We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to prevent Oxwall Powered Sites from hacking? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Frank Z
Frank Z May 17 '15
As a newbie to server security, I would like to ask, besides keep your server information secrete (of course), what else can we do or what else do Oxwall developers suggest for oxwall based sites' security?

I think this is a good question for both site owners who have large amount of users and some beginner of Oxwall.

Taissa Team
Taissa May 21 '15
Frank Zhang, if we are talking about the Oxwall software security then I can say that our passwords are hashed using SALT. It represents the SHA-256 hash of the static OF STATIC SALT pepper concatenated with the user's password. That means that there is no way to decrypt something that has been encrypted with it.
To prevent an SQL injection all user input content are validating by using special functionalities on a mandatory basis.

If you want more security on your website you may use the SSL certificate but you will need to do it on your own.
Also for greater security, I advising you to periodically change your FTP and cPanel admin passwords.
yaser alimardany
yaser alimardany Oct 26 '15
Hi,

I want to know about oxwall input validator for preventing sql injection? Which function you used in your code?

Taissa Team
Taissa Nov 2 '15
Yaser, we use PDO positional placeholders to secure all SQL query parameters. You can find an example in this function:
public function updateStatusByBundle( $pluginKey, $bundle, $status )
   {
       $query = "UPDATE `" . $this->getTableName() . "` SET `" . self::STATUS . "` = :status WHERE `".self::PLUGIN_KEY."` = :pk AND `" . self::BUNDLE . "` = :bundle";
       $this->dbo->query($query, array('status' => $status, 'bundle' => $bundle, 'pk' => $pluginKey));
   }
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 2 '15
one huge problem is oxwall does not work with mod security 
ross Team
ross Nov 4 '15
Yes, this is our hosting server requirement http://www.oxwall.org/hosting
Michele
Michele Nov 6 '15
"That means that there is no way to decrypt something that has been encrypted with it."

Sorry, I understand this very little,... does this mean it doesn't mater if they have letter/ # combos or an uppercase/ lowercase password..... that the security is "so good" that even if it's a 4 letter password, robots won't be able to guess?
ross Team
ross Nov 8 '15
If you want your account to be safe why you set 4 letter password for your account
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost Apr 18 '16

Quote from Tammy one huge problem is oxwall does not work with mod security 
i agree a huge problem for sort out invalid submissions that can take totally control of you website
yaser alimardany
yaser alimardany May 7 '16
I wrote an plugin for preventing CSRF attack. Our portal will be run 1 month later. You can use our plugin to prevent specific attacks like CSRF.

Also I wrote a plugin for managing privacy of posts of user per post.
OW-Ghost
OW-Ghost May 7 '16

Quote from yaser alimardany I wrote an plugin for preventing CSRF attack. Our portal will be run 1 month later. You can use our plugin to prevent specific attacks like CSRF.

Also I wrote a plugin for managing privacy of posts of user per post.
can you sell that 2 plugins at oxwall store?
dave Leader
dave May 7 '16
Yes it must be thru the store, never buy anything unless its thru the store, thats one way you can get hacked.