Pulkit
Pulkit Feb 1 '12
Hi,

Its might be easy to install Oxwall and any app if you are a techie.
How do you expect a user who doesnt even know what is MySQL to install any PHP app ? Thats why Auto Installers were created :) To automate and simplify stuff sir :)

I agree there was a bug and we just scrambled to get it fixed because thats our job. This bug fix was released on a sunday within 3 hours when I noticed this post while browsing the internet. I just called the Softaculous team to office and we just replaced the VARIABLE which caused the error.

I know there is no excuse for a bug and I apologize for the same. And Joe I would personally like to thank you as well :)

>> Thumbs up to Softaculous team for a prompt action!

Thank you very much for the kind words :)
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 2 '12

Quote from Pulkit Its might be easy to install Oxwall and any app if you are a techie. How do you expect a user who doesnt even know what is MySQL to install any PHP app ? Thats why Auto Installers were created :) To automate and simplify stuff sir :)

I do fully understand the need to keep things simple and if it can be done easily then by all means do.  However,  some people are jumping in running these sites that were automatically created for them without basic knowledge.   If problems occur they are quickly out of their depth and cry for help to fix the simplest of problems.   This can frustrate some people and it may strain the lines of support.
Great to see bugs fixed quickly but to some, just so they know how the stuff works may be better to do it long hand.
Beats getting a "My site broke after updates and I cant see it.  I need it back NOW"
Restore from backup....what?  you didn't?  You don't have any?   oops!
Pulkit
Pulkit Feb 3 '12
@Michael sir.
I do agree there might be some people who dont do much research and use the software. But many people learn after installing new software. I didnt know how to use PHP when I was 16 and I learnt quite a lot after installing PHP. Now, I actually used a readymade WAMP stack. If I didnt use a WAMP stack and tried to install PHP, MYSQL and APACHE individually I probably (a very HIGHLY IMPOSSIBLE PROBABILITY) would have given up. So automation of anything does help. Infact I think Softaculous is like the YUM and APT-GET for the web apps :)
Mark
Mark Feb 5 '12
if someone does not know the basic of running a website, manual FTP etc then they should not be running a website.

its like being an athlete but not knowing how to run.
Pulkit
Pulkit Feb 7 '12
Hi,

Softaculous Installs are a template kind of system. So there should not be any kind of problem with Softaculous.