We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Need ideas for a free plugin | Forum

dave Leader
dave Apr 29 '15
Hi everyone, im thinking of doing another free plugin and i need some ideas. Something that is useful but not heavy on front end JS or jQuery.  Something that is needed but not overly complicated.  

Please post your ideas and ill see what i can do... Thanks :) 

dave Leader
dave Apr 29 '15
gif uploader?

Horoscopes Page?

MP3 uploader and player?

The Forum post is edited by dave Apr 29 '15
Umair
Umair Apr 30 '15
May be profile cover photo or upload multiple photos with preview in newsfeed. See attached file. Let me know if you can make it work on oxwall. This was developed by a developer for general purpose. I am excited, but unfortunately i am not a dev. I have 2 more codes. One is fb style search bar and second twitter style follow and unfollow. Seems to be a challenge
Attachments:
  preview-and-upload-multiple-files.zip (132Kb)
Umair
Umair Apr 30 '15
I dont know it is heavy or not, but may be a profile views counter or small blocks at the top containing upload photo, create a blog etc etc links with avatar on left side outside the block
Umair
Umair Apr 30 '15
or may be a beautiful looking welcome message popup when user visits a site first time or may be every time
S. Bourdon
S. Bourdon Apr 30 '15
What about a file attachment plugin for Newsfeed?

By default, Oxwall allows users to upload Photos, Videos and Links in Newsfeeds but it's impossible to attach any other filetypes!

It would be great to be able to attach a PDF file (or other files) to a simple user status.  By default, the only way to share an attachment is by using the Forum or the (not free) File Uploads plugin, which is unnecessarily complicated when you only want to share a file... 

Users have been asking for such a plugin for a long time:

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/6690

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/28607

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/32098

Is this something you could look into?

Thank you very much!  Hope to hear from you soon!  ;)

dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '15
Sure S. Bourdon i can look into it, thanks for sharing.. 
Jason
Jason Apr 30 '15
Most useful plugin imaginable
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/35960?page=1#post-145841

I have seen this thing bring 7000 new users to a site in less than 2 weeks. KILLER!!
Jason
Jason Apr 30 '15
other ideas
1. add option to custom Text/HTML widget setup to customize which pages the widget appears on. IE OPTIONS: (page not shown) or (pages shown). So if I only want a widget to show on a specific page I can or if I only want to block it on a specific page I can.
It gets annoying having the join now sidebar widget show up on the join page.

2. block specific url from newsfeed plugin would be useful. Especially since badword filter plugin doesn't stop urls from being posted and parsed by the newsfeed.
The Forum post is edited by Jason Apr 30 '15
dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '15
thanks for the suggestions :) keep them coming
dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '15
lots of suggestions here and also alot by PM, all are doable, some for free some not.  So none of them are discounted at the moment over the long term.  However for this request i will have the final 4 requests by later tonight and you all can vote on them and we will come up with a winner for now.  

So keep the ideas coming final 4 is not made yet.  :)

Jason
Jason Apr 30 '15
how about a banner ad system that allows leader board sized ads to be responsive?

Jason
Jason Apr 30 '15
a user tracker/graph that can go on the profile page so users can track anything from bmi on a fitness site, to miles driven on motorist sites etc.. basically a customizable user graph for the profiles that tracks input over time.
dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '15
Jason good ideas but way too much js and Jquery for me, besides that last one is way too much coding for a free plugin.   

Remember folks i have to stick with my strong points, php and html. Thats why i love to do utilities as they are all mostly backend coding.   Front end social media connection type plugins involve alot of js or jQuery usually and those are not my strong points.  

Now the only thing that i have done jQuery wise is a slide captcha where you have to slide the slider over until the correct answer shows up.  I would be willing to add that one for free im sure i could integrate that into Oxwall. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Apr 30 '15
dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '15
but i do have a question since someone in PM voted for the MP3 uploader which is part of the final 4 items.    If i do this one for free can i include preloaded music or is that a violation of the the music laws even though its for free?  Im not sure where the music laws are now i know there was a big deal about that at one time. 
The Forum post is edited by dave Apr 30 '15
dave Leader
dave Apr 30 '15
here is what we have for the final so far, its more than 4 but i thought maybe i could do two of the more simple ones instead of just one.  Also some of these are mine but i recently got other interest so im including them as well. Also all (every single one) of the suggestions was great and i appreciate it so much. 

However some of them were sooooo close to what other plugins do that i felt it either would not be needed globally or that it would seem i was unethically doing what someone else did, or it was just too much to do with js and Jquery or it was a big job and could not do it for free. So thats why they are not on here. 

OK so it looks like we need to choose from the following. 

GIF uploader - since Oxwall does not support GIF uploads. 

MP3 player/uploader - no music included in pack

CamComChat integration - to replace the current instant messenger - this looks easy enough so im willing to try it if voted on.  No guarentees, and youll have to edit your mailbox plugin to turn off messenger i believe. 

Invitation url like  xxxxx.com/name that you can share with others.  Although similar to some of the plugins already there is enough difference here that i think it could stand on its own.  

So thats what has made the list so far. 

S. Bourdon
S. Bourdon May 1 '15
Hello Dave,

I vote for the GIF Uploader plugin!

By the way, do you think this plugin could allow other file types?  While GIF images would be displayed in messages (like JPGs), other file types could simply appear as attachments (as it does on the Forums)?

What do you think?

Thank you very much!  :)

dave Leader
dave May 1 '15
ok seems like the gif uploader is the winner this time around, the others will be included again next time i do this ok.. 

Bourdon i will see what i can do about giving you your pdf's as well :)   

So ill have that done asap and then im on to a bigger paid project that i just got.  

thanks for the engagement folks :) 

Jason
Jason May 1 '15
Thanks, Dave! I will look forward to it.

Anyone want to do this? (we don't have enough control over what pages widgets show up on)

1. add option to custom Text/HTML widget setup to customize which pages the widget appears on. IE OPTIONS: (page not shown) or (pages shown). So if I only want a widget to show on a specific page I can or if I only want to block it on a specific page I can.
It gets annoying having the join now sidebar widget show up on the join page.
Abbey
Abbey May 2 '15
I really think the membership/roles plugin needs enhancement, the little text in the corner of the pics just isn't enough, I think maybe a colored border or a badge for the users page would make purchasing memberships more enticing... I'd be happy to pay for something like this
Pages: 1 2 3 »
This topic is locked