We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cookie EQ Laws- Landing Cookie Page | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Martin Baso
Martin Baso Apr 27 '15
Dear Oxwall team.  EU requires to have a landing page in order comply with the EU privacy law. Otherwise penalties may come....

Is there any workaround how to do it?

Example
  1. The cookie header banner displayed on all pages of a site using cookies that require informed consent.
  2. A link to the specific cookie notice page is also available.
  3. This element of the page will only display its content once the user chooses to accept the site's cookies.

Thanks
Martin

The ePrivacy directive – more specifically Article 5(3) – requires prior informed consent for storage ofor access to information stored on a user's terminal equipment. In other words, you must ask users if they agreeto most cookies and similar technologies (e.g. web beacons, Flash cookies, etc.) before the site starts to use them.

more details in:
http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/cookies/index_en.htm

tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 27 '15
to me the cookie lawa are a big bunch of bs 
a bunch of do gooder trying to make them selfs a job 

if the law was actually real and in place and policable
then sites like
facebook
youtube
ebay
guntree
ans so on down the list would have complied with the law  

dam not even google complies with the law

so to me the law is bs and there just try scare ppl into doing it
as hundreds of thousands big sites are not being made to comply then why should i
wreck my site to comply with something that no one is complying with

if they come out and say your site must comply by blar blar date and i see lots big sites complying then i will    
dave Leader
dave Apr 27 '15
what about the splash screen will that work?

I agree UE has some funky laws, i do stuff for WHMCS too and the profoma stuff and some of the other requirements are just crazy. 

Jordi
Jordi Apr 28 '15
since 11 march the law has changed. you dont need any coockie warnings anymore except for tracking cookies.

so for anylytics or functional coockies you dont need anything. 

http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/...egels-en-richtlijnen

Martin Baso
Martin Baso Apr 28 '15

Hi Dave, the splash screen is nto the best solution, not sure whether it can handle multilanguage cookies descripton.

Also I am not sure whether the splash screen does not hurt SEO. If google want to crawls the site it may not be possible  or am I wrong?

I checked again the EU cookie directive. In these cases the site owner does not need any vistor´s consent if

The ePrivacy directive – more specifically Article 5(3) – requires prior informed consent for storage ofor access to information stored on a user's terminal equipment. In other words, you must ask users if they agreeto most cookies and similar technologies (e.g. web beacons, Flash cookies, etc.) before the site starts to use them.

For consent to be valid, it must be informed, specific, freely givenand must constitute a real indication of the individual's wishes.

However, some cookies are exempt from this requirement. Consent is not required if the cookie is:

• used for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication, and
  • strictly necessary in order for the provider of an information society service explicitly required by the user to provide that service.

Cookies clearly exempt from consent according to the EU advisory body on data protection- WP29 include:

• user‑input cookies (session-id) such as first‑party cookies to keep track of the user's input when filling online forms, shopping carts, etc., for the duration of a session or persistent cookies limited to a few hours in some cases
  • authentication cookies, to identify the user once he has logged in, for the duration of a session
  • user‑centric security cookies, used to detect authentication abuses, for a limited persistent duration
  • multimedia content player cookies, used to store technical data to play back video or audio content, for the duration of a session
  • load‑balancing cookies, for the duration of session
  • user‑interface customisation cookies such as language or font preferences, for the duration of a session (or slightly longer)
  • third‑party social plug‑in content‑sharing cookies, for logged‑in members of a social network.

The question is whether the basic Oxwall release striclty uses these kind of cookies where no consent is needed based ont he law. Please could you kindly clarify ?

Also what happens if I install google analytics plugin, can I expect that this will include cookies for which I need visitor´s consent?

Thanks

Martin

Martin Baso
Martin Baso Apr 28 '15
Unfortunatelly EU laws are as they are.....so we need to be put heads up to clarify this.
Taissa Team
Taissa May 8 '15
Martin Baso, please look at my answer here: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/36098 .
The Forum post is edited by Taissa May 8 '15
kalvindarwan
kalvindarwan Dec 22 '23
Even if this means giving you a lift home to get a spare set of keys, so be it. Minneapolis Mobile Truck Repair
James Walter
James Walter Jan 2
We take pride in our ability to provide fast and efficient service to our customers, no matter the time of day. Gulfport Mobile Truck Repair