We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

The mobile version is miserable | Forum

Marvin Blancc
Marvin Blancc Oct 31 '15
Hello Guys,

I joined Oxwall 1.8. last week to build a community. It´s an nice project but the mobile version is miserable! User can´t edit there profile or change there profile picture. There are also too few pages. No coints and billing support. No gifts etc. Unusable to work successfully.

A good mobile version is almost more important than the desktop version. 76% of Internet users surf beyond a smartphone and here is no good Oxwall mobile alternative on market. The Plugin "Mobile for Oxwall by Aron" has the same problems.

- If someone whrite a message from destop version to an user with mobile version, the message is displayed in a speech bubble.
- If someone whrite a message from mobile version to an user with mobile version, the message is not displayed in a speech bubble.

I hope that the next update provides a better mobile version.

Best regards
tammy harris
tammy harris Oct 31 '15
dont hold your breath 
mobile version has been out almost 2 years now 
so 2 years to get to where it is so should be about 6 more to wait 
Den Team
Den Nov 13 '15
Topic was moved from Oxwall Store.
Anitaku
Anitaku Nov 13 '15
Your best bet is to either make your own mobile version and/or app for your site or use a responsive theme and disable the oxwall mobile site cause it sucks and won't be changing anytime soon. 
ketkew
ketkew Nov 13 '15

Quote from Phil W Your best bet is to either make your own mobile version and/or app for your site or use a responsive theme and disable the oxwall mobile site cause it sucks and won't be changing anytime soon. 
This would be your best shot :)
Pete
Pete Nov 17 '15
You or bloody lucky if you can get the mobile working on your site ,mine does not work 

ketkew
ketkew Nov 17 '15
Just disable the mobile version in your admin and search for a responsive theme in the store. There are plenty great responsive mobile themes for under $30 available.. once installed you enter an almost perfect world

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 17 '15
responsive theme is no where near prefect 
add a few plugins that are made so bad
take smileys for example and add heaps cool smiley 
they then have to get loaded every page even pages theres no smileys at all 
as theres no standards on plugin dev wont optimise then
which bloats your pages to over 4 mb  very quickly 

now try and visit a site that over 4 mb in size on a mobile device with slow net 
you will soon see its not a perfect world

no one will stay on a site that takes over 30 seconds a page load 
and they wont come back

the mobile site is so important and is a must have 
ketkew
ketkew Nov 17 '15
I was talking about themes here.. not plugins Tammy.
I use +/- 40 plugins which are compatible with Ox 1.8 and a responsive theme with no problem at all. If the smileys plugin doesn't work on your config, then DON't use it and blame the developer instead of spamming this topic.

Most of the responsive themes use the oxwall basic features, while the standard oxwall mobile theme isn't even in beta stage in my opinion, and that was my point.

The Forum post is edited by ketkew Nov 17 '15
Pete
Pete Nov 17 '15
i have a few members  and use a responsive theme,if there is a few members online its as slow as hell,you rely need a mobile site 

i well just wait until its a bit better the mobile in oxwal  and then get someone to sort it out far me 

The mobile is not that bad in oxwall  ,just needs more things  added to it 

The Forum post is edited by Pete Nov 17 '15
Musik
Musik Nov 17 '15
A responsive theme and a site that's well maintained (on a good server, well-programmed and supported plugins, a content delivery system, browser caching, etc.) is far superior to a separate mobile version. This is coming from someone who works in the website design/development industry. Our company stopped developing separate mobile versions of sites years ago. You are far better served from a user experience and development standpoint to go responsive.
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 17 '15
i have a responsive theme and use @ media not to show lots stuff on mobiles and tablets
i use all cache headers and opcache memcached nignx and so on

Australia the network speed is find for responsive 
but many my members are from Philippines and other countries with not so good network
and the desktop site is way to much for there networks and they have to use the mobile site 

just use responsive wont get you any browny points with google 
your site wont get indexed as mobile friendly 

and more and more reasons so are  your still foolish enough to think just use responsive theme 

sites are not about easy for developers its about end user experience 

ketkew
ketkew Nov 18 '15
@musik +1

But I partly also agree with tammy (about the speed), and therefore this would always be an interesting discussion.

There are millions of websites who compare what's best.. but what's best? It is just what you want and what your budget is.. (read this nice article, especially the last paragraph..)
The Forum post is edited by ketkew Nov 18 '15
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 18 '15
  1. Improved SEO. Google has stated that mobile responsive sites are given preference in search engine results pages (SERPs) over sites that are not optimized for mobile devices.

is a complete lie 
    search your site on google and see if u have the your site is mobile friendly with just use responsive theme

and the rest of it has nothing to do with mobile sites 

The Biggest Difference Between Responsive and Adaptive is Your Bottom Line
ketkew
ketkew Nov 18 '15
You can test your website here and look if your website pass the mobile friendly test.

All of my websites with all the same responsive theme pass the test, except one (flockdogs) because it use aron's crap plugin 'startpage pro' which isn't responsive..
The Forum post is edited by ketkew Nov 18 '15
Musik
Musik Nov 18 '15

Quote from Tammy i have a responsive theme and use @ media not to show lots stuff on mobiles and tablets
i use all cache headers and opcache memcached nignx and so on

Australia the network speed is find for responsive 
but many my members are from Philippines and other countries with not so good network
and the desktop site is way to much for there networks and they have to use the mobile site 

just use responsive wont get you any browny points with google 
your site wont get indexed as mobile friendly 

and more and more reasons so are  your still foolish enough to think just use responsive theme 

sites are not about easy for developers its about end user experience 

It sounds that your issues are more network/infrastructure related than Oxwall related.

Your statement about SEO is also incorrect. Responsive is marked by Google as mobile friendly. This changed as of mid-2015. Here is Google's official take on the matter, stated in question #8. 

To all, I'd recommend going the responsive route. Support developers in the Oxwall store who are creating fantastic responsive themes. This will encourage them to support those themes and create more.

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 18 '15
Then tell me how come i used responsive  theme for years and never got the mobile thing on my site untill a few days after i enabled the mobile site when there made forums work on mobile 

Responsive  themes are great but theres lots plugins that dont support it or mobile view

Tecca
Tecca Nov 18 '15
A responsive theme done correctly will be marked as mobile friendly. I'm not even sure why there's a mobile version, it's 2015. The mobile version via browser should simply be a working responsive theme. An Android/iOS app, on the other hand, is entirely different and would be much better than supporting a mobile version. No point in building two separate themes when it can all be done with some planning on the desktop version.
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 20 '15
1. Resp. theme much better for mobile than mobile site (right now)

2. DB and server load are not so high, You need straight hands to make it working, using correct sql, php, etc. settings

3. Use plugins that You really need and through out shit.

4. Regularly clean DB (manually)

5. Modify css

And You will be happy!

Some time ago I had one month load with 25-50 users online non-stop. Abt 5 hits in second. No problems! Website slowed down but to much! I keep my site on SHARED HOSTING with so little memory, cpu's and i/o rate that You could cry! Every week I read and learn how to optimize site, db, etc. If Your community going slow - You are a bad admin! Devs done what they done - now Your turn! 

Christer
Christer Nov 24 '15
Well I have responive themes and thet are ok but to use send message functions its ok on android but ipad and iphone we not get it to work, crap on 3 theme we have so far
Pages: 1 2 »