We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Moderation based on role? - Premoderation | Forum

matt
matt Jun 5 '15
Hi,

Can this plugin do moderation based on role?

For eg.

Users in the 'Free' role have their content moderated.

Users in the 'Paid' role do not have their content moderated.

Thanks,
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jun 7 '15
Matt, this requires a complex code modification. 
matt
matt Jun 7 '15
Sure, I understand that. But for moderation for sites using roles, and paid membership etc. It seems a natural way forward for a moderation plugin.

I don't mind paying premium costs, for plugins that make moderating of a busy site possible.

Mods don't need to moderate trusted members, or other moderators - so role based moderation seems much needed.
The Forum post is edited by matt Jun 7 '15
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jun 7 '15
Matt, your request is quite individual - this is not the general way the moderation is used for.  The main purpose of the site moderation is preventing the site users from posting  adult, illegal and other inappropriate content. How can you be sure that the paid member won't start post illegal content once they upgrade their account, even by mistake?
matt
matt Jun 7 '15
Your comment seems erroneous, and a misunderstanding of online community moderation. If a trusted member posts something mistaken, then a mod will deal with the issue individually and  have a word via pm.

With roles, new members need to prove themselves, or indeed pay, and agree to the sites terms and conditions. Pre-moderation of roles, until mods become satisfied that they are respected sites members, or in breach of T&C.

Quite why you think this is and individual request, when it is, and has been, standard moderation policy and also behavior of others system tools for over 2 decades of online community, leaves me astonished :/
The Forum post is edited by matt Jun 7 '15
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jun 10 '15

Matt, you are right, we are considering the situation in terms of membership levels. i.e. roles are the membership types base and is used as the separator for the site access. 

As far as I've understood from your last reply you are talking about something like Oxwall leaders (Oxwall users role). In other words, if Oxwall forum had been configured so forum topics and posts should be moderated before publishing -  it would be logically not to moderate the topics and post of Oxwall leaders. Am I right? If so, your suggestion sounds quite essential. I will forward your request to developers, they will see what can be done here.

Thank you for the idea.

P.S. If I took you wrong again - could you please provide me with the examples of the way you want it to work.

matt
matt Jun 10 '15
No problem,

It seems like I have managed to explain myself. Having the option to have role based re-moderation equips site owners and moderators to be able to manage their communities effectively, without overburdening them with moderating tasks. This means the everyone can enjoy their community experience that bit more.

Kindest,

Matt
The Forum post is edited by matt Jun 10 '15
Sypa CC (Creative Fertile)
matt is right. This mod just does half of its job. It is not necessary to moderate the actions of every user group. I just need premoderation for new users. Please add this function to your plugin.
matt
matt Jun 22 '15
As well... In some scripts, the ability to put an individual user, onto a moderation mode; Stands as a very useful feature that moderators utilise to keep the community happy.
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Jun 22 '15
Guys, thank you for your suggestions. I've forwarded them to our product designers.
Tecca
Tecca Nov 22 '15
Matt is completely right, I agree with his take on it. It's the correct way to move forward with large websites, as the larger you become, the more workload your moderators are going to have. Moderating content from people you trust just takes time you don't need to take. The flag function can be used if they decide to stray from the rules.

Also, for sites that employ Premium memberships, it's very unlikely for a paid member to post things you don't want them to, as they don't want to lose their membership.

I understand you've already considered these suggestions, but I'm posting here to say I'm interested and willing to purchase this plugin if it has per-role feature. I like that you're able to select specific plugins and features like blogs/avatars -- that's also a great feature which you've already implemented. Now it just needs to be completed.

The Forum post is edited by Tecca Nov 22 '15
Anitaku
Anitaku Jan 18 '16

Quote from Bryan Matt is completely right, I agree with his take on it. It's the correct way to move forward with large websites, as the larger you become, the more workload your moderators are going to have. Moderating content from people you trust just takes time you don't need to take. The flag function can be used if they decide to stray from the rules.

Also, for sites that employ Premium memberships, it's very unlikely for a paid member to post things you don't want them to, as they don't want to lose their membership.

I understand you've already considered these suggestions, but I'm posting here to say I'm interested and willing to purchase this plugin if it has per-role feature. I like that you're able to select specific plugins and features like blogs/avatars -- that's also a great feature which you've already implemented. Now it just needs to be completed.

Completely agree with Bryan and of coarse Matt. Also expressing my interest. 
Unus
Unus Feb 28 '16
100% agree with Bryan and Matt on their requests.

how's the progress on this matter? any light at the end of the tunnel? are we going to have an updated full moderation plugin anytime soon?

thank you

Unus

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Mar 2 '16
Yes, we have plans to develop the possibility for the Premoderation plugin  to work with the User Roles in one of the upcoming update. But, we don't have any details or time estimate to share for now.
Anitaku
Anitaku May 21 '16
still interested in this. Any news on the changes? :)
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC May 25 '16
Sorry, but still have no any details.
Tom Carlyle
Tom Carlyle Nov 27 '16
It has been quite awhile since this issue was raised, has it user role based moderation been implemented yet?  If so I'd buy it, otherwise not.
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Nov 30 '16
No, the feature was not implemented yet, but if you want we can develop it as a custom modification for you. Please contact our Sales operators through sales@oxwall.com for more information.
Bruce Tran
Bruce Tran May 13 '17
Premoderation base on user role is an excellent feature. I was going to buy it, but now I'm hesitating.
Marius
Marius Apr 3 '18
The plugin has been updated on user role?
You do not have permission to reply this topic