We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Problem with member invite in Admin User Management Panel | Forum

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 29 '15
I am on Arvixe, and a little while back I had to change my cron from the default wget to the local path, and disable smtp before emails would go out. I went and looked at my cron it has now been changed with a prefix
nice -n19 ionice -c2 -n7 /usr/local/bin/php /home/hosting user name/public_html/folder where oxwall is installed/oxwall/ow_cron/run.php

Of course I removed my hosting account username, and the folder name of my Oxwall installation. Try this, and disable SMTP, and see if it works. I also recommend the cron test plugin in the store.

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/1060
tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 29 '15
Not much good if u cant use smtp

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 29 '15
Went back and tried SMTP again. Had to change the host port from mail.mysite.com to the server "alternate" name. Now it's working again.
tammy harris
tammy harris Dec 29 '15
Sounds like they just moved every one off arvinx to there servers with out tell anybody 

I tryed bluehost  n not knowing the mob had bought them as well n there servers are useless 

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Dec 29 '15
May have. I don't know where the cron prefix came from. It wasn't there the last time i looked, which has been a while. But it's working. Maybe this will help some others. I don't know if the wget will work now or not. You know the old saying; if it's not broke, don't fix it. lol
1. cron works "check"
2. SMTP works "check"

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Jan 6 '16
Can someone there adjust the script (or name it for me + location in ow_core???

that actually sends out the mail one by one for mass mail. If I knew which script it is that actually creates the code=XYZxyz1xy then I could place a mail(to me) of the email sent, and then do it  myself. (send) that is. Since no matter what i do, the ow_mail table does empty out, but no mail is sent. I can only guess that either the cron job command is in need of adjustment, or ARVIXE doesn't want their members to be sending out mass mail, and I am guessing, but the former seems to be the answer.

tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 7 '16
php mail should work 

Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Jan 7 '16
Tried both of the mail options, nothing works

give me a cron job command to use, and I'll try that.

Here is what Arvixe said about putting blocks on client's mass-mail:

Hello

We apologize for the delay in response. Due to a sudden influx of tickets, there has been a delay in resolving your issue. We are extremely sorry for the delay.

At Arvixe we are not blocking any action for cron jobs. If for some reason corn jobs are not working, it could be because of php version issue or because of site update which need further investigation.

Please let us if you need any further assistance in this case.

Yatin Thakur
Technical Operations Officer

So, now I don't know what to do. 

BTW, on v1.7.2, which I have running on a family history site, does work with the Cron Job, but the commandline on that one is different than the one that was set up on the site in question. Go Figure. Until I learn otherwise I am going to suspect that it is a software issue from Oxwall. Sorry, but it all points to the upgrade to 1.8.0

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jan 7 '16
Did you try the cron command I had previously listed?
nice -n19 ionice -c2 -n7 /usr/local/bin/php /home/hosting user name/public_html/folder where oxwall is installed/oxwall/ow_cron/run.php

For SMTP I am using
Host Port: server.arvixe.com Port: 465 "server being the server you are on. You should see this in the email Arvixe sent when you created the account"
Username: my site email address
Password: my hosting account password
Secure Connection: SSL

Everything works with these settings on Arvixe.
Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Jan 9 '16
Thanks Darryl, I will look and try your suggestions when I have the time.

Jake in TN USA

ross Team
ross Jan 11 '16
Jake, if the mails go out from the table that means cron is working properly and properly configured. Again, as soon as the mail leaves the table, software is no longer responsible for it as it goes to the mail server, which sends the mail to the corresponding e-mails. Something is wrong with the mail server. Have you tried smtp?
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jan 11 '16
@Ross. The problem I had in the past was that the default "wget" cron that softaculous created would seem to work. The mails would clear out of the database, but would never show up after that. Arvixe changed my cron to the direct path, and everything started working. They have since added the prefix to the cron after the buy out. I went back recently, and tried the smtp with the settings I listed above, and it is now working for me on Arvixe. I also had to start using the server name when accessing cpanel instead of mysite.arvixe.com. Using the server name in the host port may be the real key. It may not be the cron in the end.
Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Feb 1 '16
would you mind sending me your full command in the cron Job?

the one I'm using does empty out the mail from the table, but the test email addresses I use are my own, and I never get any invite from the oxwall mass mail widget.

This is getting old. I am about to just dump oxwall. Version 1.7.2 worked fine; it all went amuck when I switched over to v.1.8.0

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Feb 1 '16
As listed above. This is how my cron looks on Arvixe. I have mine set to every 5 min. because I don't have a large amount of activity. The block look like this.

*/5  * * * *   (The only time setting is for minutes)

Arvixe changed it a while back to the direct path when I was having issues with mail not going out. I'm guessing they added the prefix "nice -n19 ionice -c2 -n7" after the buy out. The hosting username is the username you use to log into cpanel. The rest is simply the path to the run.php file.
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 1 '16
if my hosting just changed someting tiny let alone a huge thing like this with out tell me and give me plenty warning of when it was going to happen and what changes i need to do  i would tell them where to go 
ross Team
ross Feb 1 '16
Jake, PM me your Cpanel access details and admin website access details, I'll take a look at the cron command and mass mailing issue. 
Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Jul 2 '16
Thanks Ross for your help; as for Tammy's response. That is not my nature to do such things. They are also human and prone to overlook or botch things. The Hosting Company is as far as I am concerned one of the best out there (ARVIXE.COM). It was an oversight on their part, and I can overlook it. I would highly recommend Arvixe.com as a good Hosting company; in fact, I am one of their Affiliates.

Jake Jaccard,

Winchester, TN.

http://social.usshancockassociation.org

ross Team
ross Jul 11 '16
What was the issue exactly? In case some other member runs into it as well. 
Jake Jaccard
Jake Jaccard Apr 12 '18
Darryl I also had Cron Job issues until I did the following:

and I didn't have to disable smtp...

usr/local/php55/bin/php -q /home/[Arvixe username]/public_html/[Oswald folder]/ow_cron/run.php >/dev/null 2>&1

Note: you should backup database and files often. Also I assign Oswall to use php v5.5

I am running Oxwall v184

Jake Jaccard

Webmaster

http://usshancockassociation.org

Oswall location:

http://social.usshancockassociation.org

Good Luck!

Quote from Darryl B Did you try the cron command I had previously listed?

For SMTP I am using
Host Port: server.arvixe.com Port: 465 "server being the server you are on. You should see this in the email Arvixe sent when you created the account"
Username: my site email address
Password: my hosting account password
Secure Connection: SSL

Everything works with these settings on Arvixe.

The Forum post is edited by Jake Jaccard Apr 12 '18
Pages: « 1 2