We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

developer store update process - please explain how it works | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
dave Leader
dave Apr 10 '15
Hi,   

Can someone (team or other developer) please explain how the plugin update process works via our store account. 

When i have a new version, i change the version number and also the build number in the xml file and then i upload it,  i wait a few min so that the new version zip is active in the store, and then i change it to main and del the old zip. 

However,  

1. How does the update folder within plugin get content?

2. A client received the notify of a new update via oxwall after i uploaded the new zip into the store and made it main,  but it did not give him the new data, what did i do wrong. 

3. How does the client get the current files? 

Can we please come up with some documentation on how this whole update process works or if you have something to share please do. 

thanks dave

Den Team
Den Apr 13 '15
Here is the process:

- once you uploaded an archive with new version, an update server grab it and parse xml for version information. Please note, you should make this archive as a main for your plugin;

- client's site pings update server once a day for plugin's update. As it get it, client will see a notification about update in admin area;

- by performing automatic update from admin area, client will receive a new version

Let me know if something not clear with and I will provide you with more info. 

dave Leader
dave Apr 13 '15
Thanks den, 

so to be clear the update folder in the plugin will be updated by oxwall server?  

I am asking because inside the update folder for other plugins i have noticed there are sub folders inside the update folder.   Those subfolders are created by oxwall update server or by the developer?

Den Team
Den Apr 14 '15
They should be created by developer. Each subfolder could contain update.php file with any update instructions (if necessary), like sql queries. 

You will have to create a new subfolder with new version number in case when your plugin's update requires to execute any sql statements during the plugin's update. 

dave Leader
dave Apr 14 '15
ahhhh ok thanks Den :)