We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

newsfeed video problem | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Umair
Umair Apr 28 '15
I forgot to tell that vimeo is showing a thumbnail, but no video playing in newsfeed.
Umair
Umair Apr 28 '15
I have enabled dev mode. Now what?
dave Leader
dave Apr 28 '15
no she said debug mode, turn dev mode off and turn debug mode on in the same file. 
Umair
Umair Apr 28 '15
one more thing i would like to add is that for dailymotion and clipfish it is generating its logo and not the video thumb
Umair
Umair Apr 28 '15
debug mode on. Now?
dave Leader
dave Apr 28 '15
now you do what you tried to do and see if an error message shows up. 
Umair
Umair Apr 28 '15
What the hell? When I upload a video via video section, everything goes perfect and video shows and plays in newsfeed as well. Not showing any error, but when i logged out, it showed this at the bottom
Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 28 '15
Umair, take a look at this topic: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/27604 .
Umair
Umair Apr 28 '15
It removed the error, but did not solve the issue
The Forum post is edited by Umair Apr 28 '15
Umair
Umair Apr 28 '15
video upload via newsfeed not solved
Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 29 '15
Umair, concerning the video thumbnails, there is a list of video-sharing websites which can generate preview in  Newsfeed. You can see it in the /ow_libraries/oembed/providers.php file. 
As you can see there are no the dailymotion and clipfish websites in this list.  We will review and update this file in future. But not all video-sharing websites have the functionality to generate preview for posted links.
If you would like to see video preview in Newsfeed, you may use the video-sharing websites from the list in the file I've mentioned above.

Concerning the Vimeo thumbnails and the issue with playing it in newsfeed please specify whether you may reproduce this issue on our Demo.
The Forum post is edited by Taissa Apr 29 '15
Umair
Umair Apr 29 '15
Can I change it myself?

Please read it carefully

The problem is that when something is shared in the newsfeed, it does not generate thumbnail and neither video plays in newsfeed, but the interesting part is that when I upload any video link in the "Video page", may it be daily motion or else, it generates thumb, shows in the newsfeed as well as it plays in the newsfeed.

This is strange. Hope you understand me this time. For example, I added a linkedin article, it did import the info, but not the thumb. When I shared only linkedin.com, it generated its intro as well as logo on the newsfeed. Someone must look into it.
The Forum post is edited by Umair Apr 29 '15
Umair
Umair Apr 29 '15
Moreover, I have added few file extensions in user settings, but when I upload it via newsfeed, it says file extension not allowed. For example .tif, .swf etc etc
tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 29 '15
newsfeed not showing thumbs has been reported lots times and it grabbing small icons on share a site link 
Umair
Umair Apr 30 '15
yes it shows logo of the website instead of thumb
Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 30 '15
Umair, first of all, the Video plugin and the Newsfeed plugin are different plugins. So when you upload video via Video page the system use the one method when you add the video link to the Newsfeed the system use the other method. On the Video page you can use only video embed code. This code contains HTML tags. But the Newsfeed not allowed to insert HTML code. So that is why, newsfeed has the core feature called "oembed" for parsing the links content and shows the video preview. As I wrote before each plugin has their own list of allowed video sharing sites. For newsfeed plugin you can find this list in the /ow_libraries/oembed/providers.php file. So if you would like to add more allowed video sharing sites, this is considered as a custom code modification.

So, now please specify the video from what video sharing site you are trying to add in newsfeed.
Concerning the Vimeo thumbnails and the issue with playing it in newsfeed please specify whether you may reproduce this issue on our Demo.
Umair
Umair Apr 30 '15
I have shared few videos on the demo site http://demo.oxwall.org/user/umaira
Taissa Team
Taissa Apr 30 '15
As I can see there is no issue with Youtube and Vimeo videos.  Please check whether other  video sharing sites are listed in providers.php file.
Umair
Umair Apr 30 '15
ok
Umair
Umair Apr 30 '15
you are right. not listed. How can I add? Seems to be different codes for every website.
Pages: « 1 2 3 »