We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

error screen | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Dominic Walters
Dominic Walters Feb 10 '12
when my new members are signing up they are hitting an error screen, the account is created but they are getting an error for some strange reason

email verification is off as my host has disabled php mail for so-called security reasons
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 10 '12
what does it say in the error screen?  can we have screenshots?
You can configure smtp in oxwall so you shouldn't need phpmail.

If your host is restricting other things maybe move host?
Does it meet all the requirements?
Dominic Walters
Dominic Walters Feb 10 '12
How is best to set up smtp?

use my hotmail account?

or my domain email

what are the settings i need to find?

sorry for all the questions

Dom

ps, i have attached the error screen message
The Forum post is edited by Dominic Walters Feb 10 '12
Attachments:
  Capture.PNG (32.71Kb)
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 10 '12
your hosting solution probably gave you a mail server as well.  COnsider creating an account with that and using it.  Otherwise gmail is better.  You can get smtp details.  However if you have a large member base and your gmail account is sending out LOADS of notifications, it will be treated as a spam service and suspend it temporarily.  Best to use a hosting service that will give you everything you need.  Saying phpmail is insecure is true but only if abused which rest assured they will monitor.  Recommend move to a suitable host.

Your error is linked to phpmail.  The absence of smtp setting sit making the site try to use that.  By all means get a gmail account for testing but do consider my points.