We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cloud or VPS? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Joseph
Joseph Apr 21 '12
so I think the title explains this but here's the question would you recommend a vps or a cloud host for a oxwall site nearing 10 thousand users I already come close to crashing my vps as is and if I install nginx the company will not offer tech support and I am not very skilled at installing nginx myself in fact I have never done it but I need to save money while getting quality 
Mark
Mark Apr 21 '12
what is your current guaranteed ram?

whats your connections limit set at?

how optimized is your vps?

Im currently on 3.5k members and receiving about 10k unique visitors a month and my load average for the last week has been 0.4, i have an average of 1.3gb of ram in use (2gb guaranteed) most of which is used for mysql cache.

by optimizing my vps, mysql, php and apache ive got running processes from 90 to about 65 which has made a big difference.

I just ran one of your sites through the gmetrix web speed test and the results are here > http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.wickednation.net/KNhRaa7H

Joseph
Joseph Apr 22 '12
yeah I need to talk with some sort of consultant cause I am sort of lost when it comes to a VPS I have 2 gigs of ram at all times but here is the issue 

Server load 3.53 (4 CPUs)Memory Used 32.03% (658,760 of 2,056,688)Swap Used 30.52% (625,128 of 2,048,276)
I only have 11 users logged in so this is extremely high for this imagine how it looks when we have 50 online and we used to until the server started crashing from the load now we are going so down hill

Joseph
Joseph Apr 22 '12
well how do you have your gzip setup I read up on it do i just enter my info into the htaccess file? and if so are there any special notes for oxwall
Mark
Mark Apr 22 '12
Quote from Joseph

Server load 3.53 (4 CPUs)Memory Used 32.03% (658,760 of 2,056,688)Swap Used 30.52% (625,128 of 2,048,276)

I had the exact same issue when using arrowchat, server load jumps from below 1 to around 3 at all times, its the same reason i decided not to use it anymore.

for the gzip stuff to work you need to have either mod_gzip or mod_deflate compiled into apache at build, then you add code to either .htacess or httpd.conf files.

is the 2gb guaranteed ram or burstable?

Joseph
Joseph Apr 23 '12
its just 2 gigs does not say if its burst so i assume its guaranteed and I do have gzip compiled it came with my vps however my htaccess is not set would you mind sharing that configuration with me? and yes soon the arrowchat will be better as they now offer push server support on the latest release however its not yet in oxwall store so until then you would have to purchase the regular arrowchat from their site
Mark
Mark Apr 23 '12
chances are that is 2gb burstable ram, my is 2gb guaranteed and 4gb burst and my memory always says that i have 4gb available, what host are you with?

Mark
Mark Apr 23 '12
nevermind noticed your with arvixe (did a traceroute). if you on the higher vpa package ($70) then its 2gb guaranteed, whats your /etc/my.cnf currently contain?
Joseph
Joseph Apr 23 '12
this file does not exist in any of my directories including the etc directory
Mark
Mark Apr 24 '12
there must be a mysql configuration file somewhere
Joseph
Joseph Apr 24 '12
its not in my regular files i ill search deeper I am in ssh tonight so i will find it
Joseph
Joseph Apr 24 '12
ok found it and it says 

tmpdir=/dev/shmmax_connections = 300max_allowed_packet = 150Mquery_cache_size = 40Mjoin_buffer_size = 15Mtmp_table_size = 64Mmax_heap_table_size = 64Mthread_cache_size = 5table_cache = 400innodb_buffer_pool_size = 350Mkey_buffer_size = 1000Mlocal-infile=0

Mark
Mark Apr 25 '12
based on your current mysql settings, your server would crash before it ever hits it limit. You allow a maximum of 300 connections, however to achieve 300 connections with your current settings you would need around 10-20x the amount of ram that you currently have.

You also allow data upto 150mb in size to be sent to the server which is just crazy.

you have also allowed key_buffer half of your allocated ram :0

I dont know how busy your vps is, i also believe you have more than one oxwall installed on your vps so your needs would vary to mine, below is a my.cnf file that i feel woud be more suited to your vps, backup the current file, replace with whats listed below, then restart mysql (sometime it will fail on the first restart and work on the second attempt.

at full load (150 connections) your mysql will only use 1.5gb of ram based on the config below according to >

tmpdir=/dev/shm
max_connections = 150
max_allowed_packet = 6M
query_cache_size = 180M
tmp_table_size = 128M
max_heap_table_size = 128M
thread_cache = 128M
table_cache = 256M
key_buffer_size = 64M
local-infile=0

Joseph
Joseph Apr 25 '12
my server crashes often no doubt it crashed just about 20 minutes before this post actually I run one oxwall on my current vps and it has about 20-50 users at max on at one time but normally we have around 20 at peak hours however I do plan on setting my server to run more efficiently so if you still suggest this setting with knowing my number of concurrent users let me know and I will proceed testing these settings
Mark
Mark Apr 25 '12
attached is a copy of the my.cnf file that i use, i have 2gb ram on my VPS, you should also set/configure apache to have a similar amount of max connections as mysql.

You should also read up on mysql, php and apache optimization, you should also install a php cache of some kind such as xcache.

Attachments:
  my.cnf.txt (0.68Kb)
Joseph
Joseph Apr 25 '12
well right now I am waiting on a tech to configure nginx on my server I will take all into consideration I am willing to pay if someone would be interested in picking up some money for helping me optimize performance
Mark
Mark Apr 26 '12
following these tips > https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/best-practices/rules_intro will help to improve your page loading time, one of the main things i did was collect all the javascript and css files from each individual plugin and placed them into one file so in stead of the browser having to load 8 files it only has to load 2. Also enabling browser caching (leverage caching i believe its called) and compression make a major difference on the user side of things.

However im pretty certain that if you remove arrowchat your load average will drop dramatically.

why pay someone when all the info you need is out there? learn it for yourself :) i did, i left school with no qualifications and everything i know about the web is self taught.

if you look at the image below it is a copy of my load average, the first high readings were when i had arrowchat installed and no optimization done.you should also turn off anything that is not being used, i have both ssh and ftp turned off and only turn them on if i need them.

Attachments:
  load-month.png (17.84Kb)
Joseph
Joseph Apr 26 '12
I would remove arrowchat however oxwall has changed how their chat works with friends only and my user base does not like that when I use the ajaxim my user numbers drop so its a situation of keeping them happy as well that's why I never understand oxwall's thinking yes it saves on resources to go friends only but it also effects the users and what good is saving resources with a dead site? however I will say this is my arrowchat usage from one file which seems to be the only thing wrong

/usr/bin/php /home/adultjug/public_html/ow_plugins/arrowchat/external.php

The Forum post is edited by Joseph Apr 26 '12
Mark
Mark Apr 26 '12
yeh i noticed that file got excessive hit, i think thats the file it loads everytime it reads its heartbeat, (set to 3 seconds by default) 
Joseph
Joseph Apr 26 '12
I am talking to arrowchat on how to set the server to work with this they claim its possible to change it and make it work correctly I will let you know if interested
Pages: 1 2 »