We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Social Share Image Defult Not changing on fb... | Forum

Michele
Michele Nov 6 '15
See Screenshots. Nothing is working and I keep getting the orange circle when trying to share my site on facebook.   I've researched online and found the fb page debugger which also lets you immediately "fetch new scrap information" which I've done several times.....  

I just wanted the image added to be used in social share ONLY. NOT MESSAGE SHARE. The opposite has happened since I uploaded image to social share and fetched new scrap info. Now the Social Share upload seems to be in og:image  (I didn't want it there- I liked preview picking up whatever was on the hope page better.)  and STILL ISN'T SHOWING IN SOCIAL SHARE- Instead it's STILL THE ORANGE CIRCLE. 

So I uploaded and saved that.... and "fetch new scrap information" and now I get this:

And it does only share the orange circle on my timeline. 

This isn't what the plugin says will happen.
Michele
Michele Nov 6 '15
Oe and here's the facebook debugger where you can get the new info it picks up, if you're not aware for some reason https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 7 '15
i reverted back to 1.7 social share plugin as the og image does not work in it 
1.8 version it works everywhere on every page gets the same image 
fb debug will show you the old image but actual share it or post in on facebook will be the right image 
The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Nov 7 '15
Michele
Michele Nov 7 '15
Thank you so much Tammy.... good to know I'm not the only one with issues! I did try sharing it after the new pic upload and fb debug/ fetch new scrap info and it still only shares the Orange Circle.

Will try reverting back to to 1.7 and see if it works. Thanks!!

Hope 1.8 will be fixed
Michele
Michele Nov 7 '15
Ohe wait I just realized the store isn't going to give me the earlier versions.... Actually I just searched and the only thing I found was this http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/240 . Hope someone can give me 1.7 or provide an update to 1.8
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 7 '15
social  share 1.7.5 
Attachments:
  socialsharing.zip (48Kb)
ross Team
ross Nov 10 '15
Michele, we just tested the issue you reported and we cannot reproduce that. See screenshots

Please PM me your admin details, we'll take a look at the issue. 

Michele
Michele Nov 10 '15
Thanks for testing Ross. Huh, it definitely does work on yours with those screen shots. I'll pm you my details.

And thanks Tammy for always being so helpful!
ross Team
ross Nov 10 '15
Michele, I'm sorry but I can't reproduce the issue on your side. See screenshots. Probably your browser is cached, please clean the cache in your browser or try another one. 
Michele
Michele Nov 11 '15
Ross, Hmm that is so odd that there's proof right there it works for you. I've just tried re-setting the cache of 3 different browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox)... and the issue persists. See screen shot.

I also just tested on my mom's computer and hers does the same thing... and Only the orange square is being posted to facebook.

Here's the shot... I should have written in test that I DID clear cache too.

ross Team
ross Nov 11 '15
Michele did you fetch new scrape information on facebook debugger?
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 11 '15
Michele just download the plugin version i posted before and over write the whole plugin 
clear site cache 
problem solved 

i have try show ross and the oxwall team this problem but they refuse to uninstall and reinstall there plugin on there demo so it will show the errors there 

if you have that version i posted and run update all is good but if u uninstall it and reinstall it you then get the error or on a fresh full install you get the problem 
ross Team
ross Nov 11 '15
What problem Tammy? We tested that on Michele website and we could not reproduce the issue the original poster claims to have, even on her side. as a proof we provided screenshots. 
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 11 '15
just revert the plugin back 
fixes every thing
shares the right image
the right image shows up in fb debug
add this widgets grabs the right image
twitter share grabs right image if you dont use the social share twitter (as the twitter share does not share images )and use original twitter button
share profile url or group url to facebook grabs the right image 

tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 11 '15
and that post just took almost one minute to post it just sat there spinning 
and its about the same time the forums vanished  the other day 
Michele
Michele Nov 12 '15
Hi there Ross. Yes I rescraped using fb debugger *after* clearing all browser caches.... everything is still showing exactly as my screen shots above, for both the fb debug page (after hitting fetch new info) and fb sharing.... still only the orange circle.

It's so odd that it won't work for me (or even my friends who share- as of today they are still only able to share the orange circle). Is it based on IP? No one in my town can share the right image.  I imagine Tammy may be right. If you guys uninstall/ reinstall will it show some errors?
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 12 '15
over write the plugin with the above copy and see if that fixes your problems
ross Team
ross Nov 12 '15
we have tested on different PC on different FB account still we cannot reproduce the issue. See screenshots. I'm sorry but if we cannot reproduce the issue we cannot assist you in this case, definitely something is wrong on your side and it has something to do with caching. 
Attachments:
  Update1.png (123Kb)
  update3.png (79Kb)
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 12 '15
try this
shows og images is profile avatar but is shares the header image
http://faithintheworldnetwork.com/user/paulg

same with groups and im not going waste my time on the rest the pages it dont work
http://faithintheworldnetwork.com/groups/1
Michele
Michele Nov 13 '15
Thanks guys for your persistent help!. Well I just tried on yet another new computer so no caching issues. Same thing, only orange. Tammy if you try to share http://faithintheworldnetwork.com/ (you can test by audience 'only me' so no one sees) I'm wondering if you get the orange circle? )

Those pages Tammy posted luckily I do get the option to choose thumb nails and then can find the appropriate images... my other concern is when I share in private message I then only get the og 'building pic' (the one and only place it does show up haha) and I can't choose others like I used to.

I'll let you guys have one more look and then I'll try reverting to 1.7.5, if there's no more ideas.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »