We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Mass Mail Issue | Forum

ross Team
ross Jul 30 '15
Bobby, try to use 3rd party SMTP, like gmail, see if it works well in comparison to your SMTP
totao
totao Aug 2 '15
Hi Bobby,

For cron issue test, you can try easycron.com .

Bob Brown
Bob Brown Aug 3 '15
Hello Totao,

Our site is sending out like verification emails, and password forgot emails so it's not a cron issue, that has been determined as our cloud server cron is working just fine as we have many other programs that use the cron job as well. However it's an issue within itself for sending out mass emails. For some reason I cannot figure this out.

Kind Regards,

Bobby.
Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 5 '15
Bobby, let me explain first how the Mass Mailing works.

- You compose a message via Admin Area > Users > Mass Mailing;
- The letters are sent to the database: ow_mail table;
- Cron runs every 5 minutes and sends 50 letters per running;
- Letters are sent to the mail server queue;
- The mail server sends these letters by turn to the mail client server (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)
- The mail client server sends the letter to the recipient's INBOX/SPAM (depending on the spam filter).

This works for Mass Mailing, Invitation and Activity Notifications features.

If we are talking about such letters like Email Verification, Welcome, etc. - these letters are sent directly to the mail server omitting the cron run. So, they do not depend on the cron.

In case you enable SMTP - all letters from the site will be sent by cron through the ow_mail table.

As you said - you successfully receive the Email Verification, Welcome, etc. letters - this means that the mail server works correctly and your IP/domain is not marked as SPAM distributor by the mail client servers.

Thus, we can suppose that this is the inner problem caused by cron or some problems with the queries execution.

Now, let's try to debug the problem. Here are several steps you need to perform:

1. Checking the cron.

- Disable SMTP feature;
- Go to phpMyAdmin > ow_mail table;
- Check if this table is empty:
-- In case there are no rows - this means the cron runs;
-- In case there are a lot of rows - this means the cron does not run or some errors occurs while the cron running:

a) cron does not run

You need to log  into your server through SSH and run the following commands:
- service cron status (this command shows if the cron is running or not)
- crontab -l (this command shows if there are cron commands configured) you should see the command you've provided in the post above:

wget -q -O /dev/null http://www.cprworldwidemedia.net/cprradio/ow_cron/run.php

you need to copy the URL and open it via browser. Please make sure that URL is correct. When we opened it or this URL: http://www.cprworldwidemedia.net/ow_cron/run.php - we received the 404 Not Found page.

Please, also, make sure that the run.php file exists.

To be sure that cron will work correctly we suggest that you configure it locally, but not through wget. To do so, you need to follow these instructions: https://docs.oxwall.org/install:cron#run-cron-locally

After you configured the cron, the number of rows in the ow_mail table should be reduced.

b) some errors occurs while the cron running

You need to go to ow_log/ folder through FTP and check if the cron_error.log file exists. If so, you need to open it and check into all errors logged in this file. You should eliminate all these errors.

2. Checking queries execution problem.

If none of these solutions helped, you need to check if there are some loops or queries issues.

- Go to phpMyAdmin > ow_mail table;
- Truncate this table;
- Go to your site Admin Area;
- Create a new role: mail test;
- Give this role to your test account;
- Go to Admin Area > Users > Mass Mailing section;
- Select the mail test role (Total number should show 1 member);
- Compose the letter and click Send;
- Go back to phpMyAdmin > ow_mail table to check if the letter arrived;
- Wait for 5-10 minutes;
- Refresh the table;
-- In case the cron runs correctly and there are no any errors or problems with the queries execution, the letter should disappear from the table;
-- In case the letter will still show up after 10 minutes, this means something wrong with the cron and you should debug it once again using the instruction provided above.

Please perform all these steps and then get back to us with the results.
Bob Brown
Bob Brown Aug 12 '15
Hello,

Ok I however finally got the cron to run on cprworldwidemedia.com and it sent out emails but haven't sent a second set yet to see if it actually works. However I done the same thing to my gymradio.org and sent out mass mail and stuff is still setting there. When I run the cron it says that cron 1 is active. Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Bobby B.
Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 13 '15
Bobby, what do you mean by 'When I run the cron'? Do you run it manually through a custom interface provided by your cPanel or through SSH? seems this is how your server works and it would be better if you ask this question to your hosting provider support department.

The main idea of our instructions is that if the number of mails in the ow_base_mail table is reduced or this table becomes empty after some time - this means the cron is running.
Bob Brown
Bob Brown Aug 13 '15
Hello,

Ive done the manual option through ssh then set it up threw the scheduler using the lynx command. I also have the cron plugin which shows 1 active cron when I run the test. But it seems to me that the emails are not flushing out of the system. As hints when I first done the ssh command it sent all the back emails out, however when I sent another load of 6 or so emalis they didn't flush out. Let me try the above steps to see how it go's but theres something up. Daisy, I am the provider, we have our own cloud servers. :P
Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 13 '15
Bobby, we understand that it says the cron is running, but does it lead to the rows reducing in the ow_base_mail table? Do you receive the letters?

Please perform all steps I've described above and leave comment on each step. We need all information on what happens when you, let's say, perform steps of the 'Checking the cron' point and other points we've provided above.

We need you to perform these troubleshooting steps and provide us information. The more details you've provide the more effective our assistance will be.
Bob Brown
Bob Brown Aug 19 '15
Hello,

I've tried all the steps above and still no execution. I have attached some photos to show what I have done. Keep in mind I am using Linux Debian 7 with Plesk panel. Below is that attached photos.

Regards,

Bobby. 

Bob Brown
Bob Brown Aug 28 '15
Hello,

Some how I got my cron working on one of my oxwall sites by doing the local option but ssh/remote app is added on under the domain and the other is not. But I logged in via ssh and done the same thing to the other site. But seems to always only run one cron and then stops. As the other runs multiple crons. Any reason of cause to this?

Regards,

Bobby

ross Team
ross Sep 1 '15
MIchael what you see when your run this command:  service cron status (this command shows if the cron is running or not) for the site where cron does not work. 
Pages: « 1 2