We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

high cron Virtual Memory Size | Forum

tammy harris
tammy harris Jun 30 '15
t deactivated all plugins 
and cron is use heaps of memory
i get this error on every cron run 

Resource: Virtual Memory

SizeExceeded: 1896 > 100 (MB) 

Executable: /home/virtfs/  usr/local/bin/php 

Command Line: /usr/local/bin/php      public_html/ow_cron/run.php

PID: 24362 (Parent PID:24361)

Killed: No 

in whm firewall its set to 100 default i can change it to max 600 but its use 1896, its not being killed so cron is still running 

why is there only one cron run command other scripts use 3 or more to break it down

i am use php mailer, it will be adding lots to it  as smtp has stop working 

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Jun 30 '15
ross Team
ross Jul 2 '15
can you please go to the ow_base_cron_jobs table and make screenshots of the two pages to see what parts of the software runs the cron?
tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 4 '15
no worries when i get time il deactive all plugins that use cron

tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 4 '15
i have deactivated all plugins that use cron and waited 2 hours 
ow_base_cron_jobs
i have 6 pages 
attached is 2 screen shots and the error emails still coming every minute
Attachments:
  3.PNG (44Kb)
  1.PNG (121Kb)
  2.PNG (156Kb)
ross Team
ross Jul 6 '15
Tammy, the fact that PID is not killed has nothing to do with the software, Yes, the cron runs every minute, because you set the crontab software to run the cron with such frequency, which is why it is related to the crontab utility installed on the server and it's configuration, you need to contact your hosting provider to resolve this issue
tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 6 '15
yes it not killing it the cron is running 
the problem is cron is use  over 20 x  more memory on its run then default setting allow

i can raise it to 600   max  in settings  but thats still only 1/4 of what the cron is use 
ross Team
ross Jul 7 '15
Tammy, can you please disable all plugins you have and see if you still get those e-mails?

We suspect that these are old e-mails, if you disable the plugins and still get the e-mails, you need to run cron command in ssh, there might be some error that you don't see. 

Also do you have any errors in your ow_cron/error-logs file?

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 7 '15
tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 7 '15
i tryed disable all 3rd party plugins 
tomorrow if i get time il try all plugins

cron run is use

/usr/local/bin/php /home/xxxx/public_html/ow_cron/run.ph

cron error and error logs show nothing 

ross Team
ross Jul 7 '15
not just 3rd party plugins, all plugins even default ones, keep us updated
tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 8 '15
i tryed deactivate all plugin but still got the errors , it did seams to be a lot less 

its seams to go in cycles so im thinking il wait for a period of when im not getting the errors 
and try send a mass mail 
as im leaning towards it being php mailer being the problem 
if it is il then have wait for a period of when im not have aholes trying to force there way into the server to turn firewall off connect to smtp and resend a mass mail 

ross Team
ross Jul 8 '15
What do you mean by errors? I thought we're handling the issue with the exceeded memory and the e-mail your get every minute. 

If you still get the e-mail with all plugins disabled seems like these are old e-mails and they are in the queue and they are continuously sent without any apparent reason. 

Have you tried to delete the cron job and see if you still get those e-mails?

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 8 '15
tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 9 '15
yes turn cron off and error emails stop 
by error i mean the error emails
i have flushed the mail cue in whm 
ross Team
ross Jul 13 '15
Tammy, when you deactivate all plugins you said you still get the e-mail, that means, that there's no plugin uses cron at that time but you still get the e-mails which implies that there's some queue of those old e-mails on the mail server which is why there cpu goes high, contact your hosting provider and request to shed some light on the matter. 
tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 13 '15
hosting has looked and confirmed that i have flushed all mail cues 

i could not test it fully with deactivate all plugins  as the script was still send lots mails by php mailer 
now that smtp is working i think by deactivate plugins il find the problem 

in few days il test it again and let you know what i find 
ross Team
ross Jul 13 '15
alright, keep us updated