We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

About NewsFeed showing to guest users | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Johnny
Johnny May 3 '15
I know this has been covered before but it's now becoming an issue on my site which includes adult content.

I have a splash page warning of adult content, but my users would like newsfeeds to be seen only by their friends, not at all or to everyone, definitely not to guests.

I had hoped this would have been fixed in the latest release, alas it was overlooked.

At present I have disabled the newsfeed plugin so no one gets to see it. BTW Safari has problems with Oxwall, the newsfeeds don't display at all.

Admittedly I am looking at purchasing another social package from the competition.

ross Team
ross May 3 '15
Johny, which newsfeed you want to hide from guests: profile or index page newsfeed?

As to the safari issue, what is the version of the safari browser you're using?

Johnny
Johnny May 4 '15

Quote from ross Johny, which newsfeed you want to hide from guests: profile or index page newsfeed?

As to the safari issue, what is the version of the safari browser you're using?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Well, the page guests see. It seems they see all newsfeeds between users, they would like that to be private or at least not shown to guests. After the splash screen they are taken to the 'main' page.

Safari version is Version 8.0.5 (10600.5.17) on MacAir Yosemite and not sure about the version on iPad but chat doesn't work.

ross Team
ross May 5 '15
Johny to hide the index page newsfeed from quest

1. go here: www.yoursite.com/index/customize

2. click on the newsfeed gear icon in the right upper corner

3. click on the restrict view check box then unclick Guest option in Visible for user roles

3. save

if you want to hide profile newsfeed from guests

1. Go here: www.yoursite.com/profile/privacy

2. locate view my profile newsfeed option

3. in the dropdown menu choose my friends option

4. save

As to the Safari issue with the newsfeed, we have tested on our side and we cannot reproduce the issue,see attachment,  can you please share your URL, so we could check on your website. 

The Forum post is edited by ross May 5 '15
Attachments:
  imgo.jpg (120Kb)
Johnny
Johnny May 6 '15
Thanks Ross :) that's exactly what I wanted.

Are these, and other features, documented anywhere?

I couldn't find these customisation options on the Admin Dashboard.

Also, I notice there is a 'Finance' tab in Dashboard, but no way to actually turn users into paying users.

Thanks again :)
ross Team
ross May 6 '15
Topic was moved from Bug reports and troubleshooting.
JoshWho
JoshWho May 6 '15
That chat doesn't work on it because it is flash. if chat was html5 it wouldn't be a issue on mobile devices. I'm still kinda wondering why it hasn't been implemented yet. I currently have a html5 chat with video calling support on my site and it works with no problem with android or iphone. 
Jan
Jan May 7 '15
Hi JoshWho,

Wich pluni do you use as html5 chat?

Taissa Team
Taissa May 8 '15
Johnny, in the Store you can find some plugin for monetisation.
For example:
- User Credits plugin http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/53
- Paid Membership plugin http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/35

And if you sell something on your site (like memberships or user credits), this tab will show the list of transactions.