We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Migrating from GODADDY to ARVIXE | Forum

Erlan
Erlan Mar 9 '15

I am in the process of migrating, I created a backup of the sql database and the userfiles in godaddy and successfully restored them in the arvixe new server but I noticed that now my database has a username in the front followed by the original database name, ( which I believe might affect the code and not load right not sure )

also, when I restored the files they restored literarily as they were backed up, meaning they didn't go into the designated folders by itself, I just have a backup_username_date folder in my home directory aside from all the oxwall folders in the home directory, can I get some support on how to get this to work with all the data I had in my old server ? thanks in advanced to everyone

The Forum post is edited by Erlan Mar 9 '15
Erlan
Erlan Mar 9 '15
also, what type of backup of the files should I do, there are like 2 different options, like homedirectory backup, and fullbackup, I did a fullbackup.
The Forum post is edited by Erlan Mar 9 '15
Erlan
Erlan Mar 9 '15

I also noticed that im my old server I had a home/name

and in my new server it has a home/different name ( my websites name)

if I make a backup from godaddy and the backup includes my original name at the end when I try to restore from a backup homedirectory files will it work if there is a different home/name in the new server ?

ross Team
ross Mar 9 '15
Erlan, you said you noticed that now my database has a username in the front followed by the original database name. Where do you see that? please provide screenshot. 

I believe this link would be useful for you: https://docs.oxwall.org/faq:how-to-transfer-my-site-to-another-hosting

Erlan
Erlan Mar 10 '15

define('OW_URL_HOME', 'http://ow/'); //new site URL
define('OW_DB_HOST', 'localhost');         //new database host
define('OW_DB_PORT', null);                //new database port
define('OW_DB_USER', 'root');              //new database user
define('OW_DB_PASSWORD', '1234');          //new database password
define('OW_DB_NAME', 'ow');                //new database name

thanks for the reply ross, I spoke with the arvixe team and they migrated all my files and database to the arvixe servers, so I guess the database name issue is taken care of, I don't know how to explain it is like the arvixe cpanel forces a username_ in front of what ever database you are trying to create or name, taking in account the above information where can I find such information to update that file. I remember godaddy was localhost but for arvixe does it change ? if it does what changes and what stays, I need some help with this. appreciate your support.

Erlan
Erlan Mar 10 '15
I am getting a 404 not found port 80 error as of right now when I try to access the new server with the files in for arvixe.
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 10 '15
define('OW_URL_HOME  is the full url of your site

define('OW_DB_USER
define('OW_DB_PASSWORD         never use the root user and password

define('OW_DB_NAME        is the name of the db

in cpanel go to the db section there you will find the db name

then create a db user   and password  for that db  and give all privileges 
then you will have 
define('OW_DB_USER  and password 

also go phpmyadmin  to view the sql db
and check the prefix if you did not change it on install it should be ow_

Erlan
Erlan Mar 10 '15
the url hasn't changed, the database name and database username are exactly the same as I had in the other server. it has all privileges checked. im having a hard time trying to figure out why the username in the database has a password and the database itself dosnt and in the config file it has a password. if the db was migrated exactly as it was in the old server and all files too then it shouldn't change that part right ? I also noticed that they migrated all my files but I noticed that the softaculous does not have an oxwall installation made. not sure if that affects anything .
ross Team
ross Mar 10 '15
Erlan, make sure you have mod_rewrite enabled on your server and you have htaccess file in the root of the software. 

Also, before importing your old database into new one, you have to create that new database, which is why it has the password and new credentials. 

Have you checked the link I provided to you: https://docs.oxwall.org/faq:how-to-transfer-my-site-to-another-hosting ?

Arvixe QA
Arvixe QA Mar 11 '15
Hi Erlan,

While the files are transferred over as they are on another host, the structure of the database naming can be different. With cPanel we use the username_database name as it allows any database name to then exist. With the GoDaddy structure two people on the server could not have their database name as "oxwall". With Arvixe it would be username_oxwall. Do you have a ticket number that I can reference? It sounds like your user name just needs to be added to the front of the user and the database:

define('OW_URL_HOME', 'http://ow/'); //new site URL
define('OW_DB_HOST', 'localhost');         //new database host
define('OW_DB_PORT', null);                //new database port
define('OW_DB_USER', 'yourname_root');              //new database user
define('OW_DB_PASSWORD', '1234');          //new database password
define('OW_DB_NAME', 'yourname_ow');                //new database name

Thank you!

ross Team