We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

downgrading 1.7.2 messaging | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
mikeg
mikeg Apr 14 '15
Hi All

Firstly , I really would like to thank all the teams for making such an easy cms!
To make something work easy takes a lot of thought and skill.

Im having a real difficulty using oxwall-1.7.2 stable , im on a two forward one back atm.

For the last week iv tried setting up a community site, which will be for mainly cross browser, and mainly mobile users. Iv tried on iphone 5, and android kitkat, and its a no go.

In my case, the messaging plugin , is a fundamental essential.

My frist question is ...  Can I uninstall the oxwall 1.7 mailbox messaging plugin, via phphadmin , fitp, or any way possible.

And instead , install the mailbox standalone plugin that works on the 1.6.0 platform?

My second question

Until the above is resolved, I would be looking at using 1.6 for now.
I tried it an alternative, , and am very satisfied with the messaging functions via the mailbox

I have tried fresh installs of 1.6.0  and after 10 minutes im forced to update the plugins, as soon as I do , I get a 505s , or blank screen on front back ends.

Iv read here about dbug modes, I would rather not take that road, as I will need to be at hand all the time. when updates come along. I cant do a handover to basic users, and expect them to 

Is there any way in the config file or settings that im able to stop the cms from, forcing a plugin db update? 
If I had the option to ignore it, and still configure the plugins , but until I press that dreaded button, i cant work on any other plugin.

If iv got a site that works and isn't broken, why break it?

So in summary , (as I go on!!)

Ideally , I would love to have 1.7.1 Without the combined mailbox chat , and just have the 1.6 mailbox plugin instead

Or

Use oxwall 1.6 and be able to switch off the function that forces the updates. ( im fine with a bit of messy code)

Please could you help, Iv put in about 100 hours, and haven't even got started on any content yet.

Peace Brothers and Sisters
Mike

The Forum post is edited by mikeg Apr 14 '15
dave Leader
dave Apr 14 '15
hi,  this has me noodling over possibilities and this would def be something for a really experienced team member. So dont take what i say here as gold because i could be wrong. 

But taking a stab at this i would say i dont think you can run 1.6 messages on a 1.7+ install, there would be just too many issues. 

The alternative running a 1.6 version and not update might be the answer.  I guess from a coders point of view you could create a php file that runs 1x a min or edit the cron from oxwall and have a mysql query set the plugins update field in the table to 0 to turn off the update. 

Of course this is very dangerous because the reason for updates is to keep current with security requirements, coding requirements, and system requirements.   So basically what your doing is giving your users a nice feature but also possibly exposing them to dangers that might be avoided if on a current version. 

My advise and the better option i believe is the current version and work out the issue you have with the mobile issue.  

I hope that helps. 

mikeg
mikeg Apr 14 '15
Thanks Dave for your help

Iv just tried installing a fresh copy of 1.7.2 , uninstalled the mail and message plugin, and even deleted the folder.
uploaded a the 1.6 plugin, activated , run cron , It appeared on my dash, so  setup some users , cleared cookies etc, logged in as a user , tried messaging a the other user, the
message box appear, so i put a hi and test text in ,and red java box appeared displaying Error
And the send icon just continues to show the progress circle.

So , it looks like using 1.7.1 with the older plugins a no go. Unless theres a way of patching the send script.

Hmm

If there is no go on 1.7.2

then this disabling update option , is my only option, as the newer plugins are a minefield. one wrong update and the lots cooked.

Security wise, if there's valid security exploits, that understandable, but if others are using previous version happily.....

Does anyone have 1.7.2 messaging with a responsive theme, mine is jumping all over ( proximus2  ) 
At least , I have an idea and will carry on, it will be such a shame , but i will have to bite the bullet and go for wordpress or joomla.

I really really like oxwall for the events functionality, but cant keep trying to get it working right. Iv got a bit of a deadline, and havent got off the ground with anything over this issue.

A cms without cross platform messaging in 2015, ( or im missing a fundamental trick)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Im in the uk , so hopefully when the us wakes up , there will more light :)

fingers crossed

Mike
Peace