We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Remove text formatting when pasting? | Forum

Kev
Kev Apr 22 '15
Quick one really guys. Some users have complained that when they paste in text from other sources, that the formatting is maintained. So their text is in different fonts, formats, and sizes. Is there a way to remove font formatting when it is pasted into Oxwall?

Thanks,

Kev

dave Leader
dave Apr 22 '15
+1 Chris
ross Team
ross Apr 23 '15
Chris +1
Kev
Kev Apr 27 '15
I personally use ctrl+shift+v as that will paste the clipboard as plain text. However, many users don't know that shortcut, and many won't want to take the extra step of pasting into notepad first (and they shouldn't have to really). You don't have to do that on Facebook, Twitter, or G+, so why should they have to on Oxwall?

It's all about the user experience, and things like this frustrate people, which affects the user experience unfortunately. Thanks for the feedback anyway gents.
dave Leader
dave Apr 27 '15
remember kev that people post all kinds of stuff in these textareas, php, html, js, server commands, error reports, things they just copy off the net.   Which it all has to be cleaned so if it prevents that stuff from parsing on the page then im all for it. 
The Forum post is edited by dave Apr 27 '15
ross Team
ross Apr 27 '15
You can make a suggestion on uservoice: http://oxwall.uservoice.com/forums/13756-ideas-for-oxwall
Yevhen
Yevhen Oct 26 '16
It's totally useless to vote. I found that we have a lot of amateur community admins which give their votes leading nowhere. You have to listen to professionals, but not amateurs. This amateurs lead Your product to the near end. Checkout the life of all their communities. They are dead! Why? Cause they didn't read any book about community management. Let's see what we have in the top:
- Fully adjustable additional pages (really? The site should be SAME design everywhere)
- Comment time refresh like FB (First we need FB-like newsfeed but not an oxwall timeline)
- Improved Forum Tools ("Today's Posts" and "New Posts (since last visit") (Really? How many forums are still alive in comparison to Social Sites/communities. Our forum is completed! Need to fix few bugs!)
- Create an Advert Plugin (Somebody has 10000 users community with high traffic to self-monetize??? We have one plugin in store! Just rebuild it)
- Have a "reply" button on the comments so it saves you having to keep going on the page you're replying to (oh come on! Where? In time line? Do FB newsfeed instead!)
- Download area
(for viruses? harmful scripts? or nonlegal content? we have law! If I don't want to go to prison for nonlegal content on my site, I will not use this!)
etc...
etc...
etc...

You should create a team which will decide and vote, but not an amateur voice! We should have some forum topic where non-amateurs give advice and prove their advice with books, research information, experience and other information!
As for the topic - this problem is one of the main problems, which makes our communities look amateur!
dave Leader
dave Oct 26 '16
Yevhen, everyone thinks their feature need is top priority and without it makes their communities look amature.  However in the real world this is not the case.  Someone can take the out of the box Oxwall package, add an inexpensive theme, and just a couple of plugins and a social site which is just as good or better than many people have with other scripts. 

There is always work to be done, always ways to improve performance and features but that does not mean that you have to overhaul Oxwall in order to have a great social site, many have proven this fact over the years. 

As to the user voice, i have some ideas about that which i will post when i get caught up from my break, i ask for your patience until i can get back up to speed here. 

Thanks dave :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 26 '16
Yevhen
Yevhen Oct 26 '16
I know! But I had to pass a loooong way for 2 years to understand that I have to go another way. For such a long time I lost over 3000 users and had to start another community with same problems. Only now I understand how to do it right way! It could be great to read it on Oxwall academy blog or Oxwall Expert Advice forum! I could make a great Community 2 years ago and invest in Oxwall by donate and ordering pro services! Hell! Why it came to me now, after so great time??? So there are two ways: rebuild Open Source Community forum and the "core" of Oxwall community to collect such experience, get a great knowledge base and Advice platform or simply do what we do: give amateurs a try until they waste money and time, and close their projects.
dave Leader
dave Oct 26 '16
Every person is different, every project is different, and every mission and expectation is different.  It is not the same for everyone and what you consider a great community is so much different than probably what i consider a great community.  If you have outgrown Oxwall, which does happen, then that is great and very happy for you.   

However, like you said, you learned alot in your journey about what people like and dont like, and experience is the way to build greater communities. 

Just because there may be alot of new users with Oxwall from time to time does not mean that they are all amateurs.  We have some very experienced and educated site owners.