We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Please tell me I'm missing something here......! - Paid Membership | Forum

Randy
Randy Apr 7 '15
When someone subscribes to your site, and you have 2 membership levels, free and then paid, what would you think would happen when someone pays for the 2 level? 

Well, firstly you'd expect they get all the features a paid 2nd tier level member would get. But secondly... would you expect that they still see a subscribe link like they'd not yet done so already? Of course not, yet with this plugin you still do... 

If you have a website with 3 or beyond access levels, you'd think that if a person was a tier level two paid member already, instead the link would say "upgrade" to let them know that they can go even higher... But does the link in the menu say that? No.. it still yet says subscribe.

What happens if a person is all the way up the paid membership ladder... Do they still see the subscribe link in the menu? Yes, they do. 

I'd love to know why this is one of the highest priced plugins, but yet the least thought out. As well, I don't really understand why this kind of work is happening from those that claim to be some of the founders of such an awesome software as Oxwall is? 

A constant subscribe link whether people are subscribed or not is about as tacky and ghetto as it gets.

Please tell me I've missed something here......... I'd love to delete this awful ranting I've done.

Bridgette
Bridgette Jun 9 '16
+1 a year later and still the same. 

Has anyone found a work around? If not, would anyone else be interested in outsourcing some custom coding (splitting cost & benefit) to get this fixed?

thanks,

Bridgette

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jun 10 '16

Randy, you are right, if a user has already upgraded their account to a paid plan and there are no other higher plans, the button should disappear. Unfortunately, we cannot implement this possibility right now. That is the reason why:

Our plugins works with the core Oxwall functionality. Oxwall provides method which allows plugins to add/remove button in the menu and user roles feature we can use to restrict access to the features according to memberships. Unfortunately, there is no possibility to manage buttons accessibility according to the user roles. Buttons can be hidden from/visible to guest or members only. 

We cannot affect the default oxwall behavior until we have methods we can use to make it work the way you suggested. So, first of all Oxwall software should have functionality which will allow to manage the buttons according to the roles, then we will be able to tie it with our plugin. As we've mentioned before, we have plans to add two features:

- Subscribe possibility during the registration process

- Show/hide buttons according the memberships

We've already started working on these features and once Oxwall software gives an opportunity to do that, we will implement them to one of the update. 

Randy, sooner or later this will be implemented, it's just that right now there are more important features to develop in Oxwall software. So, for now all we can do is to be patient and wait for the needed functionality to be implemented into the Oxwall software.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

You do not have permission to reply this topic