We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

User Tagging like in Twitter | Forum

Daniel Prado
Daniel Prado Apr 30 '15
Hi guys,

I was able to develop a solution for users tagging that will work in all oxwall versions.

As it is not a proper plugin I think I can not sell it in the store and it will need you to copy files directly through FTP to your oxwall folder.

This is what my solution does:

- You can tag any user by writing @username as in twitter.

- Once user is tagged a Notification will be sent to user

- Usernames now are showing in members area as well as in member profile

- Also modified SearchPlus plugin to show username so if you already own this plugin you can use it to search for members.

This solution is only working on comments, so if you want to tag someone in a photo you will need to comment this photo using @username.

I attached some screenshots for you to see.

I am planning to sell this solution for 15$ for anyone that is interested.

It is a very low price for the hard work I did :D

Please leave any feedback of what you think.

Attachments:
  Tagging.jpg (56Kb)
  members.jpg (56Kb)
  notifications.jpg (30Kb)
  searchplus.jpg (19Kb)
  Tagged.jpg (60Kb)
Musik
Musik May 1 '15
Daniel, that's great! A question: How is this different from the current Newsfeed Trends Twitter Style plugin?
Daniel Prado
Daniel Prado May 2 '15
Hi,

I was wondering also to buy this plugin before starting doing it by myself and after reading feedback I decided to do it on my own.

My code is only working on comments, that means that you can only tag people on comments, but comments are present in everywhere and, to be honest, 15$ is a cheap price for a try.

By the way I wanted some feedback if you guys will pay for this kind of modifications that as I said is not a plugin.

Thanks for comment.

dave Leader
dave May 3 '15
Oxwall does not recommend uploading any external files to the core for this purpose unless it has been approved by the team for the store.  You are warned to use at your own risk, you will certainly have no recourse at all for payment and you will not have any dev support. 

Again this is not sanctioned by Oxwall.  

@daniel   im sure you mean well but if you can do this you can make a plugin, it is not that hard.  The crash course makes it easier 

https://docs.oxwall.org/dev:crash-course

and so does the skelton plugin in the store, it is about building plugins. 

please do this the ethical way and go thru the process of making a plugin, you will learn and you will be happy and proud of your work and make sales. 

Daniel Prado
Daniel Prado May 4 '15
Hi Dave,

I am sure that make a plugin is not too hard, but I have not the time to do it, I only made the code for this stuff and don't want to mess too much by making a plugin. To be honest I haven't took a look on it and if I have the time I will do it for sure.

In the meantime people can have my code and tag users in comments if they want, this is working perfectly in my site, I have a test site running in 1.7.2 and a prod site running in 1.7.0 .

dave Leader
dave May 4 '15
Understood, your first plugin is the hardest and its not that bad, once you get the concept.  Took me 4 days to do my first one, then i did 2 in one day lol   So its easier than you think. 

As far as posting that here, you are welcome to post the code for free by attaching a zip file, you are welcome to tell people how to do so meaning how to do what you did by explanation.  But we really do frown on asking for money for something that should be in the store and moreover should be reviewed by the team first before it ever gets put on the users machine. This is especially true if you are on the Oxwall forum asking for money and doing such.  

I too have done what you did and that is how i learned its not protocol. So i been where you are at now :)

So we hope you use Oxwall, we hope you love Oxwall, and we hope you will learn to do Oxwall plugins and keep using Oxwall as well as supporting Oxwall.  Just please don't ask for money without following protocol.   

If you want to do it for free then by all means attach the zip file and let people have it, they will still use it at their own risk but there is no financial risk also attached.  We are just trying to protect our users, all of our users including you from unnecessary exposure.  

Daniel Prado
Daniel Prado May 4 '15
Ok, Got it Dave, Thanks for it.

Any advice to modify comments in a plugin, as it is a base feature I am not sure how to get the code you write on them from a plugin.

Thanks again.

Den Team
Den May 4 '15
Topic was moved from Oxwall Store.