We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Categories for groups? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Jun 15 '15
I'd like to create categories for groups and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a plugin for this or how complicated it might be? I didn't see any options in the store but may have overlooked something. Don't want to hire a developer if they are going to charge hundreds of $$. Will just buy a different script.

Thanks!
Taissa Team
Taissa Jun 16 '15
Eliz, this requires quite complex modification within the plugins functionality. Unfortunately we can't provide step-by-step instructions on how to achieve the required technical effect. As far as I know the Events plugin which supports categories has already been developed: http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/705 . You can contact this plugin developer for the assistance.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Jun 16 '15
Thanks. There are many things about Oxwall that make it a great script but there are also some basic elements that are surprisingly missing. Categories for groups is one - how can you have a bunch of groups with no way to organize them? The search box is another. A community with no way to search its members or content? And no cover image options? These seem to be standard elements for a social network but while Oxwall is free, the plugins (those that are available) needed to provide these features are $20-30 each. So in order to get basic functions equal to premium scripts, you will have to pay for them. I don't even mind having to pay some money to develop a good SN, but my concern is too often the plugin developers abandon them and they become incompatible with the latest update.

So I'm having to factor all this in and decide whether it's better just to invest in a different script, even if it's $500.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Possibly I can change Events to Directory and have people manually submit their groups and pages.
matt
matt Jun 16 '15
We really need a plugin that provides for group owner management, and muliple group owners too :)

Groups has some interesting and usefull plugins for it, but seems the most underdeveloped core module, as far as I can see.

The Forum post is edited by matt Jun 16 '15