We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Problem with member invite in Admin User Management Panel | Forum

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Oct 27 '15
This feature worked fameously until I updated to v1.8.0. Previous to this version - I believe it was v1.7.2, it worked fine. 

Our site is membership via Invitation only, so without this feature, I must return to admin approval. I do not wish to add more work than I already have. I hope someone can check this out and see what gives. I am not using the SMTP mail mode. I tried that mode and it still doesn't send out even one email address, though I used multi-email invitations, so the mode isn't the issue.

If you need to log on to our site, I can give you the admin login info.

The site is located at http://social.usshancockassociation.org.

Thank you,

Jake Jaccard,

Web Tender

ross Team
ross Oct 27 '15
Jake, the invitation e-mails are sent by cron

When you invite users the invitation e-mail goes out of the ow_base_mail table and goes to mail server, as soon as it goes out of table software is no longer responsible for the mail 

Please go to your phpmyadmin to the database ow_base_mail table and check if the table empties out 

If your cron is properly configured and runs, let's say every minute or five, the table should be empty within next 2 or 6 minutes

If the table empties out, then the issue is related to your mail server and you need to contact your hosting provider to check the issue. 

If the table does not empty out, then you need to configure your cron properly

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Oct 28 '15
Thanks Ross, I will check it out, and let you know.

Jake

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Nov 12 '15
I still have not resolved this issue. The guys at arvixe.com told me that the crib job is working but still no mail is being sent.

Any others reporting this error? I'm frustrated and need to get it working.

ross Team
ross Nov 12 '15
Jake, does the mail appear in ow_base_mail table and goes out from there?
ross Team
ross Nov 12 '15
Tammy, please stop posting things which has nothing to do with the issue original poster has, if you want to discuss something use General Chat for that
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 12 '15
it has everything to do with it i have read few posts here now with arvixe.com  cron problems so the the bloody hell do you thing is his problem its cron
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 12 '15
and the arvixe.com  cron problem start after there take over 
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 12 '15

Quote from Jake Jaccard I still have not resolved this issue. The guys at arvixe.com told me that the crib job is working but still no mail is being sent.

Any others reporting this error? I'm frustrated and need to get it working.

what does this say 

my answer has every bloody thing to do with this 
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 12 '15
try thishttp://social.usshancockassociation.org/ow_cron/run.php

Not Found

The requested URL /ow_cron/run.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

ross Team
ross Nov 12 '15
We need to make sure that the cron is not working before making such allegations. 

Jake, make sure you have ow_cron/run.php file  

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Nov 28 '15
Here's a fact, Arvixe.com has been having some problem lately, and where before, their service tickets were speedily taken care of, now, it is almost nil. I trust they will get their problem fixed, but I believe what has happened over there is that they have been  hacked big time. no one is saying anything, and it is becoming disturbing. Cron is a very important part of Oxwall and other software, that I use on my websites. and I am nervous that Oxwall is going to crash without the Cron Job working. I have over 119 users at present, and they trust in coming to our Members Only Area (http://social.usshancockassociation.org), to have access to things such as Cruise Books, the quarterly newsletter, etc., where non members can't. So if Tammy is reporting that others from Arvixe.com hosting service are having problems with Cron, then i am right in supposing the problem is with Arvixe.com, not OXWALL.

Here's another case. I use OXWALL on my own Arvixe server spot, part of a Family History Site. (www.jaccardandfamilies.org), called the "Family Gathering" - the Cron job was working there, until I began to notice that it was no longer working on the first site I mentioned. When the family history site OXWALL's cron no longer was working, it just has to be Arvixe. because I still am running v.172 on that site, and was fearful of updating to 180 because i thought at the time, it was caused by the upgrade of OXWALL. But I now don't believe that any more. Don't want to waste your time, so  if you want, you can close this Ticket, until further notice. I am going to keep on Arvixe.com's butt until they get it fixed, or I am out of there!

Jake Jaccard
Web Tender,
USS Hancock Association Home Page

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 28 '15

Quote from ross Tammy, please stop posting things which has nothing to do with the issue original poster has, if you want to discuss something use General Chat for that
now ross do you see my post you deleted has every bloody thing to do with this problem 

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Nov 29 '15
Message to Ross:

I do have the file, and have it listed in cron, using the absolute path; before, I had it using the URL path - and it was working that way too, but all of a sudden Cron stopped working, and I am convinced it is a problem with Arvixe.com and not OXWALL - and recently they had some major issue, which they did not tell the clients much about. I suspect whatever it was, it affected a lot of their servers. I am in a "Holding pattern" or as we say here in the States, "The Jury is still out."

For Tammy, "Bloody", if you knew what that term means, you might stop using it, as it is referring to the Sacred Blood of Jesus Christ" ok? you might be British, and if so, they all need to realize they are cursing the only One who can Save them! 

Back to Business: I have already said, I am convinced it is Arvixe at fault here, but hey, "to err is human; to forgive is Divine" Let's just continue being friends. - 

Thanks, 

Jake

ross Team
ross Nov 29 '15
Jake, by going to http://social.usshancockassociation.org/ow_cron/run.php I don't see Not Found error any more

and you said the file is there. 

What about other steps? Does the mail leave the table? Does it appear in the table at all?

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Nov 30 '15
Thank you Ross, no, the mail in the ow_mail table isn't removed.

it is there after the 5 minutes and continues to be there.

I just got a Support email from ARVIXE.COM and they told me that they do not support mass mailing, but I said, CRON doesn't work PERIOD,  and many procedures in OXWALL need Cron to work to clean up junk files, etc. This is also true for other software, such as PHPBB, etc.

I also told them that the mass mailing is used to send out a Newsletter to our members, and two, is used to invite friends to come and join, and supports up to 50 email addresses using a add-on module. 

ross Team
ross Nov 30 '15
Yes, if the mail is still there, that means the cron is not running or not properly configured. 
Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Dec 29 '15
Ross, this is an update to the cron job and mail issue I have been dealing with. ARVIXE fixed the cron so it's back working, and does remove the mail from the base_mail table, however, the mail doesn't get sent, I am using my personal email address to see if the invite is sent, and nope, it isn't. So where is the mail going to? junk cache? There is something wrong with another part of this process. This began after v1.80 was installed. I have had to send the invites manually through my own personal email system. 

If i could have the mail invite sent directly to my  email address, I could then forward it on to the intended party. What script would I need to edit to put in the mail() code?

perhaps the script that passes the mail to the base_mail table? Then I could manage this myself. 

Thanks,

Jake

ross Team
ross Dec 29 '15
If the mail goes out of the table it is sent to mail server, as soon as the mail leaves the table, software is no longer responsible for the mail 
tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 29 '15
so here we are 6 weeks latter and wow whats the problem exactly what i posted that was removed 
ARVIXE 

Pages: 1 2 »